Can anyone help?

A place for general and off-topic chat amongst researchers. Please ensure that all posts remain suitable for a family audience.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Can anyone help?

Postby mallosa » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:07 am

Just thinking again about my mom who passed away 36 yrs ago.

In 1923 at the age of 7 she was living in Oldbury Road, Blackheath but her family were living in Avenue Road by 1933, however I don't know when they moved to the latter.
I've often wondered what school she may have gone to, that is when she attended because I know she lost a lot of time due to suffering Rheumatic Fever.

also by 1939, still living at home she is single and a bedstead works polisher. Where would have been her place of work :?:

It's a long shot I know but, unless I ask I'll never know.
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Re: Can anyone help?

Postby Jimmy » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:39 am

Some one was asking about bed manufacturing in 2009,

viewtopic.php?t=3413

There was a company called Vono in Tipton.
Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:54 am

Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:27 am

Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:51 pm

There are some bedstead manufactures on this link but in Birmingham,

https://www.oldcopper.org/makers/birmin ... makers.php
Jimmy

Postby mallosa » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:17 pm

Thanks for all that info Jimmy, I'll have a look at them :wink:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby mallosa » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:29 pm

Jimmy wrote:Some one was asking about bed manufacturing in 2009,

viewtopic.php?t=3413

I've sent a pm to that poster Jimmy, thankyou!

mallosa

Postby BC Wench » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:08 pm

I was thinking of the Vono that used to be on the Vaughan Trading Estate on the Tipton Road side. I remember the company being there in the 1970s, but whether that was just a show room or not I don't know.

When I was little, living on the Old Park Farm Estate, I'm sure one of my Aunts and our next door neighbour used to work there. There used to be quite a few women crossing over our green and I seem to remember them having to catch a coach for them to be taken to work.

Here's a map dated 1938, left hand side pretty much in the middle.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/115476112

Regarding schools at Rowley. Blackheath School must surely be the oldest school in that area. This is the Black Country History web site

https://www.blackcountryhistory.org/ where I found this which is held at Sandwell Archives

Blackheath School Rowley Regis
Logs 1879-1905: 509 Images
1879-1914: 508 Images

Reference Number:ES-RB
Date:1861 - 1978
Level:Fonds
Extent:8 volumes
Creator:Blackheath School
History Note:Blackheath School was opened on 27th October 1879 under the control of Rowley Regis School Board. Log books from the girls' and infants' schools survive, but nothing from the boys' school.
The girls' school closed on 30th September 1929, the log books being left in the custody of the headmistress of the infants' school.
Description:Log Books - girls school (1879-1929): Log Books - Infants' school (1879-1978); Admission Registers (1938-1953)
Terms:Schools
Terms:Education
Related People:Blackheath School,
Access Status:Open
Access Conditions:English
Physical Description:Paper
Contact:Sandwell Archives, Sandwell Community History and Archives Service

FMP has National School Admission Registers, but they would be too early for your Mom as the years are 1870-1914. Found my grandparents on there but not my parents.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby rockyfowler » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:56 pm

The 1937 Almanac of Businesses
IRON & BRASS BEDSTEAD
MAKERS.
See also Wood Bedstead Makers.
Bath Wm. & Co. (agents), 4 St. Mary Axe
E C3
Beswick A. & Co. Ltd. North gro. South
Tottenham N15
Buckingham A. P. Ltd. Clifton works,
26 Pomeroy street SE 14—T A “ Bucksteads, Nucros ” ; T N New Cross 1884
Downes Richard(chair),10Collingwood st S E1
Enterprise Bedstead Co. Ltd. 5 Bath st S El
Hoskins & Sewell Ltd. Midland works, Bordesley, Birmingham
Lawson Tait Bedsteads, 12 to 16 Dane st.
High Hoi born WC1 '
Myer Horatio & Oo. Ltd. 83 & 97 Vauxhall
walk S E U _
Phillips Albert Ltd. Excels'or works, Byre
street, Spring hill, Birmingham 18

Rowbothain Rd. Ltd. 233 -ft 235 Long la S E1
Simco Ltd. Shand st S E1
Turner S. F. Ltd. 14 Farringdon av EC4
Whitfields Bedsteads Ltd. Watery lane,
Birmingham
<fc 12 to 16 Dane st. High Holborn WC! : brass, iron & wood bedsteads,
cots &c. for all markets:
the “ Lawson Tait ” hospital bedsteads
Willmott T. H. & Oo. Ltd. (hospital), 29
Mortimer st W1
IRON BRIDGE BUILDERS.
Some Bedstead Makers there in Birmingham ?
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:49 pm

When did your parents marry San ? Did she meet your Dad in Birmingham? Maybe she was working at a bedstead firm in Brum at the the time? I was trying to think of a school near to Oldbury Road Blackheath.Holt Road School would have been just up the road past Rowley and Blackheath Station but Blackheath School Powke Lane would have been just as far.What Senior School did she go to? Siviters Lane?
Rob

Postby mallosa » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:28 pm

Rob wrote:When did your parents marry San ? Did she meet your Dad in Birmingham? Maybe she was working at a bedstead firm in Brum at the the time? I was trying to think of a school near to Oldbury Road Blackheath.Holt Road School would have been just up the road past Rowley and Blackheath Station but Blackheath School Powke Lane would have been just as far.What Senior School did she go to? Siviters Lane?

I'm thinking along the same lines as you Rob but then again, at the time of their marriage in 1944 mom was living in at the Queens Hospital, Bath Row, Birmingham

Somewhere at the back of my mind I'm thinking it was a school in Long Lane, where is that and did one exist? I don't even know what senior school she went to. All I remember her saying was that she lost a lot of time due to ill heath

mallosa

Postby mallosa » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:32 pm

BC Wench/Rocky Fowler

Thankyou for all that information! I'm still trying to digest it all but not getting very far I'm afraid.

mallosa

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:31 pm

Long Lane is the road out of Blackheath to Shell Corner going past St Pauls church where i nearly got married in 1969. Long Lane goes past Shell Corner up to the island opposite The Stag and Three Horses and the top of Mucklow Hill. Hill and Cakemore Secondary Modern School for Boys and Girls was there close by. You know San Holt Road Junior School was only a skip and a jump from Avenue Road.
Rob

Postby mallosa » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:00 pm

Nearly got married?

If I knew where she was living between 1923 and 1933, it might narrow my search down. Would the electoral roll help I wonder?
I'll have a search :wink:

mallosa

Postby mallosa » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:01 pm

mallosa

Next

Return to The Snug