General advise please

This section is for those who are completely new to genealogy and would like to dip their toe in the gene pool!

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

General advise please

Postby welshdragon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:21 pm

I have two questions;
1. Am I correct in saying that you can only obtain copy certificates (Birth, Marriage, Death) from GRO or a Local Registry Office. Have looked at sites e.g. Findmypast and Ancestry and they offer a lot but stop short of allowing you access to certificates.
2. I have my Grandfathers full details, now I want to move back a generation to my Gt Grandfather and further hopefully. I have his name from my Grandfathers' Birth and Marriage certificates but don't know his DOB or age when he had my Grandfather. Am I correct in thinking that I can only ascertain this info from the census records and the way to search is take my Grandfathers DOB and go back approx 20-25 years and I should find a match.

ANy help would be welcome
welshdragon

Re: General advise please

Postby Jimmy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Some marriage certs are available on line
depending where they took place, birth and death certs are not.
I you start a new post with all the details you have, what area and roughly what year we will see what we can find for you.
Just trying to do my bit for BCC, bringing families back together.
Jimmy

Postby gardener » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Hi, and welcome!
I suppose your grandfather was born after the 1911 census?
But you have his mother and father both from his birth certificate? Then you could try and find their marriage details (hoping that one or both of them has an unusual name).
Or, you could try it the way you suggested, looking in the census for a man the right sort of age and hopefully the right job.
Like Jimmy says you are welcome to post the details and get some help - if you only want a nudge in the right direction then say so...otherwise people tend to get carried away and do it all!
Oh, and only post details of people who are no longer alive, you could PM someone for help if you only have live people to work from at the moment.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:21 am

Hi Please post in the General Discussion section if you want the actual answers by others
as this section is only to show you how to find the info yourself.

:wink:
Northern Lass

Postby welshdragon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 am

Hi

Thanks for your responses, very helpful. Its confirmed what I thought so I will go off and research myself which I am looking forward to. If I want any specific help along the way I will post as and when.

Thanks again
welshdragon

Return to Beginners Section