Cradley Heath and Cradley

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Cradley Heath and Cradley

Postby Maths girl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:03 pm

I will be interested to see what you find out about Powke LAne Linnell as I know some of my GGrandparents are buried there.
Maths girl

Postby linell » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Will ring them tomorrow Maths Girl and get back to you and Sharon. Best Wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby linell » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:35 am

Hi Sharon and Maths Girl, well great news West Bromwich Crematorium have Registers for Powke Lane, the nice lady I spoke to said if we visit West Brom Crem we can search the list of names for Powke Lane. See you there then :!: Linell.
linell

Postby Maths girl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks for this Linell

Can you give me any idea -other than West Bromwich- where the Crematorium is and when it is open to view?
Maths girl

Postby linell » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi Maths Girl, will post a link on here. The Crem should be open Monday - Friday 9.00 - 5.00 I would presume, not sure on weekends, the phone number is on the link if you want to ring and find out more. Your not far from me, or Sharon and NL, we will have to get a Coach Trip organised and we can all go and visit :grin: Best Wishes from Linell.

http://www.laws.sandwell.gov.uk/ccm/nav ... cemetries/
linell

Postby Maths girl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:52 pm

Thank you for this Linell.

While the trip sounds like a good idea I'm not convinced about your Geography :? - Stafford and Leicestershire are North and East of West Bromwich if I have my map the right way round!
Maths girl

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:47 am

Maths girl wrote:Thank you for this Linell.

While the trip sounds like a good idea I'm not convinced about your Geography :? - Stafford and Leicestershire are North and East of West Bromwich if I have my map the right way round!

Hi Mg think Linell meant that if you went to West Brom to see the cemetery records we are all not a million miles away
and would let you buy us all a coffee and a big wedge of cake!
:grin:

actually we must all organise somat next year few of us have been talking bout that
will keep that for another thread not on here.... :oops:

I am very interested in actually where in Powke lane cemetary my ancestors are buried
the family were buried in St Lukes but with the state of that they must have changed their minds and family placed in Powke lane

so thanks for that info Linell
:grin: :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby Silver surfer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:26 pm

When I wanted to know which plot my gran was buried in I just phoned Powke Lane cemetery and gave name and year of death and they told me. Think it was immediately, if not it wasn't very long. As a bonus they said my grandad was buried in the same grave so I got a precise date of death for him which I hadn't previously had. (John Smith). Don't know if they offer the service now. They even took me to the plot when I visited the cemetery.
Researching Foley, Burley, Dean, Danks, Smith, Pugh, Hughes, Shakespeare.
Silver surfer

Postby linell » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:40 pm

How marvellous Trisha, I suppose if you have the actual date it is all so much easier. I just want to browse the records see if I can find any of my family there. We will all get you to go next time :wink: Best Wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby Sharon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:41 pm

what did I start!
thanks all! I've a schoolfriend buried at Powke Lane, and have always found staff there helpful. Didnt realise the date was as early as 1921, thanks again Linnell. I have an old photo somewhere taken fromabove the cemetery looking out across the factories of netherton, and only the war memorial marks the site...
so, where were all the locals prior to the 20's buried?! you wont convince me that theyre all at St LUke's!

(I'm def. up for the coach, coffee and cake trip-if plan B is a local hostelry, that's o.k. too!)
Sharon

Postby linell » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Sharon wrote:what did I start!
thanks all! I've a schoolfriend buried at Powke Lane, and have always found staff there helpful. Didnt realise the date was as early as 1921, thanks again Linnell. I have an old photo somewhere taken fromabove the cemetery looking out across the factories of netherton, and only the war memorial marks the site...
so, where were all the locals prior to the 20's buried?! you wont convince me that theyre all at St LUke's!

