Bury Hill, Oldbury

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Bury Hill, Oldbury

Postby Antie Em » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:56 am

Just looking at the lovely photo of Bury Hill Park, recently added to the gallery. I remember it from when I was a kid, playing on the swings in the summer and sledging down the bank in the winter.

Just reminded me of some research I have been doing into my mom's side of the family. Frederick Benjamin Martin, was an Engineer and Iron Founder and he owned the Swan Foundry in Taylors Lane, Oldbury. His address in 1911 was Bury Hill House, Rounds Green. Someone at Smethwick Archives told me that Bury Hill House was in the grounds of the park, but I haven't been able to find a photo of it, or to confirm where it was. Can't find it in the electoral register at Smethwick

In 1891 he was living at at 27 Dingle Street, Oldbury - Brass & Iron Foundry, and in 1901 he was living at 61 Taylors Lane, Oldbury -Brass & Iron Founder.

He died in 1913, but I have been unable to find a will, his wife didn't die until 1941. Has anyone ever heard of Bury Hill House or have any information on the Swan Foundry? - I don't think it is anything to do with the Swan Foundry later opening in Bromford Lane

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Re: Bury Hill, Oldbury

Postby cakemorebloke » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:03 pm

wasnt there usd to bea park near the old bus garage i used to go to little sweet shop round the corner too
cakemorebloke

Postby Antie Em » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:09 pm

cakemorebloke wrote:wasnt there usd to bea park near the old bus garage i used to go to little sweet shop round the corner too

Which old bus garage is that ?
Antie Em

Postby cakemorebloke » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:57 pm

it was just off the roundabout next to junc 2 of the m5 where the hotel place is now an ibus i think
i think it was the midland red garage
the park was behind it justa little down the wolvehampton rd toward dudley
cakemorebloke

Postby Antie Em » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:30 pm

cakemorebloke wrote:it was just off the roundabout next to junc 2 of the m5 where the hotel place is now an ibus i think
i think it was the midland red garage
the park was behind it justa little down the wolvehampton rd toward dudley

Oh yes - I remember - used to play there too - Birchley Park - right by Birchley Island. The Pint and Two Halves and a couple of offices are there now
Antie Em

Postby cakemorebloke » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:51 pm

yes auntie you stillhave my football
cakemorebloke

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 pm

There was big house just down from the park before you got to the junction of Newbury Lane and Portway Road.
We used to walk up the side of it to get to the Blue Rock when we were kids.What's there now?
There was a story on that house somewhere.Was it in The Bugle or was it on here? The name of the house began with an E.
It's doing me nut in trying to remember!!! :roll:
Anyway talking of Birchley Park well i went to Good Shepherd and lived down Churchbridge and we played our football and cricket matches up there.
In fact i still remember the PAT number of one the roundabouts up there. PAT number 2240-24 coming!!
It was game we played on there where one of us would be blindfolded!!
What days did you play down there Antie? Maybe i can recall your visits?
Rob

Postby Antie Em » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:29 am

Rob wrote:There was big house just down from the park before you got to the junction of Newbury Lane and Portway Road.
We used to walk up the side of it to get to the Blue Rock when we were kids.What's there now?
There was a story on that house somewhere.Was it in The Bugle or was it on here? The name of the house began with an E.
It's doing me nut in trying to remember!!! :roll:
Anyway talking of Birchley Park well i went to Good Shepherd and lived down Churchbridge and we played our football and cricket matches up there.
In fact i still remember the PAT number of one the roundabouts up there. PAT number 2240-24 coming!!
It was game we played on there where one of us would be blindfolded!!
What days did you play down there Antie? Maybe i can recall your visits?

Was that the witches hat roundabout, my little sister fell off it one day and I had to walk her home covered in blood. Didn't have any special days playing there - mostly in the school holidays, it was a heck of a walk from the top of Oakham. Those were the days when your mom could turf you out of the house in the morning with a sandwich and an apple and you didn't come home until tea time. I remember that house, I think it's where the KFC and hotel are now. I also remember the vicarage, where the vicar of St James lived, that was demolished and there's a nursing home there now. There were plans afoot a few years ago to build a snow dome on Blue Rock, now that would have been nice. That house name did begin with an E - it'll drive me nuts as well now. Should have taken pictures of all these places.
Antie Em

Postby cakemorebloke » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:54 am

i remember the witches hat you could stand up on it no namby pamby tree bark or plastic matting good old concrete for us
i remember that old house too even thirty odd years ago it was empty and tumbledown
cakemorebloke

Postby Antie Em » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:04 am

Got it - it was Edale
Antie Em

Postby Antie Em » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:06 am

Found the topic - Dennis put it on : viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5381&start=0

Well worth reading - lovely Dennis
Antie Em

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:07 pm

:clap: Well done Antie!! Edale !! I read Dennis's topic again and it still makes me nostalgic for childhood sunny summer days in Oldbury!! :lol:
I can still see the house in my minds eye!! It's a sunny day of course! :-)
Rob

Postby Antie Em » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Rob wrote::clap: Well done Antie!! Edale !! I read Dennis's topic again and it still makes me nostalgic for childhood sunny summer days in Oldbury!! :lol:
I can still see the house in my minds eye!! It's a sunny day of course! :-)

I asked my daughter, to ask around her office and actually she remembered it herself - she would have been about 16 when it was pulled down - so well done her. All the days were sunny then :-)
Antie Em

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History