Dudley - old St Thomas burial ground at Queens Cross

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Dudley - old St Thomas burial ground at Queens Cross

Postby chriscol » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:47 pm

Hi All - First post here! Wonder if anyone here may be able to help.

Is anyone here familiar with the old Queens Cross Cemetery? From what I can gather, this is separate from the current council cemetery (confusingly also at Queens Cross) which opened in 1904. Instead this was one of seemingly several burial grounds belonging to St Thomas's.

I'm trying to locate an old grave from 1872. The monumental inscription was recorded here - http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~uktranscriptions/genealogy/StThomas_Dudley_MIs.htm - so the headstone existed until the mid-20th century at least. I suspect the headstone may no longer be there, but I'm finding it hard to locate much specific information about this particular burial ground, where it was, and whether it still exists.

I'm wondering if anyone familiar with the area might be able to shed light on the location of the cemetery - and whether the old 19th-century graves are still there? (And if not, then what might have happened to them.)

Any info much appreciated!
chriscol

Re: Dudley - old St Thomas burial ground at Queens Cross

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:11 am

Which is the name you are looking for?

I think there are Cemetary plans of Graves at the archives but not too sure.
Especially if there was a MI with it.
Northern Lass

Postby BC Wench » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:08 am

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

There are 7 cemeteries/crematoria which come under Dudley Council's control - this is the link for explanation

https://www.dudley.gov.uk/residents/reg ... of-dudley/

Dudley has one public cemetery at Queen's Cross with the one at Gornal Wood being a cemetery and crematorium. If you go to this link

https://www.dudley.gov.uk/residents/reg ... -cemetery/

then scroll down the page, click on Dudley Cemetery Plan this will automatically download the Plan.

Then you can go to this link

https://www5.dudley.gov.uk/Genealogy/GenSearch.aspx

just type the name in the boxes, i.e. Arthur Pargeter (my grandad), click "submit" 2 people are named as Arthur Pargeter. The first Arthur is my grandad buried at Dudley Cemetery, click on Arthur Pargeter underlined in blue, it gives more information, by clicking on Grave Number underlined in blue it will give you other names and their positions within that grave. Unfortunately for me, my grandad didn't have a headstone, but I did find the plot.

The info you found on rootsweb I would presume, was taken from info which is held at Dudley Archives & Local History Service.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:24 am

So are the Old Graves the poster is talking about located at St Thomas Church Barb?
Northern Lass

Postby BC Wench » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:23 pm

Sorry, didn't pick up on the year 1872.

1881 Map of Dudley Cemetery.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/120898513

On right hand side within a triangle of Queen's Cross (Road) and Blowers Green Road. This is now all grassed over, but I seem to remember there being a Mortuary Chapel there in the late 1950s/early 1960s (or am I just imagining it) as we used go to the swimming baths just over the road.

This cemetery was an over-flow cemetery from St Thomas' Church before the (New) Queen's Cross Cemetery on Stourbridge Road (Springs Mire) was in place in 1904.

I can only presume that the graves/headstones were moved from this old cemetery to the Queen's Cross Cemetery in Stourbridge Road. The best thing to do would be to contact Dudley Archives and ask the question.

It all depends NL where on the rootschat list that the poster found the name they are looking for, is listed under burials at St Thomas's Church or the cemetery.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:42 pm

There you go Poster and our Barb knows her stuff! :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:32 am

Moving this to the Black Country History section under church info.

Poster if you are after a particular name that you need help and info with pls post that name in the
Black country Genealogy section and we will do our best to help.
Northern Lass

Postby chriscol » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:32 am

Dear Barb and Northern Lass - thank you very much for the information :-) Sorry for the delay, I missed that this had (quite rightly) been moved!

That cemetery between Queens Cross and Blowers Green must be the place. As far as I can make out, there are three main sections in that rootsweb list of MIs: St Thomas's churchyard itself, then a list of burials that were moved from St Thomas's to be reinterred in the borough cemetery (presumably the one that opened in 1904), and finally an area that the list describes as Queens Cross cemetery – which I guess must refer to the overflow cemetery you mention, Barb. The headstone I'm looking for (AMOS/COLLEY) is listed under Queens Cross.

Sounds like it's all been landscaped now, which is a shame. But it would be good to learn what happened to the old graves – whether they were moved to the 1904 cemetery along with those burials that are listed in the "relocated from St Thomas's" section of the rootsweb MIs, or whether they were disposed of in some different way. I'll contact Dudley Archives like you suggest, Barb, and see if they are able to shed light.

Thanks again!
chriscol

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:58 am

Running with John Amos and Sarah Colley in the Black Country genealogy section on 2 threads

let us know what you have will you? :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:29 pm

Which is your Line down from Thomas Colley and Sarah Amos
??
Northern Lass

Postby NethertonWench » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:08 pm

Hi
Don’t know if you’ve found out the info you need as it’s now Aug 2023.

I am from Dudley and used to live by Queens Cross Cemetery, Stourbridge Road.

If you go from St Thomas Church (Top Church) grounds at the top of Dudley town down Stourbridge Road towards Scott’s Green, Holly Hall on the left hand side halfway down to Queens Cross Cemetery which opened in 1904 there were graves.
There are still no houses built on the grassy area where they were and as far as I’m aware some graves are still there on this grassy area on Stourbridge Rd.
NethertonWench

Return to Black Country Church Information