Cradley Heath and Cradley

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Cradley Heath and Cradley

Postby Sharon » Wed May 20, 2009 8:00 pm

I'm another member of your fan club Neville-keep going!
The two markets are still running, but much depleted now.my mum had part time jobs in both during my teenage years. i remember Roy Adams.I think dad and he may have been school mates. Bonser's continues in the corner of the big market. A hot pork sandwich shop continued in cradley heath, at one point run by a man named Stefan. & I believe one continues still. I remember the old market as a little girl, the big gates and the open space, before the covered market stalls. In the space used to be an auction -style stall, run by the "half a crown man". Guess how much most items were finally sold for! Dad had to fetch cakes and other items from the High Street to be sold in his granny's shop in Graingers Lane. he tells me that cattle often escaped from the rear of butchers shopsand caused mayhem in the high street!I recall getting a mention in the County Express as a schoolgirl, as I identified a mystery photo of a sign that said "The Louvre". It's on the wall still, above the building society that replaced Holden's shoe shop.I loved the creaky wooden floor, and what seemed like thousands of shoe boxes............Woolworths wooden floor was much admired too....
Do you remember Beaumonts sweet shop? Glass jars and paper bags..A speedway rider I believe...and Deeleys record shop in Lomey town..
Sharon

Postby Neville Bastable » Fri May 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Sharon, Les Beaumont was the first captain of the Cradley Heath Speedway Team. He and his brother Ray came from Hereford way I think. He married a local girl and went into business. I was at the very first speedway meeting and subsequently rarely missed a home meeting up until the time I went into the R.A.F. Incidentally we have a sweet shop like that now in Kidderminster. I left Cradley Heath for Kidderminster nearly forty years ago and I haven’t been back for some years. I suspect that the place today bears little resemblance to the town I knew. I remember the Dudley Wood stadium before speedway came when it was the home of Cradley Heath Football Club, called locally “The Lukes” after the church. They were a very successful non football league club. George Bridgwater who kept the Victoria pub next door and was heavily involved was another Cradley Heath character not always popular but that’s another story.
A couple of other people I might mention. There was Doctor Tibbetts my father’s doctor, the first person in Cradley Heath to own a car it was said but he employed a chauffeur to drive it.
Then there was Mr Dunn( can’t remember his first name) who was the commissionaire at the Majestic Cinema who kept all of us in order waiting in the queue outside for the second house on a Saturday night. At the “Maj” there were separate sittings. After the programme was completed everyone had to leave and a new lot (the second house) went in. At the Royal Cinema as I recall it was a rolling programme so you arrive and left as you pleased. There could still be a queue there of course, only to be allowed in as people left in dribs and drabs. There was a big inside waiting area there though, where there had been shops demolished to provide an entrance from the High Street. Originally it was a theatre entered from Bank Street.
Neville
Neville Bastable

Postby linell » Fri May 22, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi all, here are the memories of Herbert Cope who grew up in Cradley Heath.

Written for the Reddall Hill Mutual Improvement Society, Saturday, October 1st 1904·

Well, my dear friends, I am expected tonight to present to you a short sketch of my past life. I should like to be able to present a history that had been spent more in the service of God. I have often wondered if my experience is the same as that of other people. In this respect, I look back on the 45 years of my life and can see things that I have done which would have been better left undone, and on the other hand there are things I might have done which would have made my history more enjoyable to look back upon, more profitable, and I am almost tempted to give expression to the wish that I could spend my past life over again, so that I may live an unblemished life, a life pure in every respect, a life spent in doing everything as Jesus would have me do. But this wish would be useless as such a privilege has never been granted to any that have gone before.

The 16th day of January 1859 was a day I have often thought would have been better left out of history, for that was the day on which I first breathed the breath of life. I have often thought that the most unfortunate thing that ever happened to
me was that I was present on that occasion.

I remember same of my relatives telling me what a beautiful child I was, very small, in fact I could have been put into a quart jug, but I have grown since then. They also told me that my skin was like alabaster and that it was impossible to find a blemish. Oh that my conscience could have retained a similar surface.

