How to keep search costs down?

This section is for those who are completely new to genealogy and would like to dip their toe in the gene pool!

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

How to keep search costs down?

Postby mrsmoo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi Genealogy friends, I am a novice but I'm learning fast. I have started researching my mother's family tree with very little information (my cousins know as much as I do, which is virtually nothing). The thing that I am finding most frustrating is that I am being asked to pay for things at almost every corner I turn. The worst of these experiences so far is where I have found a newspaper article (which I think relates to an accident my grandmother had resulting in my mother and all her siblings being taken into care and separated) and I am only slightly certain that the story is right but I have to pay for it to see it. I am loathe to pay for something that might be incorrect. I think I am right in that I can go into a library to access the article for free but I live in remote rural Scotland and this is not easy for me to do. Are there any good websites that are completely free of charges? I am particularly interested in searching newspapers, care homes, children's homes and nursing records at this stage. My initial area of search is Maidstone, Kent. Your help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
mrsmoo

Re: How to keep search costs down?

Postby snoopysue » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:03 pm

You can ask to see if someone could look it up for you - someone with the correct membership may be willing to have a look for you - they will of course need some details.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby mrsmoo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:27 pm

That would be wonderful if they could. I think my grandparents were hop pickers at the time. They were working in the fields, I am presuming this to be in the Maidstone, Kent area (this is where they were married and where my mother's birth was registered). The family story is that my grandmother Florence M Moss was injured in a horse and cart accident leaving her with brain damage. I think my mother was about 10 years old at the time which would be 1939 but I widened the search around this time. I have found reference to an accident in the Kent and Sussex Courier on 15th September 1939 which looks like a horse and cart carrying hop pickers was in collision with a lorry. I am not sure if my grandfather was with her at the time (Reginald V Hill) and don't know if the article will mention any names. Is this enough information for you to help?
mrsmoo

Postby snoopysue » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 pm

I've tried Find My Past, where there are newspaper archives - it seems to be playing up at the moment, I'll try again later!
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby snoopysue » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:53 pm

I've found the entry you mention - it doesn't seem to be the correct one. It mentions three injured after a horse-drawn cart collided with a motor lorry at Tent Common, Paddock Wood. The injured were: Mr L Biggin; T Shaw; and J Gunn. All were from the London area.
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby snoopysue » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:57 pm

One question: I take it that Florence was married to Reginald? So that would mean that her name was Florence Hill at the time, rather than Florence Moss?
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby mrsmoo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Yes you're right. I've stupidly been searching for Moss in all the excitement of being a newby :oops: Thank you for alerting me and for checking the incorrect report.
Last edited by mrsmoo on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsmoo

Postby peterd » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:00 pm

So whats your mothers name and which marriage do you have ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby peterd » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:04 pm

go to this site

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

type in the names reginald hill and florence moss years 1926 to 1930

select marriage, all district, all reigons

see what you get
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

peterd

Postby mrsmoo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:05 pm

My mother's name is Eileen Georgina Hill born 21/01/1929. Parents are Reginald V Hill and Florence M Moss married Oct-Dec 1928. Obviously a big family scandal at the time because Florence would have been heavily pregnant when she got married. I have ordered the marriage certificate today.
mrsmoo

Postby peterd » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:07 pm

so you found the marriage previously its best wait till you got fathers name of marriage cert or do you know them or know any siblings of your granparents ?

do you know the date of birth or deaths of you g parents ?

peterd

Postby snoopysue » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:14 pm

mrsmoo wrote:My mother's name is Eileen Georgina Hill born 21/01/1929. Parents are Reginald V Hill and Florence M Moss married Oct-Dec 1928. Obviously a big family scandal at the time because Florence would have been heavily pregnant when she got married. I have ordered the marriage certificate today.

Don't know if my family is unusual - but we have a several who had to get married, as a baby was on the way. We even had one lot who only got married after the third or so child (she was "pretending to be married at the time though)!! There are also some who have no known father, can't imagine how hard that must have been especially in the mid 1800's.
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby mrsmoo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:27 pm

peterd wrote:so you found the marriage previously its best wait till you got fathers name of marriage cert or do you know them or know any siblings of your granparents ?

do you know the date of birth or deaths of you g parents ?

I have absolutely no idea so I am now waiting very excitedly for that marriage certificate to turn up when I can see my grandparents information for the first time. Thank you for the link peterd
mrsmoo

Postby mrsmoo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:29 pm

snoopysue wrote:
mrsmoo wrote:My mother's name is Eileen Georgina Hill born 21/01/1929. Parents are Reginald V Hill and Florence M Moss married Oct-Dec 1928. Obviously a big family scandal at the time because Florence would have been heavily pregnant when she got married. I have ordered the marriage certificate today.

Don't know if my family is unusual - but we have a several who had to get married, as a baby was on the way. We even had one lot who only got married after the third or so child (she was "pretending to be married at the time though)!! There are also some who have no known father, can't imagine how hard that must have been especially in the mid 1800's.

They were obviously trend setters snoopysue :wink: (love the name)
mrsmoo

Postby snoopysue » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:51 pm

mrsmoo wrote:They were obviously trend setters snoopysue :wink: (love the name)

We can have a mutual admiration society - your name is good too. :wink:
My name's my parents fault (I just put my nickname together with my first name, as there are zillions of snoopy's out there!) My Dad, however has modified it over the years, so I'm "Snoop" usually.

The waiting for that marriage certificate is almost like Christmas Eve as a kid!
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Return to Beginners Section