Down our Street- tell us or ask about a St in the BC

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Postby bgreen50 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:08 pm

EEL STREET - OLDBURY

Could anyone describe Eel St as it would have been before redevelopment? Some of my family lived there, certainly between 1853 & 1871, if not longer. In 1871 they were at no 45. It was only recently that I discovered the Oldbury connection, but I live hundreds of miles away and would love to visit in my minds eye, at least. I am aware of the modern picture of Eel St on this site.
bgreen50

Eel St Oldbury

Postby peterd » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:01 pm

bgreen50 wrote:Could anyone describe Eel St as it would have been before redevelopment? Some of my family lived there, certainly between 1853 & 1871, if not longer. In 1871 they were at no 45. It was only recently that I discovered the Oldbury connection, but I live hundreds of miles away and would love to visit in my minds eye, at least. I am aware of the modern picture of Eel St on this site.

HI BG50 cant find any to view but if you want to buy one cheap try here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-ORDNANCE-SURV ... 240%3A1318
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Eel St Oldbury

Postby Rob » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:18 am

:lol:
Well i lived there in the 50's and it's a child's view you'll get!!
Let me think.....
Alive with people a pub on both ends of the street although the top end was around the corner in what they called Little Eel Street.
Back to back houses.We lived in one up one down and the toilet down the entry in the yard.There were two toilets in the yard shared by 5 families.We had a donkey,bantams and pidgeons in ours as well.A big Brew'uss was in the corner and tuesdays was wash day.
Tommy Brain would deliver his coal on a horse drawn wagon and we would run behind collecting the 'Oss Muck for the vegetables grown in the yard.
There'd be hopscotch games drawn on the street and we'd play rounders or play amongst the cotton bales in Cuxson and Gerrards across the road in Churchbridge.
No cars except for Uncle Jack's son in law Howard who'd visit maybe once or twice a week and park it outside our house.
Winter nights were dark!The street lighting wasn't too bright.We'd play hide and seek and November would always bring pea-soupers so thick you couldn't see one foot in front of you.
At the top of the street was a big Marlhole but we never climbed obver the fence to play there.Our playground was The Blue Billy a man-made mound of chemical waste and thats were we had our dens.
Rob

Eel St Oldbury

Postby mumbles » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:50 am

PeterD,
Eel Street is not on the Oldbury & Spon Lane Map but on the next one over Brades Village 68.13 as it is on border of two maps .
You would probably need both maps to see what area was like and rear of maps has register of residents and commercial premises and short history.
By strange co-incidence I am researching area as I have managed with help of a New Zealand relative to surmount a Brick Wall on my Hinds family who lived in Oldbury in 19th Century. They are connected to Nash ,Sadler & Wood families who owned Brick Making works which are shown on maps( George Wood & Wood & Ivery) . Hinds family were butchers or Ironmongers and some of children married Doctors & Dentists and moved to Coventry. All four families had connections to Chance family and thus some also became managers in the Lighthouse & Glass factory.
One of Hinds Ancestors had Stained Glass Windows placed in Halesowen Parish Church and Old
What is interesting is that families also married into French & Belgian & Scots families who were recruited to work in Glassworks using expertise in Sheet Glass Making and it is obvious from my research that there were a lot of these immigrant workers in Oldbury in 19th Century.
My Hinds relative was not as well to do as those above and was a Rivetter and thus I could not believe he came from such a well connected family , Perhaps he was the black sheep of family.
I have not been on Forum lately because it has taken so long to collate info now I have got over Brickwall but now I have finished I should be able to insert about 400 names from Oldbury .
mumbles

Eel Street Oldbury

Postby mumbles » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:20 pm

From 1902 Map Eel Street appears to run West to East and at West end their are 5 Houses on North and South sides and then a gap through which a cross road runs another length of Eel Street with 23 houses on both North and South sides.
Their is a P.H. at last house on North Side on corner with Church Bridge Street.
At West end of Street is a Marl Hole and Brick Works and just South of that is another Marl Hole and Radnall Brick Works with tramways connecting Brick Works to Canal Wharves & Basins on other side of Church Bridge Street.At East End but across Church Bridge Street is a Steel Works and a Glass Works which have Wharves and Canal Basins at rear
mumbles

