Help needed

Archived posts from the beginners section.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Re: Help needed

Postby Maths girl » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:21 pm

susietwo wrote:Evelyn's mother was Selina Ann Higgins born Bilston Staffs Back of 32 Gozzard St Bilston.

Whats next.

Sue

I am getting confused and hav just tried to draw a tree for the information that you have put together so far :

Can you check this --

Your mother was Evelyn May Higgins born 1920 and married to Thomas Edward Perry in 1941 --Her father is stated as being Thomas Higgins, Labourer on her marriage certificate.
Her Mother was Selina Ann Higgins, who had Evelyn May in 1920, married Thomas Walley in 1928 and James F Kelly in 1937.

So was Evelyn's father Thomas Higgins -- another Thomas Higgins (by chance same name as mother)-- or Thomas Walley (stepfather but wrongly assumed by registrar to have same name as Evelyn --- or just simply made up?

Or has this just been a long day at school and I have totally lost the plot?
Maths girl

Postby susietwo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Maths girl wrote:
susietwo wrote:Evelyn's mother was Selina Ann Higgins born Bilston Staffs Back of 32 Gozzard St Bilston.

Whats next.

Sue

I am getting confused and hav just tried to draw a tree for the information that you have put together so far :

Can you check this --

Your mother was Evelyn May Higgins born 1920 and married to Thomas Edward Perry in 1941 --Her father is stated as being Thomas Higgins, Labourer on her marriage certificate.
Her Mother was Selina Ann Higgins, who had Evelyn May in 1920, married Thomas Walley in 1928 and James F Kelly in 1937.

So was Evelyn's father Thomas Higgins -- another Thomas Higgins (by chance same name as mother)-- or Thomas Walley (stepfather but wrongly assumed by registrar to have same name as Evelyn --- or just simply made up?

Or has this just been a long day at school and I have totally lost the plot?

All I can tell you is that on my mothers marriage certificate the farther is down as Thomas Higgins, but my mother married again as my father died when i was 5 and on the 2nd certificate the father is Thomas Whally. so I think we are both confused did they make Thomas Higgins up, or was he my mothers father who my grandmother never married???
susietwo

Postby Maths girl » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:42 pm

susietwo wrote: All I can tell you is that on my mothers marriage certificate the farther is down as Thomas Higgins, but my mother married again as my father died when i was 5 and on the 2nd certificate the father is Thomas Whally. so I think we are both confused did they make Thomas Higgins up, or was he my mothers father who my grandmother never married???

What does it say on your mother's birth certificate? -- Are there any Thomas Higgins in the family--cousins etc? --

When did people like your mother's mother/stepfather die in relation to her two weddings? just wondering whether your stepfather knew that Thomas Walley wasn't your mother's father and that is where the confusion arose?

Certainly a mystery that will be difficult to solve unless you have very elderly relatives/friends of the family who could shed some light on it.
Maths girl

Postby susietwo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:15 pm

Maths girl wrote:
susietwo wrote: All I can tell you is that on my mothers marriage certificate the farther is down as Thomas Higgins, but my mother married again as my father died when i was 5 and on the 2nd certificate the father is Thomas Whally. so I think we are both confused did they make Thomas Higgins up, or was he my mothers father who my grandmother never married???

What does it say on your mother's birth certificate? -- Are there any Thomas Higgins in the family--cousins etc? --

When did people like your mother's mother/stepfather die in relation to her two weddings? just wondering whether your stepfather knew that Thomas Walley wasn't your mother's father and that is where the confusion arose?

Certainly a mystery that will be difficult to solve unless you have very elderly relatives/friends of the family who could shed some light on it.

all i can tell you is on my grandmother death certificate she died on 28/2/1959 address 140 grove Lane Smethwick, and widow of James Patrick Kelly. I have asked my uncle who was married to my mothers aunt and he didnt think my gran ever married. he is coming on Tuesday will all the papers and photos he has so hope that will shed some light on it. Just knew my gran would be trouble lol. Sue
susietwo

Postby Maths girl » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:27 pm

susietwo wrote: all i can tell you is on my grandmother death certificate she died on 28/2/1959 address 140 grove Lane Smethwick, and widow of James Patrick Kelly. I have asked my uncle who was married to my mothers aunt and he didnt think my gran ever married. he is coming on Tuesday will all the papers and photos he has so hope that will shed some light on it. Just knew my gran would be trouble lol. Sue

I have rarely found death certificates particularly useful for furthering my research -- they seem to be good for consolidation of knowledge rather than spreading new light -- maybe I have been unlucky.