I'm def. up for the coach, coffee and cake trip-if plan B is a local hostelry, that's o.k. too!)
Hi Sharon we are definitely up for a meet next year, will keep you posted. As for the burials, I suppose a lot of them were buried at Rowley or Halesowen, but they must have been full too. Did Holy Trinity have a Churchyard, I can't remember, think it has all be landscaped now, ' never mind the history, just clear away the tomb stones' is the Council's policy. It's the same here at Stafford, we have a lovely Church in the centre of town, some of the Grave Stones are propped up around the perimeter wall, the rest have been cleared away, never know if the bodies are still there under the ground or not :?: :?: Best Wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby Sharon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi Linnell-couldnt agree more about the council policy of "cover up instead of maintain". I believe people are supposed to be notified in advance if a burial site is going to be "landscaped", but I know dad went to his parents & sister grave at St Luke's one day and had quite a shock...we never found the gravestone..
I dont believe there were burials at Holy Trinity...there was another burial place on the Saltwells route to Merry Hill and that received the same fate. Makes you wonder how many more we've lost trace of..
Sharon

Postby julien1964 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Hello everyone,
What a great insight into Cradley Heath. I didn't grow up in Cradley Heath but remember visits to my nans down Silverthorne Lane and playing on the pipes in the late 60s. I remember the Midland Red Bus Station - now Hawk Cycles and the model shop oposite Silverthorne Lane. Also the fish and chip shop in Lower High Street which was demolished when they built Cradley Print and is now a car par for the new Lidl store.
Sharon - my grandad (Frank Evans) was burried in Powke Lane Cemetery - its been a long time since i've been there but i reckon i could still locate his grave.
Not sure if Hannah Evans/Harbach was burried there. According to the 1911 census she was running a fried fish business in graingers lane - this must have then changed to a shop later on.
I drive down Graingers Lane and Corngreaves Road every day on the way to work and find it hard to imagine what the area was like back then.
Julien
julien1964

Postby linell » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:43 am

Hi Julian, yes I am very interested in the geography and history of that area too, but way back in the 17/1800's when people started to settle on the Cradley Heath land. My Westwood family was in the Lomey Town area from the 1700's at least, my Stringer family; I have William Stringer born about 1700 The Hill Halesowen, he Married a Hannah Windmill from RR. Wm and Hannah settled in Cradley Heath, Lomey Town I believe, their descandants are there in 1841. Another address I have is Old Fields, somewhere near Surfeit Hill, would love to go back and see how these places used to be, very rural, but with loads of Iron Works, such as Corngreaves and the Pit Mounds which must have been in abundance in that area. I have traced the Hingley and Sidaway families back to Furnace Lane in the 1700's that was somewhere near Lodge Forge and Corngreaves, long gone now I'm afraid. Thanks for you post, that is most interesting, I too have the Harbach's from Graingers Lane in my tree. Linell.
linell

Postby Sharon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi Linnell and Julien-hope you've had a good Christmas...
thanks for the memories Julien..do you recall Beaumonts sweet shop opposite the park? Real glass jars and brown paper bags...to think I may have been visiting my nan in Greenfield Avenue (where i was born) whilst you were just around the corner at your nan's!
I had no idea that Cissie's brother was buried at Powke Lane. She was buried with her husband and daughter at St Luke's. I remember visiting the grave. If you went in the entrance by the baptist church and walked straight ahead it was against the boundary. its a grassy field now, and the headstone is missing. Hannah was buried at St Luke's, nearer the church, but the grave was unmarked. There is a map of the churchyard at Sandwell archives, but none of these are recorded...
Hannah moved on to run a "general store" apparently..
Linnell, Oldfields still exists, and for many years was an unsurfaced, unadopted road that linked Corngreaves road and Sutherland road which is part of the Codsall estate. Oldfields exits onto Corngreaves between a factory and the old telephone exchange.
Furnace Lane too, still exists.It runs from the Earls High school up to Halesowen college. Coming down the other side is Furnace hill, passing the old Loyal Lodge pub on the right. Straight over at the lights, and you're on Gorsty Hill...
So the three of us share Harbach's..Julien's grandfather Frank, and my grandmother Cissie, were brother and sister, Linnell.
Sharon

PreviousNext

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History