What to Expect

Archived posts from the beginners section.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

What to Expect

Postby jo. » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 am

As I said in my introduction I'm as naive as they come concerning genealogy, so not sure what to expect from where!

I checked out our local record/archives office website to see what's on offer and prices...

Couple of questions..

If I'm looking for birth, marriage and death certificates, and I know what GEO code, that I'm able to view either the original, transcript or microfilm of said information containing the full information!

If I request a photo copy, I can get a photo of lets say, the birth certificate... Rather than having to order a full copy at the 'online' cost!

If, I use the photo licence available for using your own digital camera I can take a photo's of the said certificate!

Which of cause, will make a lot of difference to costs involved!
jo.

Re: What to Expect

Postby linell » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:54 am

2 different things Jo. The Archives only has the Indexes for birth marriages and deaths, which are on fiche or film. You then use the Index No to order from the General Register Office. Before 1837 there are only Parish Registers they are the ones you can get a copy of for about 50p.

HTH Linell
linell

Postby jo. » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:19 pm

Thought as much...

Oh well off to say me pennies, just means a little longer wait at times than expected.. But hopefully so good research will help to ensure that I order the right certificates rather than duds..

Told you I was a novice at all this, but I get there I hope..
jo.

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:56 pm

The GRO (General Register office) will send you copies of civil registration
Births
Marriages
Death
certificates

at the archives you can get
church docs.
Baptisms
Burials
Marriages

so if you know the church ( and there are sites that can help with that) you can for
at least the marriages get the same info at a fraction of the cost on the marriages
Northern Lass

Postby SRD » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:47 am

Most libraries with internet access have an account with one or other of the 'paid for' sites that you can use to see transcriptions and photos of original records.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby jo. » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks for the information,

I'm slowly starting to get my head around it all, and been surprised what I've managed to retrieve on the internet,

Just need to unravel Why I can't find hubby's granddad birth certificate, and the names on his marriage certificate differ's from his death certificate! We know that the marriage certificate should be correct, due to Gran's maiden name etc, and I've managed to trace her as well...

There is one family member we'll hoping might be able able to give us some more information, but we're not holding out much hope....
jo.

Return to Archived Posts