Orphaned people

Archived posts from the beginners section.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Orphaned people

Postby Spike » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi there my first post here and done a search on here but nothing comes up.

Still relatively new to my family tree but getting along just fine at the moment with quite a few sides of the family.
Well all but my mothers father (my grandfather) he was orphaned at a young age and he is no longer with us, but got asked many years ago by a family member (my mother never did ask as it was never the done thing in those days, seen and not heard was the term she used) about his family and all he could tell them was his mam and dads names and that he was orphaned at a young age but does not know why, seemed to think he was from the birmingham area and thinks he had a sister.

He never did try to find her, but this is where the trail stops for me on this side of my family, I know his parents names but nothing else, no records show up for them, no marriage certs, no death certs and no cencus records, so what I was wondering was, is there some sort of orphanges records I could look at to see who where and if he really did have a sister???

Thanks

Spike
Spike

Re: Orphaned people

Postby gardener » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:46 pm

Hi
Have you been able to find your grandfather's birth certificate? Are the surnames unusual at all?

I don't think there is any central listing for orphans :(
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby peterd » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:02 pm

possible he was adopted ? after being orphaned ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Spike » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:24 pm

gardener wrote:Hi
Have you been able to find your grandfather's birth certificate? Are the surnames unusual at all?

I don't think there is any central listing for orphans :(

Hi there

Yes my mother has his birth cert and the names i have and where he was born but that is all

spike
Spike

Postby Maths girl » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Does the birth certificate have his mother's maiden name ? -- perhaps you could track down the marriage and see if that helps?

If the possible sibling was born after 1915 or so then the maiden name would come up on a search for that child too
Maths girl

Postby grangers14 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:00 am

Hi Spike,
This area on the forum is just for advise on where to start looking, if you want some help in trying to find the names you have it may be an idea to post in the general section and give as much info you have. See if anyone can help you?
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby Spike » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Sorry Jo

I have now posted in the relevent section

Paul
Spike

Postby grangers14 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:37 pm

No worries Paul :)
Jo :)