I exist but can't find myself

This section is for those who are completely new to genealogy and would like to dip their toe in the gene pool!

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

I exist but can't find myself

Postby ChrisKC » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:17 am

My initial interest in Genealogy is to seek information about my Mother. I have visited numerous websites and found so little as to give the impression she (or I)didn't (don't) exist. Only on one site did I find something promising about her but, not definitive and requiring a paid subscription to follow up. Also, in seeking information about her I have given details about my father and, again on only one site (not the same) I found a reference to his death and nothing else. Included in the sources I have tried are Parish records, the Mormon register, Ancestry.com and co.uk
What I find very surprising is that on not a single site can I find any reference to myself, my birth or marriage, even though I have full birth (and marriage certificate) applied for by myself in 1967 and which alerted me to details of a person (my Mother), I had never heard of.
I live in Thailand now but I was born in England in 1945
There is something basic I am missing, right? - or maybe I am an escapee from AREA 51
ChrisKC

Re: I exist but can't find myself

Postby mickwood » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:09 am

I've just had a similar thing, turns out that I was registered in my mothers maiden name, maybe you have something similar?
Researching: DWYER, WOOD, ORGAN and WYLDBORE-SMITH
mickwood

Postby Antie Em » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:50 am

Hello Chris

If you have a birth certificate, then you will find your birth registered on the GRO records. These are indexed on Ancestry and Find my Past, but you will have to pay a subscription to these sites. If you were born around 1944, then it is unlikely that you will appear on the Family Search Site, as this is primarily for baptisms, marriages and buriels and mostly before registration started in 1837.

You will probably find a record of your birth on the FreeBMD Site, although this isn't 100% transcribed.

You can find this here : http://freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

You should also find your parents marriage indexed on this site.

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby sparkstopper » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Christopher K.Crutchley born Jan/Mar.1945 Birmingham
Vol. 6D. page 396.
Mothers maiden should be on this!!!
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby peterd » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Antie Em wrote:Hello Chris

If you have a birth certificate, then you will find your birth registered on the GRO records. These are indexed on Ancestry and Find my Past, but you will have to pay a subscription to these sites. If you were born around 1944, then it is unlikely that you will appear on the Family Search Site, as this is primarily for baptisms, marriages and buriels and mostly before registration started in 1837.

You will probably find a record of your birth on the FreeBMD Site, although this isn't 100% transcribed.

You can find this here : http://freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

You should also find your parents marriage indexed on this site.

Maggie

hi chris goto the free bmd site above

enter surname
first name
mar 1945 sept 1945
select all districts
select all counties

you should appear
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby ChrisKC » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:44 am

Thank you, Maggie and others for your thoughtful replies. I did find myself. My mother and father were unmarried; I was therefore "illegitimate". Would that make any difference in the records?
I discovered when I applied for my full birth certificate in 1967 that the person who I was told was my Mother was in fact another person. Her name was Gladys Marion Keen. I don't know anything about her except her name and I do actually have a photograph that I saw for the first time about 5 years ago! I know also she died when I was about 4 or 5 years old (she was about 22 to 26 when she died) I think it very likely she was from the Birmingham area.
There is a long story attached to why it is now I am seriously looking for basic information about my Mother.* I am not expecting anyone to do the work for me but if I were to subscribe to a website I would want to be sure I can get this basic
information.

* If you are interested in my story go here: http://www.dearestmama.blogspot.com

Thank you again for those who take interest!

Want to know anything about Thailand? I am your man. Indicate a curiosity and I will give my email address.
Chris
ChrisKC

Postby grangers14 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Oh my goodness Chris, what a wonderful blog!
I was in goose bumps and wept along with the story. Thank you for sharing.
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby Waltzer7 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:02 am

Your wonderful blog had me in tears! Thank you for sharing.

Mags
Waltzer7

Postby mallosa » Wed May 06, 2015 5:11 am

Yes its so beautiful that I just had to leave a comment on your blog Chris :wink:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby The Guide » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:58 am

A possibility only for Glady's birth. It's in Birmingham which is where you thought she came from

First name(s) GLADYS M
Last name KEEN
Birth year 1927
Birth quarter 4
Registration month -
Mother's last name PRICE
District BIRMINGHAM NORTH
County Warwickshire
Country England
Volume 6D
Page 661
Record set England & Wales births 1837-2006