What is lockdown?

A place for general and off-topic chat amongst researchers. Please ensure that all posts remain suitable for a family audience.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

What is lockdown?

Postby Silver surfer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 pm

Am I thick or what? Does lockdown mean no movement of people unless absolutely necessary? That's fine as I have been self isolating the last 2 weeks as I am an oldie. Why then are the ferries still running, also Eurostar, channel tunnel still open and people allowed to fly out and back in? Funny lockdown to me. Seems a case of do as I say. My neighbour works in a warehouse and they had a shipment from China 2day and its only motor bike parts. Funny if it wasn't so serious. :roll: :roll: Perhaps if someone lost a family member to this hateful disease they might take it more seriously. My partners sister in law who was nearing the end of chemo sadly died of the virus in Surrey on Mother's Day. Her husband is now fighting it. We pray he will survive. It would have been their 50th wed Ann this Saturday.
Researching Foley, Burley, Dean, Danks, Smith, Pugh, Hughes, Shakespeare.
Silver surfer

Re: What is lockdown?

Postby rockyfowler » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:21 am

Sorry to hear of your sad loss and ongoing situation hope it will ease for you and your family Kind Regards RF :(
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:25 am

I suppose it is as the Govt has said for us re all going out. Restrictions.

However...I don't think the shopping stuff is working
Seems that the home delivery slots hard to find. possibly booked for next 2 weeks..depending on store.
So those elderley that don't do computers or home delivery are having to queue 6ft apart outside
the supermarket.
That was my experience yesterday at one supermarket.
Only letting a certain number in.

However once inside....although folk were keeping their distance, when we got to the checkout
they decided to open up another right next door so we were then next to other shoppers.
We distanced ourselves as much as we could.
On the way out the other Tills were every other one open...which was fine...except for that end one.

So as I would I complained ....in a loud northern voice to the manager who assured me he would sort...we shall see.

I think it is a mess.
Herding cats.
There shouldn't be any vulnerable people queuing at all.
Northern Lass

Postby rockyfowler » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:07 am

Sadly it will only be for a short while as the PM said a lot of people will die from this it will soon be hundreds a day like other countries and food will be delivered by all those volunteers :cry: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/
Last edited by rockyfowler on Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:12 am

The supermarkets need ONLY do online now for vulnerable and elderley.
People shop at shops that are able.
And people help do shopping for those that need it.

Open Tills need to be every other one.

And the ATMs need to be closed.....or cleaned after every customer.
Only use cards to pay.

And give out disposable gloves to wear before you go into shop then dispose of on way out.
Northern Lass

Postby grangers14 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:23 pm

Try saying lock down to my father in law and his wife, both mid 80's my uncle too and also terminal cancer? They all still go out and shopping? :roll:
I have tried many times to explain they should not as people have offered to help...excuse after excuse! I like to see what I am buying, I will get more going early for elderly time slot :roll: :?

Some shops now for delivery you have to be elderly...so what about the younger generation who can't go out?
I have children around who will help me, but I would rather not ask them as they have young children. :?
If they are doing limited shopping, getting mine would take longer and the restrictions they would not be able to get?

On a positive, I had my medication delivered and left outside :) By and elderly gentleman from our chemists.
I brought it in wearing gloves, then washed each packet down. All a bit soggy but soon dried out to put away!

Post is left at the letterbox for a few hours, then picked up with gloves on, gloves then washed... :roll:

We just need to stay as safe as we all can!
grangers14

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:24 am

What I have been surprised at is that there doesn't to be any Govt health warnings
on TV throughout the day say morning lunchtime evening and night.

I would have expected it to flash up regularly as a list of do's and don'ts
so anyone unclear would be clear.

The shopping for Vulnerable and Elderly needs to be sorted.
Bearing in mind not everyone has computers.

They have a click and collect on their delivery slots.....but delivery slots as we know difficult to get.
Surely they could organise a ...drop off your shopping list to a shop employee...at the shop...employee comes out to car to get it...
you are then given adesignated day to come and get it ....staying in your car....come and get shopping....and pay for it via card at car...drive home..
maintaining distance when paying...wipe down machine with antibac spray...onto next car.
Northern Lass

Postby grangers14 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:13 pm

There has been warnings on tv that I have seen.
Shopping with Asda, they only have 2 week slots now, for my area all booked and all click and collect booked. Also another problem, after sitting in the queue placing an order, payment does not go through? So no no order! :roll:
grangers14

Return to The Snug