STRAUGHAIR

Filed surname additions added to the main surname list.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, Rob

STRAUGHAIR

Postby Gareth Juliff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:09 pm

Seeking STRAUGHAIR'S from around the world my Maternal Grand Mother was Grace Ann Straughair born Tow Law County Durham in 1881.
Gareth Juliff

Re: Straughair

Postby Nimuae » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi,

In the 1950s When I was a small child - about 5 or 6 years old, we had a housekeeper named Maud Straughair. At that time we lived in High Petergate, York. Maud lived in a terraced house on or near Leeman Road, York. She had a bed-ridden relative living with her, but I cannot remember whether it was Mother or Father. I remember her as being a kind, jolly, person. She used to make cinder toffee and fudge for us children. Maud was pretty, and she did have a boyfriend - but I cannot remember whether or not she married him.

Until recently there were 'Straughair's' listed in the York telephone directory - but there are none in the current one.

Sorry if this is not a lot of use to you.

Nimuae
Nimuae

Re: Straughair

Postby Nimuae » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi again Gareth,

Just a thought ... our Public Library has a good collection of Kelly's Street Directories, from when they first began to when they ceased. Would it help you if I were to go and look in there for you? It would show address's, who was actually living there, and dates of change etc.,. I will happily do it for you, if you think it may help your research.

Nimuae
Nimuae

Return to Archive