POWELL'S, Herefordshire esp. allensmore

Filed surname additions added to the main surname list.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, Rob

POWELL'S, Herefordshire esp. allensmore

Postby tonypowell » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:34 pm

I have got back as far as James Powell, born c1790 in Thruxton near Allensmore.
tonypowell

Thomas Powell

Postby [email protected] » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:58 pm

Tony

Do you have any info on Thomas Powell m.Elizabeth Powis Their son was George Charles Powell b1/4/1874 Herefordshire, England They also had a daughter Rose. Elizabeth Powis was born 5/22/1843.

Thanks

Randy Ruth
[email protected]

Postby tonypowell » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:17 pm

Can you give me a bit more info - eg was elizabeth born in herefordshire, rose's approximate gae?
tonypowell

Thomas Powell

Postby [email protected] » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:41 am

I don't have much more than this:

Thomas Powell m Elizabeth Powis(bMay 22, 1843,dJune 07, 1886 Denison, Iowa) Had 2 children George Charles Powell(bJanuary 04, 1874 @Herefordshire, England d.October 17, 1958 @Yale Iowa)(m Lulu Mabel Bryan@Denison, Iowa)and Rose. George became a US citizen in 1896.

As far as Rose Powell the name was the only thing I had. Just read in some notes from my great uncle that Rose was about 3 years older than George.(not for certian of this)

Elizabeth's father was John Powis(b1809) and her mother was Mary ? (b1811). Elizabeth Powis did have a brother and sister-in-law. Their names were Charles and Jessie Powis. Also a sister Hannah and brother-in-law Jim Trupp
[email protected]

Postby tonypowell » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:02 pm

I have had a good look at the censuses for herefordshire, and can't find anything that matches, I am afraid.
tonypowell

Powell

Postby [email protected] » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:33 am

There has always been some question about George's father. Listed on his(george) birth certificate was the name Thomas Powell father was deceased. George would have been about 6 mo old at the time. George never knew the entire story of his father. On her death bed he asked his Aunt Hannah Powis about his father and she replied "George better you never know." So something was up...either his father was married to someone else. George remembered sitting on the porch with his grandfather(I'm guessing it would have been John Powis)at his cottage in England.

Did you see anything in the census about the Powis name? That is the only info we knew for sure. We just don't have a lot of dates to go with it.

I really want to thank you for taking the time to look at your information for me.
[email protected]

Return to Archive