The first thing I can remember was that on a particular occasion everybody round about where I was living had their blinds down to their windows, and all the church bells tolled, and I remember hearing my friends say that some member of the royal family had died and that all the people had darkened their windows, showing their loyalty to their Queen and country. In looking through the history of our land I find this would be Prince Consort, and that I should be 2 years and 11 months old.

I can very vividly call to mind the first school I went to. It was a dance school. An old woman kept it whose name was Barnsley. There was a pump in the yard, I can see it now. One little incident which happened whilst I attended this school stands clear and above the incidents which usually happened at schools of this type, such as being stood upon a form, or stood in a corner with ones face to the wall, or shut in the cellar which was full of hobgoblins and other frightful and detestable creatures.

I remember one afternoon there was to my infant mind a terrific storm raging and I imagined my Mother was out in it and I pictured her being blown hither and thither in the storm. I held myself as long as I could, then I blurted out at the top of my voice, "Oh my poor Mother, my poor Mother" and finding it impossible to pacify me, when the storm abated a little they took me home, and actually told my Mother what had happened.

After leaving the dance school I went to a ladies' school, I suppose I must have been something extra to have been sent to a ladies' school. If that was so I cannot call to mind any extra special qualities I possessed to warrant my parents sending
me to such a school, but one thing I know it was very near being the end of my career, and it happened in this way.

The school was very near to a large pool, in fact there was only a field separating the school from this pool. The young ladies often went into this field for a romp, and on this particular occasion they took me in with them and commenced rolling me down towards the waters edge, and once they sent me at such a speed that before they could stop me I had touched the water, and from the fuss they made of me I concluded that they had expected every minute to be the next.

I soon got too big or to rough to be sent to a ladies' school so I was sent to an ordinary boys' school and had rather a hard time of it for I was naturally a dull scholar and was in constant dread of the cane. There are two items I should like to relate of my experiences in this school.

We were having Scripture lessons and were studying the account of Jonah's imprisonment in the whale's belly. The Master asked what Jonah did when he was in the belly of the whale, when one volunteered the answer "Finden his pipe Sir." Of course he came in for what most lads dislike and which he certainly deserved, a sound thrashing.

The other item occurred as we were about to leave school one afternoon. The School Master had just offered up the closing prayer and had noticed some of the lads with their eyes open, and I suppose he thought he would make an example of them, but he adopted a very novel way of finding out how many of us had omitted to close our eyes. He asked if any of the lads had seen any of their classmates with their eyes open during prayer, Up went several hands with lightening rapidity, mine among the rest, Then he asked us for the names of the boys we had seen. These he dotted down. When he had got to the end of the list he called out those who held up their hands, then he called out those we had seen with their eyes open, Now we guessed what was the matter, but we had to suffer it. Those who held up their hands received two cuts
with the cane and the ones we saw received one cut, I determined never to become an informer again.
Before I leave the description of some of my useful youthful days I should like to say a few words about two of my grandfathers. I feel it would be a sin to slight them by not saying a few words about them.

They were both men in the strictest sense of the term. Drunken men I mean. The one from whom I inherit my name would be drunk for weeks together and then he would have a spell of temperance and sobriety. What he was like when in his drunken moments I could not say as I very rarely saw him, but when sober I remember his diet for the body was fish, whilst for the spiritual part of his existence it was the bible, One instance I call to mind whenever I think of him. The public house he used must have been kept by a vicious man, for just as my esteemed grandpapa had left the house at turning out time one night he heard screaming and shouting and hastening back he saw the beer house keeper's wife lying at the foot of the stair .. dead. She had had a few not very loving words with her husband and he had knocked her head long downstairs and killed her. He was tried and my grandfather was the principal witness, I think he must have been a false witness for the man got off scot free.

The other grandfather of mine I wish to speak about was a little more steady in his ways in as much as his drunken habits were continuous. He was drunk every day and as is usual in the case of habitual drunkards he took no pride at all in his personal appearance. In the last days of his life he made chain and always wore a top hat or shiner as he called it, even to work in. One thing I particularly remember about him was that he always combed his hair once every year if it wanted or not. On Christmas morning if we went anywhere near his shop and saw the door and all the shutters closed, we could pretty well guess what he was doing. He would be performing his twilight and must not be disturbed.

