Finding burial plot numbers - how to?

This section is for those who are completely new to genealogy and would like to dip their toe in the gene pool!

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Finding burial plot numbers - how to?

Postby YorksClare » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:11 pm

I went to the cemetery today where I know that at least five members of my family are buried. I remember the last two, so I thought I would just find them relatively quickly, photograph them for the archive and then buzz off. No such luck!

I thought I remembered that Grandma and Grandad are buried facing north, due to plot constraints (it's not conventional, even for us). Grandma's parents should be just around the corner, as it were, and my Auntie went in with them. She was the latest person to be buried, so I expected that her inscription at least would be fresh and legible. However, after traipsing about for ages, and nearly getting run over by some idiot who was late for his own mother's funeral and thought causing two more was no bother, I only managed to find a family grave I didn't expect!

I wonder now if there is somewhere either in the crematorium on site or at the council - as it is a municipal site - where I might be able to view a map of the cemetery plots with the relevant names. Does anyone know where I ought to start looking in general?
YorksClare

Re: Finding burial plot numbers - how to?

Postby Antie Em » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:22 am

Hello Clare

If you e mail the cemetery concerned - they will give you the numbers of the plots you are looking for. Remember though, that the gravestones may have been removed if they became loose and dangerous.

Maggie :-)
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Return to Beginners Section