Allport's Dingle

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Allport's Dingle

Postby nessa » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:12 pm

I am looking for information on Allport's Dingle Brierley Hill, it appears that many of my dads relatives were born and lived there, but neither of us know anything about the area.

nessa
nessa

Re: Allport's Dingle

Postby linell » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:18 am

Hi Nessa, all I know is that it was near Caladonia, Ravensditch, supposedly a wooded area where the Allport family settled.

HTH Linell.
linell

Postby nessa » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Thank you linell, that is all about we know. I wonder if it is worth contacting Dudley archives to see if they have anything available, my dad lived a large part of his life in the area and never heard the name and he is an Allport.
nessa
nessa

Postby linell » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:30 pm

LOL Nessa, your Dad should be the one to ask then :!: Dudley Archives charge about £20.00 an hour for a search. You could try searching yourself when you are up here again. I don't think anyone really knows where Allports Dingle actually was, where they layed their hat I think :!: I have noted quite a few query's regarding the place over the years on various Web Sites, it would have been a local name, probably never on a map, think places got given sort of nick names years ago, there was a Dingle near me in Hawne, doubt that was ever on a map either. If I find anything will let you know, best wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby nessa » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:21 am

Hi Linell,

Thanks for your reply, dad has never heard of Allports Dingle, he is still coming to terms with the fact a number of his family came from Old Hill !!.. He has always been convinced that the Allport's originated from Netherton but it seems only his own immediate family lived there from the late 1800's. The family history is full of surprises.

Best wishes,
nessa
nessa

Postby mallosa » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:17 pm

In the 1901 Census, the enumerator gives the following description....

Staffordshire > Quarry Bank > District 40

from and including Frank Webbs at Mount Pleasant, along the east side of the road to the end of Amblecote, taking all the houses down the several? roads including..
Deeley Street, Ravensditch, Doves? Hill, Astons Fold, Mouse Hall Farm, Allports Dingle, Caledonia, Deeley's Farm, to the River Stour, the Dog and Partridge Inn and ? Coppice
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Return to Black Country Towns, Villages and Streets History