Wall of Death

A place for general and off-topic chat amongst researchers. Please ensure that all posts remain suitable for a family audience.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Wall of Death

Postby Carol » Sun May 31, 2009 8:57 pm

Wall of Death, could some one tell me what this was please? I have a vague idea it was a sort of early speedway affair at Rowley Regis on some kind of bank?
Where was it held and could someone enlighten me what it was all about? When did it finish?
Carol

http://www.southernlurcherrescue.org.uk/

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSSkhCu/]
[/url]
Carol

Re: Wall of Death

Postby linell » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 am

Hi Carol, I did attend the Speedway once, in the 60's, it was at Dudley Wood, which was up St Anne's Road off 5 Ways. It closed circa 1980, apparently it is now a housing estate. Sorry can't be much more help, you can search for 'Cradley Heath Speedway' either google or The Bugle Website. HTH best wishes Linell.
linell

Postby Sharon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi carol and Linnell
Cradley heath speedway was a weekly thing for many years at Dudley Wood. Travelling fairs stopped at Cradley heath and Rowley Regis,and one of their sideshows was a wall of death show.The wall of death was like a large cylinder in which a motorcyclist would ride round and round until his speed was such that he was travelling horizontally....
Sharon

Postby Rob » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:52 pm

The Wall of Death was at the local fairs.Usually Pat Collins's.
Now i definitely remember Walls of Death at the fairs down Oldbury or do i?
Or was it at the fair at Whiteheath on "The Tocky Bonk" at the bottom of Throne Road?
And like Linell says they would ride around and around on their bikes going faster and faster until they were horizontal!!
The bottom of Throne Road in the 60's was part of Rowley Regis.On the other side of the road was Oldbury!!
Now am i a mine of information or not?
Rob

Postby Carol » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks everyone -it isn't quite how I imagined it. I was thinking more of raleigh driving around quarry pit banks or something
Carol

http://www.southernlurcherrescue.org.uk/

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSSkhCu/]
[/url]
Carol

Postby linell » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Have you tried googling Carol? There must be 101 pictures of Cradley Speedway, may even find one with Robbie on it :roll: Best Wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:49 pm

I'll tell you something Holls my cousin was The Mechanic to Phil Crump back in the 70's
So if you google long enough who knows what you may find!! :lol:
Rob

Postby linell » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:59 am

:lol: Rob, was Phil there the night of that awful accident, can't remember the name of the Rider unless I google for it? Best Wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby Sharon » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:15 pm

A fair still visits Rowley at the island by Powke lane Cemetery at the bottom of moor lane....and one of the BBC "red" links is of wall of death riders. I've set the fatal speedway rider task for my parents. I know of some speedway tradegies, but cant recall one at the track...
Sharon

Postby Neville Bastable » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:18 pm

Linell and Sharon the Cradley Heath speedway rider that was killed at the Dudley Wood stadium was Ivor Hughes. It happened in 1966. I wasn't present myself having more or less given up speedway by then.
Neville
Neville Bastable

Return to The Snug