Lye and Wollescote

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Lye and Wollescote

Postby CRAIGLETS » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:29 pm

That sounds interesting!
Any Richards or Clarkes in that listing?
CRAIGLETS

Postby linell » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:28 am

Hi Craiglets, the book goes up to 1928, are your Ancestors later than that? Have found a William F Clark 1861 - 1863 Methodist Minister Stourbridge Circuit. Linell.
linell

Postby CRAIGLETS » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:26 am

linell wrote:Hi Craiglets, the book goes up to 1928, are your Ancestors later than that? Have found a William F Clark 1861 - 1863 Methodist Minister Stourbridge Circuit. Linell.

Hi Linell,

It's been awhile since I was last on here, but that could very likely be one of my Clark family. I have a WIilliam Frederick Clarke and I do beleive he was a minister! Would you know which church or anything more?

Thanks kindly,
CRAIGLETS

Postby linell » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi Craiglets, the book is called 'The Story of A Hundred Years' 1828 - 1928. Handbook of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Stourbridge Circuit. Sorry I can only see Wm Frederick's name listed in the Index of Ministers, have not seen him mentioned in any of the text. He was only there for a couple of years, the ones that are mentioned in detail seem to have been longer serving Ministers. HTH from Linell.
linell

Postby CRAIGLETS » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:10 am

linell wrote:Hi Craiglets, the book is called 'The Story of A Hundred Years' 1828 - 1928. Handbook of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Stourbridge Circuit. Sorry I can only see Wm Frederick's name listed in the Index of Ministers, have not seen him mentioned in any of the text. He was only there for a couple of years, the ones that are mentioned in detail seem to have been longer serving Ministers. HTH from Linell.

Oh poo,
Thanks anyways!
CRAIGLETS

Postby Neville Bastable » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:58 am

Every Black Country town has it’s share of characters. May I mention one of these in the Lye, well known locally some years ago, a friend of my father named Wesley Perrins (1905-1990). Son of a local dignitary Amos Perrins, Wesley had a long and distinguished career as a trade unionist and urban, borough and county councillor and also as a member of parliament for one of the Birmingham constituencies. He was an author and also a local methodist preacher which is how I remember him, particularly that pronounced Lye accent which he never lost.
Neville Bastable
Neville Bastable

Postby Silver surfer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:12 pm

The first time I met Wesley Perrins was in the 60's. He came canvassing (he was a MP) and he had a booming voice, and I mean BOOMING. Thought he'd wake the kids up.
Researching Foley, Burley, Dean, Danks, Smith, Pugh, Hughes, Shakespeare.
Silver surfer

Postby Neville Bastable » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:51 pm

Wesley Perrins I believe went to work down the coal mine part time at the age of 12 and then went full time at the age 13.
Neville Bastable

Postby gaize » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:23 pm

I was amazed to see your post about Henry Wooldridge who invented the frost cog. My Great Grandad, Eli Wooldridge was either Henry's uncle or cousin - I have conflicting info. Eli was born on either 18 Dec 1841 or 1842 - again info is conflicting as I have a birth registration date of 30 Jan 1842. His wife was Emily Smith and she and Eli eloped to get married. Henry and Eli were thought at the time to be brothers as they were very close, which makes me think they were cousins. Henry made a fortune out of his invention and I have a sale catalogue of his estate after he died. We do not know the amount raised but from the quality of the items, it must have been a considerable amount. He built a house, The Lawns, Hagley Road, Stourbridge which in later years became the Labour Club but I dont know what it is now. The only other info I have regarding Eli & Henry is the name Philip who is either Eli's brother or Henry's father. I would be extremely grateful if anyone has any information regarding Henry - birth/death dates etc.
gaize

Postby gaize » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:40 pm

My Gt-Gt-Grandmother was Lucy Hamblet Pardoe, b. 25 Feb 1821 and her father was Samuel Hamblet Pardoe (no dates for him)
Researching Wooldridge - Lye, Stourbridge.
gaize

