Is it biting yet?

A place for general and off-topic chat amongst researchers. Please ensure that all posts remain suitable for a family audience.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Is it biting yet?

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:03 am

Well is it?

another 3 weeks of lockdown....then I bet more weeks.

Anyone losing it yet!!

I am a tad bored!

We need to know what is planned re exit plans.

This is going to be it until we get a vaccine.

But....last night going out at 8pm and clapping was wonderful...to hear the noise in the background
made me feel for the first time part of something...part of something bigger than just my own universe.

And Captain Tom....well what a hero 17 million raised for the NHS

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Northern Lass

Re: Is it biting yet?

Postby gardener » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:46 pm

The problem is that once you tell people that restrictions will be lifted, they begin to think that maybe it is OK to relax a bit now. Here they announced that restrictions will begin to be rolled back on April 4th (chosen to be after May 1st and so avoiding workers' rights marches) and straight away the shops noticed more people out shopping. It is very tempting to think well it won't matter if I start a bit early.
Best to give only three days notice if you ask me.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby peterd » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:39 pm

they will probably do it by job and by area ie teachers and school kids in London and see if infection rise if it does they will clamp down again
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby SRD » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:56 am

A report this morning suggested that the over 70s will have to wait for a year.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:31 am

Exit strategy is a good idea gives us all something to aim for.

Maybe the schools will go back part time.....although they might as well stay off until september.

The elderly may be asked to stay at home....which is so sad I have a friend who is in her 80's
and she is someone who is always out and about doing stuff....so hard on her.

Maybe small shops could re open.

Parks and spaces need to be kept open.

One of those ministers needs to take control and give us something to aim for.
Northern Lass

Postby grangers14 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:11 pm

Our youngest is feeling quite emotional by it all. She has twins, they are almost 2 years now. Her partner has lost his job, no furlough for him :roll:
She said the other day, after giving the twins breakfast one said "thank you Mammy" it brought her to tears!
Sure it will effect us all in very different ways.
Our son is expecting to go back to school, all be it in a small way, in a week. They have been doing lessons via video link. Surely the same set up can be done here. People I know in Spain are also doing lessons via video link.

We all need to do a part in it, stay home and stay safe.
I might be over the top but all shopping is washed or bacterial wiped when it comes in before it is put away.
Post is left at the door for a few hours before it is opened. Hands washed after it is.

My husband has a couple of new hobbies!
Flight tracking...if a plane flies over he looks on his mobile to see where it came from and where it is going, pointing to the sky where it actually is. :?
Another playing birds of prey sounds from his mobile to see if it scares the birds away from the garden? :?

:crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol:
grangers14

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:01 am

Tell him to do family history.....that will hook him!

I haven't moved all morning.....flying Kites!!

:P
Northern Lass

Postby grangers14 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:18 pm

No way! :shock:
He thinks I am crazy doing it anyway! :lol:
grangers14

Postby peterd » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:20 pm

grangers14 wrote:

No way! :shock:
He thinks I am crazy doing it anyway! :lol:

playing birds of prey sounds from his mobile to see if it scares the birds away from the garden? Aint :P :P :P
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

peterd

Postby SRD » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:04 am

grangers14 wrote:Another playing birds of prey sounds from his mobile to see if it scares the birds away from the garden? :?

:crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol:
Why does he want to scare the birds away? Most of them eat the insects that damage the plants. Ok, pigeons can attack food plants & eat grass seed and finches can destroy blossom but those can plants can be easily protected.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby grangers14 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:28 pm

I should have said reaction!
We have a lot of birds in our garden and also see birds of prey! We are lucky. :-)
It was just a boredom thing getting in and see how they reacted? :roll: :crazy:
grangers14

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:35 pm

Anyone have a solutiuon for cats coming into the garden ? My garden house which is open at the front stinks of cat urine !! There are 4 or 5 of the lovely animals snuggling up on my rocking chair luckily covered in plastic. The cats are not in the garden at the same time but during the course of the day. And i'm being driven insane by reports of movement on my phone. I've tried candles with a perfume abhorrent to cats! Thats what they told me in the shop anyway. Not only abhorrent to cats i can tell you! Horrible ! I've tried plants that cats cannot bear ! Holly leaves on the floor ! Anyone any suggestions? Wait! Theres movement in my garden ! It was that big ginger one from 3 doors away. I'm going to get me a pellet gun that'll sort them out !!!!!
Rob

Postby kdwoodie » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:49 pm

Rob wrote:Anyone have a solutiuon for cats coming into the garden ? My garden house which is open at the front stinks of cat urine !! There are 4 or 5 of the lovely animals snuggling up on my rocking chair luckily covered in plastic. The cats are not in the garden at the same time but during the course of the day. And i'm being driven insane by reports of movement on my phone. I've tried candles with a perfume abhorrent to cats! Thats what they told me in the shop anyway. Not only abhorrent to cats i can tell you! Horrible ! I've tried plants that cats cannot bear ! Holly leaves on the floor ! Anyone any suggestions? Wait! Theres movement in my garden ! It was that big ginger one from 3 doors away. I'm going to get me a pellet gun that'll sort them out !!!!!

Try Rosemary Fresh or dried , Lemon and White Vinegar, put all in a spray bottle and spray where needed. Other than that get some lion dung
kdwoodie

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:56 am

Rob wrote:Anyone have a solutiuon for cats coming into the garden ? My garden house which is open at the front stinks of cat urine !! There are 4 or 5 of the lovely animals snuggling up on my rocking chair luckily covered in plastic. The cats are not in the garden at the same time but during the course of the day. And i'm being driven insane by reports of movement on my phone. I've tried candles with a perfume abhorrent to cats! Thats what they told me in the shop anyway. Not only abhorrent to cats i can tell you! Horrible ! I've tried plants that cats cannot bear ! Holly leaves on the floor ! Anyone any suggestions? Wait! Theres movement in my garden ! It was that big ginger one from 3 doors away. I'm going to get me a pellet gun that'll sort them out !!!!!

Do you really have a rocking chair.....Like Val Doonigan!!

Get that song playing..........I Saw a Cat where!! there on the Chair...there on the Chair right there!!
a little cat with Clogs on .... going clip clippity weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee on the chair!
He sang every morning, "How lucky I am
Sitting on a chair in old Amsterdam!"
Northern Lass

Postby peterd » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:56 am

Essential oils including lavender, eucalyptus and lemongrass are used in natural cat repellents. why not grow the plants in pots

peterd

Next

Return to The Snug