One more item and then I have done with grandfathers forever. Many times when he has come home drunk I have been waked up in the night by this particular grandpapa with a request that I would come and find the bed for him. This has been after he has had his first sleep. I have got out of my bed and smiling at the ludicrous situation I have assisted him to find the lost article. When by my help he has succeeded in locating the bed posts and the side of the bed in he would turn, but invariably he would put his feet where his head should be and as he could not find a pillow for his head, I have had to whizz him round until he could get into a suitable position in which to rest himself. Some folk would have us believe that drink makes a man strong but I cannot help thinking if these men could see themselves acting in such simple foolish ways they would have done with drink for evermore.

My time came at last to leave school when a little over 12 years old, and I commenced to work at home, my parents intending I should learn the humble trade of a carpenter. My life for the next five years, as indeed it had been from the time I was four years old, was made terribly hard through the harsh treatment of a very severe father. Why parents should try to create in the minds of their children feelings of dread towards them I could never understand. If I was ever afraid of any individual I was afraid of my father. I will just cite one case in which I received punishment for what I had not done.

It was Wednesday, washing day, my mother on such days usually prepared ash (hash?) or stew for dinner. I suppose there was least attention required in the preparation of such a meal, as she had only to put it near the fire and keep it boiling and it went on preparing itself, leaving her at liberty to attend to her washing.

On this never to be forgotten day dinner time came round. We were all seated round the table enjoying what had been provided, when my mother commenced telling father of something one of my brothers had done. I cannot say if my father thought I was my brother or not, but with the table spoon he was using for his stew he struck me a terrific blow (He was a strong man my father was) and raised a plum on the top of my head. My mother jumped up and shouted "What are you doing. It was not him," Then he let drop the soothing words "Never mind it might have bin." This circumstance is the more firmly fixed on my memory from the fact that a few minutes after this happened I heard a hurdy-gurdy playing in the street and what do you think it was playing .. Home Sweet Home. My feelings revolted against such a sentiment.

I could cite scores of instances in which I received punishment for the most trivial thing. One thing I wish I had noticed, that is, if these excitable moments of my parents had anything to do with the change of the moon. Somehow I can scarcely think they had for it seemed to have been with him one continual round of excitement when I was anywhere near.

If I am treating this matter more sarcastically than you think it deserves, I do hope you will forgive me, for after what I have suffered I feel I could go on all night piling it on thick for I am disgusted with parents who will treat their own flesh and blood with more harsh treatment than they would a dog.

In my boyish days, I could scarcely help thinking religion was anything but a fraud. I have heard my father pray in the prayer meeting at night, next morning he has lost his temper over the least trifling matter and then down came the storm on poor Herbert's puny carcass, made puny through the constant dread of such outbursts. It is not at all surprising that some extremely religious fathers should have disreputable sons if the father is not able to show a true Christian spirit in his home life as well as at church.

Of course you are aware that a carpenter would scarcely be thought a carpenter unless he made coffins, and in connection with that part of our business I have had some peculiar experiences. I will try and describe a few. The first I call to mind was when I was about 13 years old. At this time there was raging in The Midlands a terrible epidemic, I expect some of you will remember it. People were dying by hundreds of small pox. We used, at that time, to make the coffins at night and attend the funerals and take measurements of other bodies during the day. As the orders were so numerous my father was unable to attend all the funerals and although I was only 13 years old and a very little fellow into the bargain I had to take my share in the performance of that duty. I think I can safely say I was the youngest and smallest acting undertaker for miles round. I’ll leave you to picture for yourselves a little fellow not more than 5 feet high with a top hat on, strutting in front of a funeral procession Occasionally having to pass down the ranks to adjust some straggler who I very often thought at that time took advantage of their youthful guide.

I remember going to a funeral at one house one Sunday and in a fortnight after I was sent, through special request to the same house again. We often took two bodies out of one house at the same time and on one or two occasions 3 out of the same house, the same day. We made 48 coffins in one month. I can tell you it was a sad and sorry time.

Another experience of mine, a rather weird one too, happened when I was 14 years old. A woman had died in Liverpool and she was brought to Cradley Heath for interment. When she arrived in her coffin late in the afternoon, previous to the day of her burial, the relatives were disgusted with the appearance of her coffin, and as we had made several coffins for the family, they asked us to renovate it, to polish it up and put better fittings on and I was told to carry out the work.

