Down our Street- tell us or ask about a St in the BC

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Owen Street- TIPTON

Postby mallosa » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:04 pm

Have you seen the photo's of Owen Street in the Gallery, Neville?

NB: I've had a bit of a move around, please see link in post further down :wink:
Last edited by mallosa on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Owen Street- TIPTON

Postby Neville Bastable » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:13 pm

No Mallosa I hadn't seen it. Many thanks, I have now. Before my time of course. My memories are of the early 1960's. I had a girlfriend in the area at that time.
Thanks again,
Neville
Neville Bastable

Owen Street- TIPTON

Postby Carol » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi Neville, I think from memory my 3xgtgrandafther Abraham Bate came from there in 1841 census-or possibly 1851- I forget . I wonder if he would have known the Tipton Slasher. I think he was from the smae street around the same sort of time
Carol

http://www.southernlurcherrescue.org.uk/

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSSkhCu/]
[/url]
Carol

Re: Down our Street- tell us or ask about a St in the BC

Postby Carol » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:01 am

Sorry -have been checking records for something else and find that Abraham was in Lower Green in 1841 census. Sure I came across Owen street somewhere but cant think who for now
Carol

[/url]
Carol

Postby Neville Bastable » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:27 am

Carol. William Perry The Tipton Slasher was born about 1820 and his career in the ring lasted until the 1850’s I think so your ancestor would know of him anyway. The Fountain pub was his base. He was a boatman, the canal running right by the pub. It’s the Birmingham Canal which in fact does still run at both ends of Owen Street, on different levels. There used to be a locked canal linking the two but it’s now filled in and provides a very pleasant walk. This part of the town was called Tipton Green. A couple on miles away there was and presumably still is a shopping centre at Princes End.
Neville
Neville Bastable

Postby Carol » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks Neville. yes those dates are very close to my Abraham. I have checked and Abraham was born in 1820 and died in 1849 from the Cholera so perhaps he grew up with the Tipton Slasher and no doubt witnessed a few bare knuckle fights or bear baits/cock fights.

If you know the area well maybe you could confirm if Lower Green and Watery Lane could be the same place, as something I was looking at earlier today gives 2 addresses on the 1841 census as Lower Green but on a marriage in the same year the 2 people are said to come from Watery Lane. Could this have been 2 names for the same area/address or is it likely they moved in the short timespan between dates?

If they are different places is it more likely that one of the addresses would have used Tipton St Martin as a parish church and the other Dudely St Thomas?
Carol

[/url]
Carol

Postby Carol » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:10 pm

I have been looking at old maps and think I have answered my own question now. Watery Lane seems a long straggly road but at one end , it bends at nearly 90 degrees into a short road called Lower Green. Perhaps my ancestors occupied a plot in that right angle bend!
Carol

[/url]
Carol

Postby Neville Bastable » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:23 pm

Carol, Glad you have located your ancestor, Lower Green being part of Tipton Green so you weren’t far out. Although I’ve never lived in Tipton or in fact anywhere near it, as mentioned as a young man I did have a girlfriend who lived just off Alexandra Road which is a continuation of Owen Street and in addition I was always interested in local industrial particularly canal history and as you may know there’s a wealth of those in the Tipton area. Although made up of perhaps disparate settlements, Tipton Green, Princes End, Toll End, Bloomfield, Tibbington etc all brought together under the local District Council (now extinct), I have always thought of Owen Street as the town centre, hence my disappointment as it no longer appears so (shops etc) Can Tipton people tell me exactly where is your town centre now ?
Neville
Neville Bastable

Postby Neville Bastable » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:41 am

OWEN STREET, TIPTON Continued.....

Owen Street has become famous this week as a new concrete road tunnel has been slid under the level crossing to enable vehicles to pass along the street without the delay which has been a bugbear for years. It is of course the West Coast Main Line and it is said the gates were closed for 45 minutes in every hour. The whole scheme it is claimed is costing 22 million pounds.
If any members want to go and watch the work I understand there is a viewing platform.
Neville Bastable
Neville Bastable

Postby mallosa » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:20 pm

Thanks for your recent update Neville :grin:

.....and of course, if anyone does go and watch, a photo would be much appreciated :wink:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Yew Tree Lane Rowley Regis

Postby Poppygirl » Sat May 23, 2009 4:02 pm

YEW TREE LANE in Rowley Regis

Please does anyone have any knowledge of Yew Tree Lane in Rowley Regis. My WHILE family lived at number 6 during the 1891 census and were still there during the 1911 census. Prior to that they lived at Tump Road, Rowley Regis.
Thank you.
Poppygirl

Postby Neville Bastable » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:21 am

Owen Street, Tipton new underpass is due to open tomorrow Monday 18th January at lunchtime I understand. The tape is due to be cut at 11.00 am I believe if members are interested.
Neville Bastable.
Neville Bastable

Postby mallosa » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Thanks again Neville for letting us know :-)

A couple of old photos in the gallery - ...here

mallosa

Previous

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History