Eel Street Oldbury

Postby bgreen50 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:57 pm

Thank you so much Northern Lass, Peterd, Rob amd Mumbles for your prompt help & insights which have generated imagery of Eel St. As I am familiar with Chris Upton's Living Back to Back, Carl Chinn's Homes for the People & am in the process of reading Katherine Dayus' Omnibus the descriptions you have given are meaningfull. I will be getting Alan Godfrey maps so naming the copies that I need enables me to target those to buy -I have been caught out before.
bgreen50

Eel Street Oldbury

Postby Rob » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:44 pm

Just thought, that avatar of mine is taken in Eel Street me and one of my sisters with The Car in the background!! :lol:
The street died in 1961.All gone,the close community spread all over Oldbury.New housing estates up Cakemore,Brandhall,Lion Farm and high rise flats. :cry:
Rob

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:41 am

We need more about the Black Country Streets You knew and roamed in your childhood.
What do you remember about them?
Are they different today?
Tell us about the houses, the shops, the factories.
Who were your neighbours?
What happened in your street? Tell us the goings on.

Give us an image of how it was, walk us down your street and share the memory.
:wink:
Northern Lass

Re: Down our Street- tell us or ask about a St in the BC

Postby bgreen50 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:37 pm

I have just made a very very brief comparison of the ocupations of the Eel St workers in 1851 & 1861. It is not complete as some words were illegible & I was not able to research the entire street in the time available, but it seems that in 1851 most paid workers were coal miners, labourers or worked in the brick industry.
In 1861 occupations were more diverse. There were still brickmakers but fewer miners. There was a carter, carpenter and servants. Both census years included shoe makers (or menders), blacksmiths, engineers & labourers.
It would be interesting to know what a full analysis of the street & the census years would tell us about the developing economic landscape, but my Ancestry sub expires this evening.
It is strange that the word cordwainer was not used by shoe makers in Eel St.
bgreen50

Postby Carol » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:34 pm

Rob, What was your donkey called and did he earn his keep? Saw some sad pictures of overworked donkeys on the news today in Africa pulling impossible loads that would be challenging for Shire horses let alone donkeys.

I'm sure I ought to know this but remind me what bantams are.
Carol

http://www.southernlurcherrescue.org.uk/

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSSkhCu/]
[/url]
Carol

Postby Rob » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:39 pm

Francis!!
And don't you know what Bantams are!! :roll:
They're Indonesian Chickens!! Everyone knows that!! :shock:
Rob

Postby mallosa » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:42 pm

...not EVERYONE Rob :roll:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:15 am

Sorry about that bgreen.
Silly questions about names of donkeys!! :roll:
Eel Street was surrounded by brickmakers firms.We had marl'oles all over the place.
As a boy visiting my grandmothers in Throne Road and Windsor Road would entail crossing the "New Road" and walking up and past Pratts Brickyard over a ricketey bridge where the little trucks would go hurtling to the bottom of the marlhole to fetch the clay to make the brick.
Rob

Postby Carol » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:41 am

Thank you for enlightening me Rob- it was lurking somewhere in the dark recessess of my mind but I don't need to know about Bantams on a daily basis so it had been archived-what were your chickens called? :lol:
Carol

http://www.southernlurcherrescue.org.uk/

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSSkhCu/]
[/url]
Carol

Owen Street- TIPTON

Postby Neville Bastable » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:52 pm

OWEN STREET -TIPTON

I want to talk about Owen Street, Tipton.

I had occasion to visit the Building Society there today.
Years ago it was a busy bustling place lined with shops.
Where have they all gone?
It's now all offices and the like.
The Fountain pub is still there I'm glad to say with it's Tipton Slasher associations although I didn't pop in.

Tiptonians, comments please !
Neville Bastable

Next

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History