Shop / Pawn Shop - Pear Tree Lane

A place for general and off-topic chat amongst researchers. Please ensure that all posts remain suitable for a family audience.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Shop / Pawn Shop - Pear Tree Lane

Postby Jano » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I remember a shop in Pear Tree Lane Old Hill from when I was a child. It was owned by a family of Belchers. On the 1901 C it was run by Harriet, she lived with husband James and daughter Nellie.

It was Nellie who ran the shop as I remember it but I don't think it was a Pawn Shop then6(late 50's early 60's) .

Can anyone remember this shop or have any info about it or the family, in particular Nellie? James, I think was born in Tory Street.

There was also a butchers shop called "Bowaters" - again any info on that?

Thanks
Jan
Jano

Re: Shop / Pawn Shop - Pear Tree Lane

Postby Elizabeth83 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:36 am

Hi there just browsing and saw your post. It's been quite a while though so not sure you'll see this. James and Harriet were my great grandparents. They had more children and their son Thomas was my granddad.
Elizabeth83

Postby BC Wench » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:03 am

Is this your family on BCC http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... ver=340125

If so, you connect to me :grin:
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby nelly » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Hello

Just thought I’ll add a few snippets.
Some of my family are from Peartree Lane.
Nellie Belcher ran the shop but I was told it was round the corner in Peartree Street (back in the 1950’s).
The Bowaters family had a long field at the back of their butchers where they kept pigs.
They slaughtered them on site, not for the fainthearted apparently. They made an awful racket when they knew their time was up!
A couple of doors down to the Bowaters was the Packhorse pub.
I ask about and see if I can get some info.

All the best
nelly
nelly

Postby Elizabeth83 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi there, yes that is my family. Thomas Belcher is/was my grandfather. The lodger is Aunt Fanny! :P How do I connect to you? sorry haven't looked on this page for years so you might not get my reply.
Elizabeth83

Postby BC Wench » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:28 am

Hello, This is how we connect going up the ancestor line first.

James Belcher married Hannah (not Harriet) Greenfield.
James's parents: John Belcher (1839) & Ann Rose.
John's parents: William Belcher (1808) & Anne Pritchard.

John Belcher (1839) who married Ann Rose, had a brother Isaac Belcher (1845) who married Elizabeth Careless who are my 2x gt grandparents.

Coming down from Isaac Belcher & Elizabeth Careless.
Their son Enoch (1867) married Mary Ann Careless, my gt. grandparents.
Enoch & Mary Ann's daughter Edith (1889) married John Thomas Bradley, my grandparents.
Edith Belcher & John Thomas Bradley had daughter Laura who is my mom.

I have a lot more on the Belcher line which isn't on BCC.
:-)
BC Wench

Postby Elizabeth83 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:29 am

Hi nice to hear from you.

I do know quite a bit too but it would be great to hear more from you. Mom had a family tree that a relation in New Zealand sent me but mom died a few years back, I lent the paper copy to a relative and I haven't ever had it back. New computer and I cant find it in my old emails. The relative in NZ was a grand daughter of one of James's brothers (not sure which one) who remained in NZ after James came home. He came home because Hannah wouldn't go out with him and they had two more sons George and Arthur. The other brother died in the First World War fighting for NZ.

I'm not sure how much you already know so I wont go on and on.

On my side James and Hannah's son Thomas married Sarah Timmington and went on to have two daughters Nellie and Mildred (my mother). Nellie had a son Alan and mom had me.

By the way my name is Ruth Lockhart now.

Best wishes :grin:
Elizabeth83

Postby BC Wench » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Hello Ruth,

I know the relative in New Zealand who you are talking about, as she gave me quite a lot of the NZ Belcher line and I gave her what I had on the Black Country line :grin: She is the grand daughter of John Belcher (1880-1959) & Ellen Tromans Parkes.

I will send you a pm. (Personal Message) Regards.
BC Wench

Postby mallosa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Nice connection there if i may say so :wink:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Return to The Snug