Spring Mire Dudley

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Spring Mire Dudley

Postby Alan_Haynes » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Does anyone know specifically where Spring Mire, alternatively Springsmire or Springs Mire was in Dudley. I know it was an area off Stourbridge Road.
I am trying to track down information relating to an address of 581 Springmire, Dudley from 1905.
Thanks
Alan_Haynes

Re: Spring Mire Dudley

Postby peterd » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:20 pm

A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Alan_Haynes » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Thanks for response.
As you say Springs Mire seems to be an area around/over the road from Queens Cross cemetery, but on my great grandfathers death cert it specifically says 581 Springmire, suggesting a specific house?
I have been browsing 1901 and 1911 census in an attempt to track down this address but no luck so far.
Any other thoughts???
Alan_Haynes

Postby peterd » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Alan_Haynes wrote:Thanks for response.
As you say Springs Mire seems to be an area around/over the road from Queens Cross cemetery, but on my great grandfathers death cert it specifically says 581 Springmire, suggesting a specific house?
I have been browsing 1901 and 1911 census in an attempt to track down this address but no luck so far.
Any other thoughts???

it might of been numbered 1 - 600 as a district best bet would be an old ordanace survey map dated around his death
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby grangers14 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:41 am

This is for 1911.

1911. 581 Stourbridge Road Dudley
Thomas Winchurch, head, 55, Boot maker
Rebecca, wife, 52, married 30 years, 11 children 9 living
George, son, 27, Sheet iron worker
Mary, daur, 17, general servant
Sidney, son, 13,
Maud, daur, 11,
Rebecca, daur, 9
All born Dudley

A household next door has this as address 580 Springs mire, dudley and is transcribed as 580 Springmire, Stourbridge Road, enumerated as 580 Stourbridge Road.

Jo :)
grangers14

Postby linell » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:43 pm

I believe that Spring Mire encompassed the Dock area, Stourbridge Road and Wolverhampton Road. I have an Ancestor recorded as a Victualler there in 1835 and 1860, from the Trade Directories, he actually lived in Wellington Road The Dock, which makes me think it was all part of Spring Mire.

Linell.
linell

Postby Alan_Haynes » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi Everyone

Many thanks for all your help.

Alan Haynes
Alan_Haynes

Postby sp1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:39 am

linell wrote:I believe that Spring Mire encompassed the Dock area, Stourbridge Road and Wolverhampton Road. I have an Ancestor recorded as a Victualler there in 1835 and 1860, from the Trade Directories, he actually lived in Wellington Road The Dock, which makes me think it was all part of Spring Mire.

Linell.

I have never before heard of Wellington Road referred to as part of The Dock, and I used to live in Wellington Road!
As late as the 1970s / early 80s the area around Waterloo St was still being referred to as 'New Dock (a friend of mine lived in Waterloo St, and 'New Dock' was part of his postal address).
I had always thought of Springsmire (various spellings!) as referring to the area on Stourbridge Rd opposite the cemetery - my grandparents lived in a house there called 'Springsmire' which just below the lower corner of the cemetery on the opposite side of Stourbridge Rd (number was something like 173, but it's been a while, and I never needed the number - I knew where it was!).

I am guessing that the present day housing estate called 'Spring Parklands, derives it's name from 'Springsmire'??
sp1

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History