Postby Neville Bastable » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:42 pm

gaize,I’m afraid I know nothing of Eli but I have that Henry Wooldridge was born in 1840 and that his first wife was Ann Taylor sister of Samuel Taylor, anchorsmith of Brierley Hill. Henry I understood had a nickname “Garibaldi”.
My ancestors were horse nailmakers on Lye Waste but as far as I am aware never worked for Henry Wooldridge.
I hope this helps.
Neville Bastable.
Neville Bastable

Postby lucyloo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi,
Really interested to read all the info on here - I am researching my mother's family, who were all from the Lye/Cradley/Stourbridge area. On may birth certs, censuses etc I have found both Lye Waste and 'Beef Eaters, Lye' recorded as an address, mainly in the mid-late 1800's.
When I try to tie in a birth cert and census (from 1880 and 1881 respectively), it seems the birth cert lists 'Beef Eaters', when on the census (just 4 months later) an address (which I assume to be the same place being referred to) is Baldwin Green. I can't find any reference to Baldwin Green anywhere, but I am going to order a historical map of Lye which I hope may shed some light!

The family name associated to Lye Waste was Brooks (eg Henrietta Brooks b.1844, 27 Lye Waste, some of family also lived at No.28) Maria Brooks nee Perry (b.1820), mother of Henrietta, in 1841 lived at 'Waste Bank', Lye.
The family name associated to Beef Eaters was Smith (eg Sydney b.1880, Beef Eaters Lye, parents Felix and Rosehannah)

As far as I know so far, all are of English descent, at least back to early 1800's.

Would love to hear the comments/additions/genius of any other readers!
Lucy
lucyloo

Postby linell » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi Lucy, yes you are right, there was a Beefeaters Field and Baldwins Green, Careless Green, all these places were Wollescote on the boarders of Lye Waste. Remember that the Enumerators who filled out the Census Returns were probably local where as the Registrar at Stourbridge may not have been, everyone had their own idea of how these places were spelt, most of the working population could not read or write, so it was really anyone's guess. If you do get hold of a map, you need to find Oldnall Road from Cradley which runs down into Careless Green. There are some good books on the Market, I have ' A Brief History of Lye and Wollescote' by Don Cochrane who is local to the area, many maps and local history in there. If you want to trace some of your family names, post them in the General Black Country Section, we have a few Brooks and Perry researchers. Best Wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby bewdley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:47 pm

Hello to all my name is Nigel Taylor and I have been researching my family history and Lye Waste since 1986.Things are alot easier now with the advent of the internet, but learning the hard way and having to spend many hours of holiday at all local record offices has meant a lot of detailed research.Back then I was amazed when I found the enclosure awards for Oldswinford which includes my 5 x Great Grandfather Benjamin Taylor. The original in Worcester record office is written on 30 pages of parchment almost 1 meter square with no abbreviation.I was moved to spend the next 12 months first photogaphing the work and transcribing the whole work.It is a must for any family historian tracing family history in the Lye at 1782.My original copy of this should be available in Stourbridge library.After getting an award the freehold was awarded.Many nailmaker settlers did benifit this way.Another major source of info is the 1827 eclesastical survey this lists all occupiers and owners of oldswinford this was originaly in the possesion of the late Jack Haywood and trancribed by Nigel Perry.Both these works have accompanying maps I was lucy in that Jack let me colour copy the Lye map possibly the only colour copy at this time.The enclosure award map is in Dudley Arhives and I was aloud to trace it back in the early 1990's and can be found in Nigel Perry's History of Stourbridge.The last few years myself and a friend of mine have researched the the history of the last Mud House I would be interested of any feed back on publishing this.Lookford to any hearing from any one.
Last edited by bewdley on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bewdley

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi Bewdley I would be interested to read about the Mud huts you have been involved in writing
about, where can that be obtained from?

and welcome :grin:
Northern Lass

PreviousNext

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History