Malt Mill Lane, Blackheath

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Malt Mill Lane, Blackheath

Postby mallosa » Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 pm

This photo is courtesy of Frodo who says...
"Nathan Taylor built numerous properties and I have realised that a photo I have on the back of which my father wrote Malt Mill Lane? is actually of a row of houses built by Nathan which included a chapel - I have the mortgage documents which state that this happened.
If you focus in on the photo you can see a stone which says 'Refuge Chapel' on it and a notice board and the mortgage documents do suggest it was just a couple of rooms. According to his son Albert, the chapel thrived and eventually became Malt Mill Lane Methodist Chapel (presumaby in a different building?)

see here on BCC - https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... ver=460566

Malt Mill Lane.jpg
Malt Mill Lane.jpg (173.79 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Re: Malt Mill Lane, Blackheath

Postby Rob » Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 pm

That's a wonderful photo. Malt Mill Lane? That was near the top of Gorsty Hill. There was a football team called Malt Mill United which was founded by residents of this street.
Rob

Re: Malt Mill Lane, Blackheath

Postby Frodo » Thu May 23, 2019 9:16 pm

My great grandfather Nathan Taylor as well as building the houses in the photo also lived on Malt Mill Lane at number 40. His widow Martha Manger Taylor moved from Malt Mill Lane to Beaumont Road (see gallery photos) in 1919. I am really curious about the chapel that is part of the row of houses in the photo - the plaque says Refuge Chapel - I have mortgage papers for it and a cousin in America has family history suggesting it was well used.
Frodo

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History