Hours of fun!

A place for general and off-topic chat amongst researchers. Please ensure that all posts remain suitable for a family audience.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Hours of fun!

Postby gardener » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:52 pm

I've just finished watching the Onedin Line :-) Eighty-odd episodes available on youtube. I'm amazed how well it has stood the test of time. Bit puzzled by the accents, which did not strike me back in the 1970s, but love the stroke female characters, and of course James and Mr Baines! Fun to watch it now with an eye to the history. It had never occurred to me that the Manchester Ship Canal was designed to take ships and cargoes straight into Manchester.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Re: Hours of fun!

Postby BC Wench » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:26 am

We are watching the original All Creatures Great & Small and loved the new All Creatures. Also watching Spooks, Hustle and exhausted Waking the Dead. :-)

Scandi crime dramas are also good on BBC4.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:06 pm

Back when Lockdown first started i watched series 1 and 2 of The Sopranos .Every day an episode now i'm waiting for someone to buy me the final 4 series. Far too expensive for me an OAP to buy unless i happen to come upon the boxed set at a Flea Market for a reasonable price. I've watched Happy Days and Centennial now i'm thinking about Cold Feet which i bought years ago and never managed to find the time to watch. It's Cold Feet or Auf Weidersein Pet.
Rob

Postby BC Wench » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:31 am

We've watched Auf Weidersein Pet on catch up, the episodes in Germay.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby peterd » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:00 pm

gardener wrote:I've just finished watching the Onedin Line :-) Eighty-odd episodes available on youtube. I'm amazed how well it has stood the test of time. Bit puzzled by the accents, which did not strike me back in the 1970s, but love the stroke female characters, and of course James and Mr Baines! Fun to watch it now with an eye to the history. It had never occurred to me that the Manchester Ship Canal was designed to take ships and cargoes straight into Manchester.

the ship canal is massive it goes through Warrington where i was born don't know if you can see these but will post

https://www.facebook.com/alan.barton.18 ... 3488953957

https://www.facebook.com/groups/warring ... 5792139298
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Return to The Snug