LINCOLN- in SW England

Filed surname additions added to the main surname list.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, Rob

LINCOLN- in SW England

Postby Bob Lincoln » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:15 pm

I'm trying to trace my immigrant ancestor, Thomas Lincoln the miller, who came from "old England to New England" (Hingham, Massachusetts) in 1635. He was born about 1603, and was a widower, probably before he left England. He had 3 sons and 2 daughters, most or all born in England. It's said that his father was also named Thomas.

There are at least 11 Thomas Lincolns born in England about that time. The most likely candidate was in or about Crewkerne, Somerset. A Thomas there was married in 1626 at Cricket St. Thomas and his wife Elizabeth (Bailey) died in 1628. Then a Thomas, possibly the same one, married Thomazine or Tamsin Spiller in 1629, same location. There was also a Thomas Lincoln, married 1599 at Cricket St. Thomas, to Mary Fowler. This could have been his father.

My ancestor moved in 1650 to Taunton, Massachusetts and was closely associated with John and Walter Deane, who were born in South Chard, Somerset. Since it's only a few miles from Crewkerne, I'm theorizing that maybe the Deanes and Lincolns knew each other in England. Many people came from Somerset to Taunton, MA.

Does anyone know of any Lincoln families who have been in the area of Taunton, Chard, Yeovil, or Crewkerne for probably several centuries? I'm hoping to find someone who will have a lineage to share and possibly a male Lincoln who will take the Y-DNA test to see if we match. I'll pay for the test if there is a likely individual. More info on my research is at http://lincoln-family.com/index2.htm Thanks.
Bob Lincoln

Return to Archive