I had to work all night at it, in a room by myself with this dead woman who seemed to have her eyes on me at every turn. I remember I had the coffin on a bench and that it was a quarry floor and during the night one of my steel tools accidently fell to the floor giving a ringing sound. My back was towards the coffin at the time and round I turned as a lightening flash almost expecting the woman to jump up and ask what the row was about. I need scarcely try to explain to you what my feelings were, but that woman and I got on very well together .. we never had a missword all night long and by the time morning dawned I had finished my gruesome task and went home to a well-earned rest.

I could go on describing similar instances but will leave this subject asking you to excuse me for forcing so much of the gruesome and hideous on to you. My plea shall be that one half of the world would never know how the other half wages unless we were informed. You would never know what an undertaker had to under go unless one were to tell you.

Now we come to the most important part of my existence (viz) music. The love of this heavenly science seems to pervade my whole nature and I really believe if my parents had been educated folk they could not have failed to notice how great my love for music was. Even from a child I have been intensely affected by its sweet strains and many times did I beg of my parents to get me a piano or organ, but not until I had passed my 17th birthday could I prevail on them to assist me in this matter.

Now commenced for me several years of enjoyment with the harmonium purchased for me by my parents. I studied very hard and in 6 months I had a pupil and was officiating occasionally on the old organ in the old New Connexion Chapel, Five Ways. But very soon I gave up practicing so much, and took up the Solfa Notation through the recommendation of a friend, I went in for study and in six weeks obtained the Elementary Cert, three months afterwards I passed for the Intermediate Certificate and nine months later I took the Members Certificate adding to each of these certificates ·· passed in staff notation also making them practically double certificates.

About that time I was asked to teach an evening class in Solfa at Darby Hand and had a fairly successful time of it, many of the pupils gaining certificates. With the money earned in this way and in teaching private pupils, among whom were several School Masters and Mistresses, I purchased a scholarship in the Tonic Solfa College in London for the six weeks summer term. This was the first time I had been away from home.

I enjoyed the time spent at College very much. The President Mr. Stu Airwan was an exceptionally kind and affectionate man and when he saw the older and more confident students put on to the younger and weaker ones, he always came to the
rescue. I could mention many instances to prove this but time will not permit in a short and unimportant history like the present one.

The last day of the term arrived and Mr. Airwan gave us an encouraging address and with a few he had private interviews. I happened to be one of that few and I can tell you whilst he was talking to me O how I wished I had a father like him. I
sometimes now in my quiet moments imagine I can feel his arm round my waist as I was leaving the room. He was asking me if I could make up my mind to stay in London. He offered to find me a situation as a teacher if I would. I told him I did not think that would be possible seeing I was only 19½ years old and my father had a claim upon me until I was 21 years. He begged of me to ask my father and let him know. He also made me promise him that if the college authorities had any free scholarships at liberty for the next term I would apply for one and he would use his influence on my behalf.

Strange to say there was only one scholarship open for the next term, but in the meantime the President had gone to heaven for he was a thorough Christian. Nevertheless I kept my promise and my application went in with 47 others making 48 applications in all. I was delighted a few mornings after to receive an intimation from the secretary stating the scholarship had been allotted to your humble servant.

I accepted the scholarship but did not feel so much at home as during the previous term. The smiling fatherly face of the grey haired president was missing. Still we worked hard and I remember the total certificates and theory honour stamps obtained up to that time numbered 26.

Just then we were passing through a very bad time of trade. Pupils were scarce both at classes and for private teaching. I had to go away from home to work. In consequence of this my studies were neglected and one soon forgets much he has learnt.

A School Master was building an organ at Cradley Baptist Chapel and he, hearing I was short of work and knowing I was musical, thought I should be useful in the work which he was carrying out. I was sent for and engaged and whilst there I conceived the idea of taking up organ building as a business for myself.

I was there 9 or 10 weeks and the source from which the money came stopped as were also those who were employed.

Now I thought was my time so I began a small organ. I have wished many times since that something had occurred to have prevented me from taking up such a task. Not that I disliked the work, far from that, for I was never so much at home as when I was engaged on that organ, but it has been the means of many years unpleasantness. It was the means of turning father, mother, sister and brother against me. The misery I have endured which has been caused through that organ I shall never be able to calculate or describe. It appeared to have haunted me at every turn. Friends I do not wish in any way to weary you with any description of my troubles so I will abruptly leave this part of my history.

Still I feel I must tell you of some of the incidents connected with my work in building my first organ. It would be impossible for me to explain with what pleasure I viewed and listened to the sweet tones produced from the first set of wooden organ pipes I had made. There they stood on the soundboard which had taken so much of my time to make, time I could well spare as we had no other work to do, trade being in a stagnant condition. One thing connected with that soundboard I cannot forget. If any of you would like to take up some work to try your patience, well, make a sound-
board for an organ, I have tried it.

That which we have felt and seen with confidence we tell, I don't remember once getting out of temper with it for I thoroughly enjoyed it, I was happiest when I had to solve some problem in connection with that soundboard. Why was this and why was the other. Never having put my head into an organ builders shop you can be certain I had to find out all for myself.

I remember one experience with that soundboard. It was Christmas day. I had promised I would go to my sweetheart’s house to dinner but that confounded soundboard did the mischief. I was engaged with some important problem and working away at it, forgetting all other engagements. If I had lost my wife I couldn't help it. I wanted that sound board right.

Three o'clock came and I heard footsteps approaching and in a few seconds I was listening to a torrent of reproaches falling from lips from which I would rather have heard loving and affectionate expressions. I had to leave my work and getting a hurried change of raiment I went to the house of feasting and with extra attention and affectionate remarks soon put things on a sound footing again.

About this time a friend of mine in this town conceived the idea of working up a manufacturing business in the Harmonium and American Organ line and asked me to come and work for him and I enjoyed it very much. We made scores of such instruments, some of which went as far as London, Manchester and other large towns. My friend, who had been an ironworker, neither understood much about business or about workmanship in connection with this trade and soon ran out of a large sum of money which happened not be his own and the firm came to a sudden conclusion.

Immediately after this I had several important commissions to carry out in the pipe organ line and as I look back I often wonder how I dared to take such work under hand seeing I had never set head in to an organ builders factory.

I built two organs .. one I sold for 75 pounds and one for 38 pounds .. not very large ones but today they are leading congregations in singing the praises of God. The best I ever did in this line was to the finest organ in Dudley and, what to me shows that satisfaction was given, is the fact that the organist, Mr W H Aston, often engages my opinion now, although more than 20 years have passed since that time.

I will leave this subject hoping I am not making things too tedious for you, but with the fervent wish that I could have continued in the music line. I had omitted to mention that for 3 years I acted as organist and choirmaster at two Baptist Chapels at Netherton. These were happy times and tears are often called to the rescue when I think of the happy years I have missed through not continuing my musical work. All the foregoing incidents took place previous to my 25th birthday.

The 4 years spent in the musical instrument manufacturing happened to be during a very bad time of trade, consequently I did not in any way make money, I simply kept myself going, and outside my time occupied in the music line there was scarcely any work going on at home in the trade commenced with my father.

At the age of 24 yrs and 7 months I added to my responsibilities by taking to myself a wife. These responsibilities did not stop here but increased year by year and I gradually drifted from my favourite study and work in the music line and for about 17 years I practically took no interest in music at all. Having no instrument at home I very rarely put my fingers on a keyboard, still my love for music never waned in the least. So affected have I been by its sweet strains that when hearing a brass band parading the streets I have had to get into a quiet place where observed by no earthly eye, I have had a good cry and have inwardly felt how foolish I was, but still I was unable to help myself.

I will now draw my life story to a close by telling you the best and most enjoyable portion of my life has been spent since making my home with the dear friends who meet on this ground (which has indeed become very sacred to me) week by week. I feel that sunshine has at last entered my soul. I cannot remember a time when I hadn't the desire to become a Christian. The sentiments expressed in the beautiful hymns in the various hymnals have always appealed to my better nature.

