How is everyone doing?

A place for general and off-topic chat amongst researchers. Please ensure that all posts remain suitable for a family audience.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Re: How is everyone doing?

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:48 am

So schools closing.
Wonder what is coming next.

I can't get any fresh meat at supermarket so just buying wine!
Ready meals seem to be available.

I think they need to get this self testing rolled out to see who has had it
then we can go back to normal!

If they cancel corrie that is it!! ...I will have to do genealogy again :shock:
Northern Lass

Postby BC Wench » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:22 pm

I have my fix of Classic Corrie on ITV3 on an afternoon. Denise Osbourne has just had Daniel (father Ken Barlow), Sally Webster has had Sophie and Steve McDonald is "courting" Fiona who has Emma.

Some people think I'm soooooooo sad watching Corrie, but last week at our local quiz, the picture round was actors off Corrie. There were groans, sighs, shaking of the head of some people, but we got (well I did, not wanting to blow my own trumpet!!) 8 out of 8. :lol:
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby grangers14 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:20 pm

Pubs and restaurants now too...
Our middle daughter has lost her job on Thursday. :roll:

My husband away working, 2 people in quarantine there! :shock:

I get my shopping delivered when he is away, I got very few items the other day. No slots available till 8th April now! :shock:

Our youngest will get some things if she can and drop off outside. :grin:
Nextdoor messaged this evening saying if I need anything to let them know. :grin:

People are trying to rally round...
Thing that puzzles me though...if people are shopping for others how will they get multiple items? Or prove they are for others? :?
grangers14

Postby Rob » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:24 pm

It's about time the schools pubs and clubs and leisure centres cinemas have been closed. We've had that here nearly a week. luckily i've got the beer in and the living room is being decorated. Ceilings done and all the windows just finishing off the door frames cos we've gorra new colour scheme and then i can start the paper hanging zzzzz
zzz
zz...
Oops sorry. Fridge is packed and the deep freezer i've got dozens of bog rolls and pasta and tins of soup. No i haven't just normal things. Disgusting the way some people are behaving. We are more or less self isolating well my wife is she's not allowed out. I only go out to the supermarket or the chemists. I'm watching The Sopranos series one and i've got a book about the Kray twins on the go as well. Stay strong be safe and wash your effin' hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyXRd1KXdqs
Rob

Postby SRD » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:02 am

BC Wench wrote:I have my fix of Classic Corrie on ITV3 on an afternoon. Denise Osbourne has just had Daniel (father Ken Barlow), Sally Webster has had Sophie and Steve McDonald is "courting" Fiona who has Emma.

Some people think I'm soooooooo sad watching Corrie, but last week at our local quiz, the picture round was actors off Corrie. There were groans, sighs, shaking of the head of some people, but we got (well I did, not wanting to blow my own trumpet!!) 8 out of 8. :lol:
:grin: I'll never forget one evening in the Old Swan, Netherton, me and a mate, both from Kent, were supping pints of Ma Pardoe's best and playing darts with some locals and suddenly everything stopped, all of the clientele clustered round the tiny telly at the end of the bar for half an hour for Corrie, even beer purchasing was saved 'til the adverts.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby rockyfowler » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:30 am

Keeping busy tidying my man shed- surprising how it got in that state :o
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby mjay » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:28 am

I've not been out in a week can't take the risk. Apart from a walk in the garden.
Paul is now working from home. Andy is still in Bath, Uni on lockdown. Unsure how he's going to finish his 3 years. Especially when most of his course is practical.

Plus side organising folders and doing Genealogy.
Oh and Paul's going to install dishwasher and cooker that was thankfully delivered yesterday, not the best time for them to die eh !
Take care all and stay safe
Researching: Yates,Hunt,Brookes,Artess,Sheldon,Thornton,Hooper,Crowley,Lacy,Downes,Weaver,Artess
mjay

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:17 pm

This lack of stuff on the shelves is getting annoying now.

So I think they need to reduce the hours until they have it under control.
First hour and lunchhour dedicate to elderly to get stuff.

or an aisle especially for the elderly....manned by assistant.

And they should be thinking about the elderly that can't or don't want to operate a computer.
Not everyone wants to have to do that.
Maybe they could do a sort of corner shop thing...where they take a note of what the elderly
want to buy...and get it delivered to them.

Or even a sort of corner shop area for the elderly...where they can go in and get stuff they need.
Milk, Eggs, Bread, fresh meat fresh veg ...and those white things that bounce!!
Oh yeah Toilet Rolls.
Oh and wine!

any other ideas?
Northern Lass

Postby BC Wench » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:54 pm

Our local Tesco is prioritising the elderly and most vulnerable to do their shopping between 9am and 10am Monday, Wednesday & Friday. Also on Sundays, NHS workers will be able to browse an hour before checkouts open.

Our local Co-op is keeping the first hour of opening to the elderly and most vulnerable. Ken does the local shopping for his elderly parents and because everybody knows everybody else where we live, the staff know who he and others like him are shopping for.

We have an absolutely brillian community here, loads of volunteers who are offering to do shopping, delivering meals and getting prescriptions for the elderly. Local pubs which have had to close are doing takeaways and delivering free of charge.

With all the pubs, cafes, hotels closing there should be plenty of bog roll available :lol:

Bring back the ration coupons!!
BC Wench

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:10 am

Keep Calm and Queue!
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:47 am

Went into Sainsburys and they have closed the deli and meat counters at the one I went in.

Now if they get their act together they could do something with this area

Like....stock it with the stuff that is flying off the shelf
Toilet Rolls
Fresh Food
Paracetemol
pasta
tins
etc. etc

They could Make these 2 areas a Corner Shop area1 for NHS and Key Workers and 1. for Elderley
Ticket service...so they must Queue
and prove age and job they do
But at least they have a chance of getting some stuff.

They could sort a collect service here for these groups with lists given in and collected later depending
on stock.

Bit like the old corner shop idea.

Supermarkets need to do a lot more to come up with ideas.
Northern Lass

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:22 am

:o What a good idea !! You know, and i genuinely mean this folks , you're wasted sitting on your bum :shock: doing nothing ! Somebody give her a job.
Rob

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:03 pm

And i'm not bored at all ! Got plenty to do. Did you know there are 2131 Rice Krispies in a packet !! :o
Rob

Postby gardener » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:03 pm

That Corner Shop idea is brilliant! Send it to your local branch and tell them to get cracking.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby BC Wench » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:12 pm

Rob wrote:And i'm not bored at all ! Got plenty to do. Did you know there are 2131 Rice Krispies in a packet !! :o

:lol: :lol: I've been diddled, you've got 2 more then me, unless I've miscounted.
BC Wench

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug