Newbie question about transcript books/cd's etc

This section is for those who are completely new to genealogy and would like to dip their toe in the gene pool!

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Newbie question about transcript books/cd's etc

Postby jo. » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:48 am

I've seen books/cd offering transcripts of parish records but a bit hesitant about buying any, due to not knowing what sort of information I will actually be getting!

Would I be getting a full transcript of a entry, or just a index of the entry with the latter I would still have to order a full copy to find out if it is the person I'm looking for, or does it depend on what you buy!

If it's depends on what you buy, is there any 'keywords' that differentiates between, a full entry listing or a index listings!
jo.

Re: Newbie question about transcript books/cd's etc

Postby linell » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:10 pm

They will be actual transcripts from the Parish Records Jo, Baps, Marriages, and Burials, just make sure the name of the Church you need is on the cover, also the dates you need. Linell.
linell

Postby jo. » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks for that...

I've got a couple already on my 'wish list' not expensive but really wanted to know if they are likely to give me the information I was after, rather than here's a link to where you can buy a copy of that particular entry to see if it's right!

I assume that the 'LOOKUP' is based around this, those that have that particular church/parish will take a look at the information, which is another reason why I wondered, as already I've got a couple of people, I would like to ask somebody if they can look up for me, but a hesitant due to not having any information that I can return a favour with...

Plus a rather tight budget, which means that ordering of certificates etc, has to be thought about very carefully..
jo.

Postby Jimmy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi Jo,
Have you tried this site.

http://www.bmsgh-shop.org.uk/
Just trying to do my bit for BCC, bringing families back together.
Jimmy

Postby linell » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:13 pm

No worries Jo we are pleased to help. Just go for it and list what you want to find. If none of us have the info we can tell u where to find it. Your local Archives will have Ancestry and the National Burial Index. Linell.
linell

Postby peterd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:17 pm

jo. wrote:Thanks for that...

I've got a couple already on my 'wish list' not expensive but really wanted to know if they are likely to give me the information I was after, rather than here's a link to where you can buy a copy of that particular entry to see if it's right!

I assume that the 'LOOKUP' is based around this, those that have that particular church/parish will take a look at the information, which is another reason why I wondered, as already I've got a couple of people, I would like to ask somebody if they can look up for me, but a hesitant due to not having any information that I can return a favour with...

Plus a rather tight budget, which means that ordering of certificates etc, has to be thought about very carefully..

before you buy post what church your after as there are some free on line

for eg

cheshire records

http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

lancashire

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html

there are a few more online parish clerk in the county section under there repective counties
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Return to Beginners Section