I was converted in the old Salvation Army barracks at the time Mr. Wookey was Captain and I experienced very many happy seasons in that old wooden building. But as my responsibilities increased, my love for the house of God seemed to die away and it has been in a dormant condition until 4 ½ years ago I determined to stick to the Reddall Hill Primitives.
linell

Postby Neville Bastable » Sat May 23, 2009 11:25 am

If I may, a few of the shops in the Five Ways part of Cradley Heath that we used that I can recall. There was Prices the greengrocers in Graingers Lane and Shelleys the chemists on the corner of Cradley Road and Lomey Town. In the High Street, Griffiths the jewellers and Marsh and Baxters the butchers. Marsh and Baxters was a large double fronted shop with counters either side of the central entrance as I recall. They had a novel system which fascinated me as a child. If I remember correctly your money was placed in a container by the assistant which then travelled up an overhead rail to people sitting high up at the top of the shop. Your change then came back down in a similar manner. The shop manager I recall was Eric Wylde and he also kept the Park Lane Tavern in Cradley. They had a piano in the back room of that pub with piano rolls. You fed in a roll started it off and it played a tune wihout anyone touching the notes. It just so happened that one of our gang was friendly with Eric’s daughter Jill so we were able to spend many happy hours with that piano at one time.
Neville
Neville Bastable

Postby Silver surfer » Mon May 25, 2009 9:24 am

What a man that Mr Cope was! To have left school at 12 and to have written such a wonderfully eloquent and passionate story of his life. I was enthralled and could have shed a tear with him.

As for the market place, I believe the houses that were demolished so that it could be built could have been part of Tibbett's Garden (or Back). I was told by my recently departed 2nd coz that much of it was owned by the Hingleys/Burleys/Foleys who had businesses there; wheelwrights, brewers and soft drink makers. The area was bought by the council at a giveaway price.

I used to love the old market. Weekly treats at Teddy Grays indoors and I remember 'losing' my mother down the aisles. It seemed enormous to a young child. As I grew older I bought many items from the man outside who auctioned off bales of bed linen and also crockery for my 'bottom drawer', some pieces of which I still have today.

Alas Cradley Heath has 'gone to the dogs' :cry:
Researching Foley, Burley, Dean, Danks, Smith, Pugh, Hughes, Shakespeare.
Silver surfer

Postby linell » Mon May 25, 2009 11:29 am

SS Wrote <What a man that Mr Cope was! To have left school at 12 and to have written such a wonderfully eloquent and passionate story of his life. I was enthralled and could have shed a tear with him.>

Yes, that is just what I thought SS, best wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby linell » Mon May 25, 2009 11:35 am

Must add that the two Drunken Grandfather's were Joseph Cope born 1806, think he was the one that was only drunk some of the time. The other one was his Maternal Grandfather, Absalom Homer born 1806 Cradley Heath, he was Herbert's Maternal Grandfather, father of Mary, Herbert's Mother, he is living with the Copes in 1861/1871, poor Herbert. I believe Herbert was very well known in Cradley Heath as Conductor and Musician, my Mother did tell me what a wonderful Musician he was, think that bit piece of information was passed down from my Nan. Linell.
linell

Postby Sharon » Mon May 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks all, for adding colour to Cradley heath's past...

My dad was at the first speedway meeting too in 1947. my parents took me as a baby in the late 50's, but I apparently screamed the place down at the noise. I became an ardent fan thru my teenage years..Scotsman's hill was quite well known, the bank on which people stood to watch who were too mean to pay! Sadly there's a housing development there now, and the only sign of the speedway days is that the road is called "stadium way"...
I remember the 2 cinema's-werent we lucky! The royal was locally called"the flea pit" As a teenager I went to see a new release that everyone was talking about called "Enter the Dragon" with a martial artist called bruce Lee in it. The B movie (yes, you got 2 films then) was a strange but compelling film called "The Duel" by a new director called "Spielberg"...as a younger child i went to the saturday morning matinee's at the maj. The people who worked the shift with a cinema full of screaming kids certainly earned their money!
Griffiths jewellers is still there neville. marsh and baxters is a pound shop now, and Burton's on the corner of the five ways , is a video rental store. dad stood there as a boy selling papers to get enough money to buy a bike..
Sharon

