Paradise and other Dudley Streets

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Paradise and other Dudley Streets

Postby peterd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:04 pm

WSPenwell wrote:Hi,

I read a bit about these area of Dudley. My great grandmother was born at Gospel End, not too far away from Paradise Street according to Google Maps. Seems like she was the only child out of 6 that survived infancy. As far as my research I have found there was a Cholera epidemic in around the 1840's - 1850's in that part of England. My question or inquiry was Cholera a killer to newly born children or could there be another reason why they didn't survive infancy? I was going to start a new post about this subject. If anyone can help me out it would be much appricated.

WSPenwell

cholera could have been brought over by the irish as the potato blight struck in the 1840 - 50 in ireland and there was mass immergration
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby peterd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:07 pm

A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

peterd

Postby WSPenwell » Sat May 01, 2010 12:17 am

Cholera is cause by poor sanitary conditions. The article you posted refers to the Irish coming to North America but nothing referring to a migration to the south western counties of England. Was there a migration from Ireland to that part of England?
WSPenwell

Postby linell » Sat May 01, 2010 5:48 am

There was a massive Cholera epedimic in the Dudley area circa 1831, and another one in the 1870's. But it was always lurking in the shadows. I have ancestors who died from Cholera in various different years throughout the 19th Century. Infant mortality was very high, they died from a whole spectrum of different causes, you could always send for your family death certificates, for the children who died after Sep 1837. As my Nan used to say, it was the survival of the fittest, only the strongest children managed to survive the challenging enviroment in which they lived. Linell.
linell

Postby peterd » Sat May 01, 2010 9:16 am

WSPenwell wrote:Cholera is cause by poor sanitary conditions. The article you posted refers to the Irish coming to North America but nothing referring to a migration to the south western counties of England. Was there a migration from Ireland to that part of England?

there was a strong irish community in and around lye

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1456

peterd

Postby AsMadasanHatter » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi all how very interesting! I have ancestors born in Paradise - I think its where the Minories was. I also have addresses such as Pleasant Place and Darkhouse, which I have no idea where they were originally. Also, The Dudley Hutments and the munitions huts which Im told there was once a large fire and nothing could be done so people (and I think this may have included my ancesters) were left homeless

Mad x :cry:
AsMadasanHatter

Postby linell » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:30 am

Darkhouse is Darkhouse Lane and Pleasant is Mount Pleasant, both streets in Coseley Dudley. Darkhouse was so called because of the amount of trees obscuring any natural light. HTH LInell.
linell

Postby BC Wench » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:15 am

The Minories is now encompassed within Flood Street car park with Paradise to the south, just over the Dudley bypassm by Buffery Park.

Try Dudley Archives web site at www.dudley.gov.uk/archives on the right hand side click on Historic Mapping and just follow the instructions. You can look at up-to-date maps and OS maps, zoom in or pan over the maps by clicking on the various hand tools.

Have fun.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Previous

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History