It is interesting that your uncle thought your grandmother had never married but that you have two marriages for her -- obviously not big on inviting guests to the weddings!

As you say hopefully he will be able to shed more light on the situation. It sounds as though your Gran was a character when you say "Just knew my gran would be trouble" -- always the most fun to investigate!
Maths girl

Postby susietwo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Maths girl wrote:
susietwo wrote: all i can tell you is on my grandmother death certificate she died on 28/2/1959 address 140 grove Lane Smethwick, and widow of James Patrick Kelly. I have asked my uncle who was married to my mothers aunt and he didnt think my gran ever married. he is coming on Tuesday will all the papers and photos he has so hope that will shed some light on it. Just knew my gran would be trouble lol. Sue

I have rarely found death certificates particularly useful for furthering my research -- they seem to be good for consolidation of knowledge rather than spreading new light -- maybe I have been unlucky.

It is interesting that your uncle thought your grandmother had never married but that you have two marriages for her -- obviously not big on inviting guests to the weddings!

As you say hopefully he will be able to shed more light on the situation. It sounds as though your Gran was a character when you say "Just knew my gran would be trouble" -- always the most fun to investigate!

Yes she was fun i used to love going to stop at her house, just hope to find out more.
susietwo

Postby susietwo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:46 am

Antie Em wrote:Hello Sue

If your grandmother was unmarried when she had your mom - do you know your grandmother's full name and where she was born? If not, you will need your mom's birth certificate before you can go any further back.

Maggie

My grabs full name was Selina Ann Higgins born 1896 in Bilston
susietwo

Postby Antie Em » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:15 am

I wonder if this is your gran - she's the only Selina Higgins I can find around this age

1911 : 1 Back 32 Gozzard St Bilston Staffordshire

HIGGINS, William Head Married M 59 1852 Musician Pianist Kings Hill Staffs
HIGGINS, Mary Wife Married
39 years F 60 1851 Moxley Staffs
HIGGINS, Leonard Son Single M 22 1889 Engineer Fitter Bilston Staffs
HIGGINS, Selina Daughter Single F 19 1892 Bilston Staffs
HIGGINS, Harold Son Single M 16 1895 Bucket Trade Bilston Staffs

Have to go out now but maybe someone can investigate a bit more
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby susietwo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Antie Em wrote:I wonder if this is your gran - she's the only Selina Higgins I can find around this age

I think that this it her as I know her father was musician but I thought he played the violin and his wife played the piano. But perhaps it was the other way round.
susietwo

Postby Jimmy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:23 pm

1901. Back 32 Gozzard, St Bilston.
Wm Leo Higgins 49. Musician (Violin). King's Hill W'bury, Staffordshire.
Mary Higgins 50. Moxley.
Jeremiah Higgins 27. Darlaston.
Saml Thos Higgins 22.
Wm Geo Higgins 17.
Enoch Higgins 14.
Leonard Higgins 12.
Esther Higgins 10.
Selina Ann Higgins 8.
Harold Higgins 6.

Others born Bilston.
Just trying to do my bit for BCC, bringing families back together.
Jimmy

Postby Antie Em » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Looks like we might have found them then - would you like to add them to the Black Country Tree?

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Maths girl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Antie Em wrote:I wonder if this is your gran - she's the only Selina Higgins I can find around this age

11 children born 10 living

There is also an entry crossed out on the original for a son age 27(or maybe 37)named Jeremiah? -- this is not well written
Maths girl

Postby susietwo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Jimmy wrote:1901. Back 32 Gozzard, St Bilston.
Wm Leo Higgins 49. Musician (Violin). King's Hill W'bury, Staffordshire.
Mary Higgins 50. Moxley.
Jeremiah Higgins 27. Darlaston.
Saml Thos Higgins 22.
Wm Geo Higgins 17.
Enoch Higgins 14.
Leonard Higgins 12.
Esther Higgins 10.
Selina Ann Higgins 8.
Harold Higgins 6.

Others born Bilston.

yes thas them all
susietwo

Postby susietwo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:14 pm

Antie Em wrote:Looks like we might have found them then - would you like to add them to the Black Country Tree?

Maggie

Yes but how??? I new i had family in the Black Country somewere
susietwo

Postby susietwo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Surname Given Name District Volume Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Sep 1933
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHALLEY Iris S Birmingham 6d 745
This is Selina's 2nd daughter, but i'm having trouble finding the son Thomas Whalley's birth
susietwo

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Posts