Postby linell » Tue May 26, 2009 5:50 am

Hi Sharon, shame about the Speedway, I did visit a couple of times, around the time that one of the Riders was killed on the track, I remember everyone talking about it. I am not good with shops, I remember Fine Fare and Woolworths, there was also a Boutique, Chelsea Girl or the like somewhere near 5 Ways, used to go there for my clothes as it was the only Fashionable Shop in the area. I do remember the Market, and can remember how all the Women used to walk miles from Cradley Heath up Hawne Bank with all the shopping, and or pushing Prams, can't imagine anyone doing that today :!: Best Wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby Neville Bastable » Tue May 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Thanks for the memories Silver Surfer, Sharon and Linell.
How could I have not remembered Teddy Grays stall on Cradley Heath Market. My grandmother always purchased her herbal sweets from Teddy Gray. Kidderminster where I now live no longer has a market hall but when it did I found myself years later doing the very same thing from the Teddy Gray stall here.
Back to the Five Ways and two more long gone establishments. First the British Restaurant built during the War on land opposite the Royal Oak pub in Lomey Town and next to the Workers’ Institute. This was primarily to provide a hot meal at mid day for workers in the local factories where a canteen wasn’t provided which I think applied in most cases. Of course taking “ Dad’s dinner” in a basin was also a local tradition.
Then there was Miss Johnson’s café just down Graingers Lane. This was another establishment where my mother helped out from time to time, so much so that as this was a popular spot for the Midland Red bus drivers and conductors to have a cup of tea my mother often travelled on buses free as they all knew her and as I sometimes used to go there from Corngreaves school and sit and wait for her they knew me too.
Neville
Neville Bastable

Postby Sharon » Tue May 26, 2009 5:29 pm

You've done it again neville!
Dad had to take his dad's dinner in his school lunch hour, in a basin with a white cloth wrapped around it,and woe betide him if there were gravy marks on the cloth! he then had to take over on the bellows whilst his dad ate, before returning with the basin.The luxury of sweets...dad and his mates got theirs by finding teddy grays leftovers when the market closed for the day...
herbals! i'd forgotten! must get some...
Sharon

Postby Neville Bastable » Sun May 31, 2009 9:36 am

I have been reminded of Reginald Biggs who had a stall just inside the little market in Cradley Heath, selling confectionery of his own manufacture I believe.
During the war a number of householders kept chickens in their backgardens and I believe Mr Biggs took their surplus eggs and sold them to selected customers of which my mother was one.
She placed a regular order and I was instructed to collect them on my way back from school, supplementing our ration I suppose. He was a very quiet gentleman as I recall who I understand was married to the lady on the cake stall. Anyone else remember them ?
Neville
Neville Bastable

Postby Sharon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:19 pm

I believe mom worked on the stall next to the Biggs one for a while, Neville. Is this the man who had a brother or son Roy? I think they owned the little market for a while. His son Paul is also remembered, as they owned the confectionery shop next to the market. If this is the family, they no longer own a shop in Cradley Heath, and I believe Roy passed away last month...
Sharon

Postby Neville Bastable » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:40 pm

Hello Sharon, I vaguely recall Roy Biggs but I cannot remember how he connects to Reginald Biggs, I’m afraid.
With regard to a recent posting of yours when you referred to the Louvre Building on Cradley Heath High Street I meant to ask you what you knew of it’s origin as I think it was built by Enoch Gould a local character from an earlier time. I understood he was a draper who lived at Foxoak House opposite St Luke’s Vicarage in Spinner’s End which I remember as our doctor’s surgery and which became the Police Station. I understood a shop selling crockery and glassware owned by a Mr Raybould had to be demolished to make way for the Louvre building so named I was told because Enoch's wife had some French connection. I met his granddaughter briefly a few year’s ago. She was of course a very old lady. Any thoughts on any of this?
Neville
Neville Bastable

Postby Neville Bastable » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:59 pm

I made reference in my last posting to the doctor’s surgery in Foxoak House in Spinnere’s End, Cradley Heath. I ought to have explained that the doctor involved was or had been Dr.Cameron He came from Scotland and died as a relatively young man but succeeded in making his mark on the town, a great supporter of charities I was told and very sympathetic to the poor of which there were many at that time. I must have known him but I was still a child when he died and I remember better his successors in the practice. I do remember visiting Foxoak House.
Neville Bastable
Neville Bastable

PreviousNext

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History