Like it or loathe it - THE ASHES

A place for general and off-topic chat amongst researchers. Please ensure that all posts remain suitable for a family audience.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Like it or loathe it - THE ASHES

Postby BC Wench » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:07 pm

We've been on our hols this past week and I can't believe there's no mention of ENGLAND WINNING THE 2019 CRICKET WORLD CUP. :o :o

Congratulations to our chaps in making it an absolutely breath taking final. Didn't manage to see it live, but soooo glad we didn't in one way as I think we would have had heart failure. :lol:
Last edited by BC Wench on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: Like it or loathe it

Postby gardener » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:49 pm

I was watching the men's tennis final on TV and keeping an eye on the cricket score online. I felt quite exhausted afterwards!
And now the netball world cup is happening too. It seems to have changed a lot since I played it at school ;-) A club started up locally last year and I've really enjoyed training/playing once a week in a very mixed-ability group :-)
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:40 pm

Wished I`d have been on hols as well :cry: -you could not get away from it newspapers page after page tv news headlines night after night same c--p :roll:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby peterd » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:31 pm

Well i watch the F1 Hamilton winning the British GP for the 6th time, a record
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:42 pm

I love cricket and as a kid i'd go to Dudley to watch Worcestershire play county cricket. I knew all the players and followed it intently for many many years However for a time in the 70's and 80's we didnt have BBC in The Netherlands,thats where i've lived since 3rd April 1970, which meant i missed so much. No Internet in those days. Now we have BBC they no longer broadcast cricket !! I could play a bit as a kid as well Barb me and Peter Hill were demon bowlers for Good Shepherd !
Rob

Postby SRD » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:06 am

They may not broadcast on TV but the BBC broadcast ball by ball commentaries of all County Championship matches (as well as the RLODC & Vitality Blast) online and many of the clubs have their own live stream which use the BBC's commentary. Because of the contract Sky has with the ECB you only get the wicket shown on fixed angle cameras, one for each end, so you don't get to see the action out in the field and not all Counties stream all of their matches and the streams can be a bit dodgy, falling over quite regularly, but for cricket lovers it's a damn good service especially as Sky, despite having the contract, refuse to broadcast most of the County Championship matches.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby BC Wench » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:26 am

We've now got The Ashes to look forward to :grin: You should enjoy that RF :wink:

Well done to you gardener with your netball. I'm all aches and pains after just gardening!

Well done to Lewis Hamilton, but I think that with Formula 1 racing they should all put the car keys (do they have keys?) into a pot and all the drivers pick out a key and drive that racing car and then see how good they are - just a thought.

It's a shame Rob that you didn't carry on with your cricket as Peter was a good cricketer, but not as good as my Ken :lol:

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=15&image_id=4017
BC Wench

Re: Like it or loathe it - THE ASHES

Postby BC Wench » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:10 am

:crazy: :crazy: :clap: :clap:

Was that brilliant or was that brilliant. How emotional was that final day. On the edge of our seats watching and had tears in my eyes at the end.
BC Wench

Re: Like it or loathe it - THE ASHES

Postby Frodo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:12 pm

Motor sport for me. I used to watch cricket when I was younger as my dad was a fan. Although I'm not from Sheffield I live on the outskirts and it gets good coverage because of Joe Root and a while back Michael Vaughan
Frodo

Return to The Snug