Pear Tree Lane

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Pear Tree Lane

Postby LisaPaUS » Mon May 16, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi,
My Willetts relatives lived on Pear Tree Lane forever! I was wondering f anyone would have photos of it in the late 1800's to early1900's. They resided between #22 and #25. Also I would love it if someone could describe it for me as I have no photos of it!

Thanks so much, Lisa
LisaPaUS

Re: Pear Tree Lane

Postby linell » Tue May 17, 2011 5:51 am

Hi Lisa, Pear Tree Lane was a Street of Terraced Back to Back Cottages which lead into Lawrence Lane, as I remember it was on a bit of a hill from the Blue Ball Inn which was on the Corner, near a Chain Manufactures. Here are some pictures of the Blue Ball:-

http://www.blackcountrygob.com/Photogal ... p?album=48

Linell.
linell

Postby linell » Tue May 17, 2011 8:14 am

The Chain Works were 'Burton and Delingpole' the workmen used to pile into the Blue Ball Pub, Lunchtimes and after work, it was always packed with Chain Workers. Linell.
linell

Postby LisaPaUS » Tue May 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks Linell! Any bits of history and memories are greatly appreciated!

My Willetts were chain and nail makers in the 1800's and early 1900's on Pear Tree Lane! Is there a way to find out if they worked out of their homes or if they worked at a business?
LisaPaUS

Postby snoopysue » Tue May 17, 2011 5:35 pm

I think they worked from home.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby linell » Tue May 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi Lisa, a lot of the Pear Tree Willetts are on the Black Country Connections tree, they were legendry! :lol: Dudley Archives could hold lists of Chain Manufacturers and their employees, would think that was later circa 1900, I doubt if there are many if any records from the early 1800's :?: There again with the name Willetts, would you know if it was one of yours or not :?: If they did work for a Chain Manufacturer it would have probably been Burton and Delingpole, which was just down the road. Some men did have their own Chain and Nail Shops, but there again some Men would go to work and leave their wives and children to run the family shop, they were all very industrious, working 14 hour days trying to make a living. Try buying some books on Old Hill, you will find out loads of interesting information. Hope this helps from Linell.
linell

Postby LisaPaUS » Tue May 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks Sue and Linell!

They definitely have alot of interesting history and have been discussed by many! :lol: I met two cousins in England while researching them. Anna sent me several books a few years ago and I love them.

I have been tracing them back to the 1700's with alot of help from many kind souls in the Old Hill area! And I want to eventually put all the photos and information into book form. (Someday :wink: ) So I am trying to pinpoint as much exact info regarding them as I can.

So I really appreciate all of the help!
LisaPaUS

Postby linell » Wed May 18, 2011 5:07 am

Hi Lisa, which Willetts are you descended from, will see if I have any information, I have copies of the Land Tax Records going back to 1771. Your book sounds a lovely idea, I have done the same, have the more recent descendants in an Album, the older information is on line. My Mom also did a family album. so we have two. Happy hunting from Linell.
linell

Postby linell » Wed May 18, 2011 9:34 am

Hi again Lisa, just realised that you must be Lisa descended from Elisha Willetts, I remember years ago looking him up for you on my old Staffs 1841 disc, lovely to hear from you after all these years, we have a link here to Elisha:-

http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/fa ... tts-Family

Hope this helps from Lin.
linell

Postby Antie Em » Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 am

Ah Lin - the days of the census on disc - you could always rely on the transcriptions :-)
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby linell » Wed May 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Yes indeed Maggie, shame the 1841 wasn't indexed, spent hours going through that looking for ancestors. :lol:

Linell.
linell

Postby snoopysue » Wed May 18, 2011 4:44 pm

linell wrote:Yes indeed Maggie, shame the 1841 wasn't indexed, spent hours going through that looking for ancestors. :lol:

Linell.

Oh what pleasures I've missed :wink:
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby linell » Wed May 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Yes Sue, you lot don't know how lucky you are, no Ancestry or Find My Past in our day, we thought it was heaven when the Mormons put the 1881 Census on their site. :lol:

Linell.
linell

Postby LisaPaUS » Wed May 18, 2011 5:34 pm

You have an amazing memory Linell! That's me! I'm descended from Elisha Willetts!

Wow, you put yours in a book too! I hope I get to do it! I have alot of ideas but actually accomplishing it is another story! :P

I am a fan of modern technology when it comes to these records! If not I'd never have found half of the information I have from all over the world! :wink:

But I don't mind going through original records by hand either! I just love all the old history i find!
LisaPaUS

Postby linell » Thu May 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Always here to help Lisa, if you need anything looked up just ask.

Best wishes from Linell.
linell

Next

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History