Rowley Village Green

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Rowley Village Green

Postby littlejohn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Ive been trying to study the history of Rowley Regis and hope someone can help with the followng; Rowley Village was for centuries the focal point of Rowley Regis, medieval rural villages of which Rowley was one were based on the "three field system" which were farmed in strips by the peasant population and which surrounded the village, the village was clustered in most cases around the village green, which was used for community activities, with the manor house and the church in close proximity, Rowley had St Giles which stood since the 12th century on the top of Rowley Hill, Rowley Hall was a short disance away at the top of what is now Newhall Rd, Church Rd leads from the church to the hall, the manor mill was behind the church between the graveyard and tipperty green and the village pond could have been at Perrys lake or even in what is now Brittania Park, my query is where was the village green, there was the village pound just in front of the church on the junction of church rd and hawes lane and all tracks or lanes led to this area and you would imagine the green to be here but the incline is steep and looking at maps etc there doesent seem room for a green, but im not really sure how big a green should be and the passing of time would alter the village itself, anyway would anyone have any theorys on this?
littlejohn

Re: Rowley Village Green

Postby gardener » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi. My knowledge of medieval villages is still at the same level it was when I was about 12 I think :shock:
Still, there is an article here http://www.bahs.org.uk/29n1a3.pdf which might interest you if you have not already seen it. It says that West Brom had two common fields, Sedgley had six, and Rowley Regis "lacked open arable completely". So perhaps it did not have a green either?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History