Earl of Dudley Farm

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Earl of Dudley Farm

Postby AsMadasanHatter » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:41 am

Hi the link is good and may well be it as the farm itself was on top of the nature reserve which is along Wrens Nest Hill the last tennants in it were the Martins. Thank you both a visit to Kew seems a very good idea :grin:

Mad x
AsMadasanHatter

Postby linell » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Glad to be of help Mad!

Linell.
linell

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:53 pm

Mad got some info for you!

It is indeed Wrens nest farm!
it did exist
it aint the Priory farm one

So I am in possesion of an ordanace survey copy from the archives for 1919
it clearly names and shows the farm and the Priory one to the left

on the later ord map in 1938 it is still there .

Now Dudley Archives have some Dudley Estate archived recoreds
the info in there could well house your Wrens nest info ...then again might not....
the info covers leases, Wills, surveys and bks refs- this gives info on who owned the land, who rented, what land was used for etc.

You would have to either pay someone to go thru it, or get Dudley to go thru it using their research service.

If you give me your email I will send you a scan of this ord map section
if anyone else wishes a copy pm me

:wink:
Northern Lass

Postby BC Wench » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Hello Mad,

Just picked up this thread. As already mentioned, there were 2 Farms - one was Wrens Nest Farm and the other Priory Farm. I believe, Priory Farm was situated where the Priory School is now on the other side of Wrens Nest Nature Reserve. The Wrens Nest Farm was situated on the other side of the Nature Reserve, next to the limestone kilns, by the football pitch. Some of the houses on Hillside Road backed onto the Nature Reserve and there is a walkway from Wrens Hill Road to Summer Road. On the Summer Road side there is/was a cottage. I have a photo of the cottage with my brother standing in front of it taken in 2001 when he made a visit back home from the USA. If you would like a copy of the photo please send me a pm.

Regards
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby AsMadasanHatter » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Sorry it has taken me two years to reply . I am still no nearer to finding information though my Dad continues to press me on this, Thank you all for your comments

Mad x
AsMadasanHatter

Postby weetybix » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:38 pm

HI I AM also looking for a picture of the old farm on wrens nest , i am bill martins granddaughter, my mom lived on the farm and she has been wanting a photo of it for years after losing the ones she had. if anyone could help i would be very grateful, i have tried black country bugle, dudley news but no-one has anything. the farm belonged to the earl of dudley but then bill martin purchased it from him
weetybix

Postby BC Wench » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:35 pm

Hello Mad & Weetybix,

As suggested previously, if you go to the Black Country History web site at www.blackcountryhistory.org, click on Advanced Search, under Partners click on Dudley Archives then under Title, Description type in wrens nest farm, there are lots of photos. As Weetybix's mom lived there you can correspond with each other to find out which farm it is. I think it may be the Roberts Farm one. The Roberts family have a car repair shop in Parkes Hall Road and I understand their family used to own the farm in the 1960s.

Hope this helps.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Previous

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History