school gone by and corporal punishment

A place for general and off-topic chat amongst researchers. Please ensure that all posts remain suitable for a family audience.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Re: school gone by and corporal punishment

Postby Rob » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:14 pm

:shock: :o :roll: I don't do sarky remarks thank you very much!
Sarcasm is not for me but hey let's not forget whose thread this is and a really interesting one as well!!
I have personal experiences of sadistic teachers!! So lets get back on thead please!! :roll:
Rob

Postby mikleed » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Pete......The answer to your question !....".Did he do it again" No, he was a good kid after that, and became agood mate of mine!
Mike.
Englands Green and Pleasant Land.
mikleed

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:22 pm

Rob wrote::shock: :o :roll: I don't do sarky remarks thank you very much!
Sarcasm is not for me but hey let's not forget whose thread this is and a really interesting one as well!!
I have personal experiences of sadistic teachers!! So lets get back on thead please!! :roll:

Oh sorry Rob I forgot it was Petes thread
I hope he sees fit to forgive me
and how are you today Robert well I hope
Northern Lass

Postby Rob » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:00 pm

I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning but other that that i'm feeling quite chipper.
Rob

Postby grangers14 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:24 pm

I have never hit my kids and dont like violence.
For myself I dont feel I should although I have been that close to it! :oops:
I think people should remember respect, for others as well as having resepct for themselves.
I used to get a clip if I broke something and still flinch now when I smash something. :roll: I didnt want mine to be like that.
I am a bit of a softy but they know when they have pushed me too far. My kids and my friends kids soon come round to say sorry and have a cuddle.

I dont know what the answer is to how some people behave, is it because we allow it? Darent try to stop it?

Gain respect and give respect and try to make sure your child has respect for themselves and a purpose in life. :?:
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby Jackienock » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:02 am

peterd wrote:right opened a topic here (me thinks opened a can of worms ha ha ) rather than added to the one in the black country social history

As society altered since corporal punishment at school was abolished.?

where once kids got discplined at school if they wernt getting discplined at home it would teach them what is acceptable and what is not acceptable, now CP is not done at school and some parent dont or not botherd about teaching kids right from wrong that we have such an expolsion in bad social behavour since the end of CP in the late 70s early 80s ?

will it only get worse as now the children who have not had such discipline are parents themselves?

do modern method of discipline work ?

Hi petard, nice to meet you

I think your reference to 'the one in Black Country Social History' is referring to my story about Oldswinford Hospital.

I don't think that corporal punishment did any harm and anyone who was unfortunate enough to receive it, thought twice before performing the crime again.
One such 'crime' was being caught smoking and invariably those same offenders did get caught on a number of occasions.

The punishment administered to persistent offenders got increasingly worse. A first offence was six of the best, administered by hand. A second offence was administered by a slipper. Subsequent beatings graduated from a rounders bat, to finally the cricket bat. Boys had been known to pass out at this final punishment. All these beatings given on the bare buttocks and a set number of strokes, either six, or twelve. We often lay in bed at night listening and counting the number of strokes, when some unfortunate was 'called in', as these were always given at bedtime.

Strangely enough the Master who administered this punishment was one of the most popular teachers in the school, his punishments were usually just and deserved. You may also note that the use of a flat object rather than a cane did not leave the wounds that I described in my other story.

I have to say that it didn't stop people from smoking but it did stop other 'crimes', like 'going out of bounds'.

Personally I only ever got 'the hand' twice. Once for shouting out in class and once for throwing wet papier mache round the art room. I don't think I deserved the first time, as another boy pinched me but the second time I certainly did.

I certainly agree that National Service was a good thing, though it took two years from my life that I could never recover. In fact my life changed completely after demob, as far as my job was concerned.
I don't think it taught me discipline, as I had already been taught that at school but I'm sure that some of today's louts would maybe learn to control their aggression and become decent people.

I have to admit that I did smack my daughters on a couple of occasions, they are both in their fifties now and we still love each other dearly. I am pleased to report that I am very proud of them both but I think their boys do get the odd clout.

Jackienock
Jackienock

Previous

Return to The Snug