Cradley Heath and Cradley

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Cradley Heath and Cradley

Postby linell » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi Sharon, many thanks for your post, hope you had a good Xmas. Thanks for telling me about Oldfields, will have to get my Map out, I do remember the Codsall Estate, had friend who lived in (Harcourt?) Road?? I remember the footpath from Corngreaves to Old Hill, passed the Chain Works, and over or under the railway line, can't remember which it was now, it came out somewhere near Peartree Street. As for Furnace Hill/Lane where I went to School, it is not that one it was Furnace Lane, somewhere off Corngreaves, not on any Map, but this was circa 1800 and I would think that places would have had local names, nothing official which would be on any map, it did exist though, I have found a couple of references to it in the Cradley Parish Register. Thanks for the Harbach update Sharon, best wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby Sharon » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:47 am

Hi Linnell!
Thought of you today-I passed oldfields. The road is now tarmac covered and signposted, which should make your search easier.

Got a query from the general page..recently found arelatives death Ann turner died of Typhoid in the summer of 1877 at home in Cradley High Street. Anyone any information on typhoid in cradley in that period?
Thanks...
Sharon

Postby linell » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:58 am

Hi Sharon, a fellow poster sent me a google map of Oldfields, when it was still green, will have to get over there and have a look. I think that Typhoid was always around, I have rellies in Cradley who died from Typhoid all through the 1800's. Probably before that too, but there are no records which give cause of death before 1837. Nice to see you back Sharon from Lin.
linell

Postby cid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:06 pm

linell wrote:Hi Sharon, a fellow poster sent me a google map of Oldfields, when it was still green, will have to get over there and have a look.

Hi Linell,

If it's the Oldfields off Corngreaves Road that runs into Sutherland Road you'll be sorely disappointed. There's lots of sludge and a brick and rubble recycling factory that kicks out lots of dust and noise, not a blade of grass in sight. I too can remember the old freight line that used to run across the bottom of Sutherland Road into the goods yard behind Cradley Heath library, and the bridge that we had to go over to cross the line. My poor mother had to bounce the pram up one side and down the other.

Cid
cid

Postby linell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:17 am

Hi Cid, your description of Old Fields sounds grim :shock: I remember the footpath going past Burton and Delingpoles, think that was the name :?: Then over the bridge, where did that lead to next, was that Oldfields :?: Many thanks from Lin.
linell

Postby cid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi Linell,

As far as I can remember, you turned into Oldfields from Corngreaves Road and then when you went over the railway bridge you were at the bottom of Sutherland Road. The opening into Sutherland Road is still in use. As you go up Sutherland Road there is a alley on the right which leads into Meadow Walk (part of the Codsall Estate), this alley goes under the main rail line from B'ham to Cradley Heath. Further up Sutherland Road where Burton Delingpole used to be there is still the turning on the right that used to go down the side of the factory (but is now a road with houses on it). At the bottom of this road there is still the road that goes under Buck Tunnel (another rail bridge) and into The Terrace, another street on the Codsall Estate. Oldfields is now a small industrial estate. But I can still remember the terraced houses that used to be at the bottom close to Corngreaves Road. My Moms friend used to live in one of them. Mom still walks up Oldfileds every day that's how I know what a messy place it is.........

Cid
cid

Postby linell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi Cid, many thanks for jogging my memory. I used to walk passed Burton and Delingpole and up or over a bridge, can't remember which it was now :?: I then came out somewhere near Peartree Lane and Trinity Street, this was when I worked at B.Priests. So did I walk along Oldfields and Sutherland Road? Many thanks from Lin.
linell

Postby cid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:05 pm

Yes you certainly did, If when you get to the bottom of the road that used to run down the side of Burtons your turn right to go under Buck Tunnel, but if you turn left it takes you into to Peartree Street, then you have choice of roads to go down (either Petford St or Pearson St which lead to Clyde St or Lawrence Lane) which all leads to Trinity St and then the High St. All streets are still there, but Petford, Pearson St and Lawrence Lane have all been cleared of the terraced houses and rebuilt. But I daresay you would still be able to find your way around.

Cid
cid

Postby linell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Thanks Cid, that is so helpful, yes I do remember walking under Buck Tunnel, then my memory fades until I get to Peartree Street, I can remember the Blue Ball on the corner. I shall get over there ASAP just waiting for some warmer weather :!: Whenever that will be. Much appreciate your help, many thanks from Lin.
linell

Postby Pitcher_NZ » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:21 pm

[quote="linell"]Events from Cradley Heath

Police Sgt Pitcher died at Cradley Heath June 1 1903.

Could you please send me a copy of this story? My Grandfathers brother was in the police & stayed In England when they Emigrated to NZ. I believe this is either him or his uncle.
My email address is REMOVED FROM PUBLIC FORUM
Thanks for the help. David Pitcher.
Pitcher_NZ

Postby peterd » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:47 am

Pitcher_NZ wrote:
linell wrote:Events from Cradley Heath

Police Sgt Pitcher died at Cradley Heath June 1 1903.

Could you please send me a copy of this story? My Grandfathers brother was in the police & stayed In England when they Emigrated to NZ. I believe this is either him or his uncle.
My email address is REMOVED FROM PUBLIC FORUM
Thanks for the help. David Pitcher.

it would be better to send linell a PM as we use bots on this site so it will post your email over the web so i surgest you remove it and pm her

peterd moderator
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby linell » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 am

Have replied off line Peter.

Linell.
linell

Postby tattooedclaire » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:30 pm

Neville Bastable wrote:I have been reminded of Reginald Biggs who had a stall just inside the little market in Cradley Heath, selling confectionery of his own manufacture I believe.
During the war a number of householders kept chickens in their backgardens and I believe Mr Biggs took their surplus eggs and sold them to selected customers of which my mother was one.
She placed a regular order and I was instructed to collect them on my way back from school, supplementing our ration I suppose. He was a very quiet gentleman as I recall who I understand was married to the lady on the cake stall. Anyone else remember them ?
Neville

yes i remember reginald biggs, he was my great great uncle and the information you have is wrong as the sweets were not of his own manufacture but family and he did not have his own stall.It was actually either his dad's or his nephew and it was more likely to be his dad that kept the chickens and sold the surplus eggs, he married freda knowles off the cake stall and in later years my dad reginald's great nephew had the sweet stall and then moved to the fruit and veg stall.
tattooedclaire

Previous

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History