Any tips on slugs and snails?

A place for general and off-topic chat amongst researchers. Please ensure that all posts remain suitable for a family audience.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Any tips on slugs and snails?

Postby rockyfowler » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:32 pm

I always have a good result with growing flowers busy lizzies geraniums etc in greenhouse but we need to try to grow more vegs so I tried sowing dwarf beans and the slugs treat them as a takeaway :roll: just leave the stalks :cry: I have put Strulch around the next lot has anyone tried this? Also I bought a pint of beer for them I'll put that in a cup for them :wink: I tried slug pellett s years ago but I think they are bad for the wildlife :shock: I have strawberry plants in there and they haven`t touched them unless they are wating to have the fruit for desert :oops:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Re: Any tips on slugs and snails?

Postby mjay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:18 pm

You could try breaking eggs shells and scattering them around the ground that plants/veg are planted in.
Another tip is some washing-up liquid diluted with water in a spray bottle. Spray the leaves and hopefully they'll slip off.
Or this one that made me laugh when I heard it recently was smoother the plant and lower leaves with vaseline again in the hope they slip off :lol:
Researching: Yates,Hunt,Brookes,Artess,Sheldon,Thornton,Hooper,Crowley,Lacy,Downes,Weaver,Artess
mjay

Postby rockyfowler » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:00 am

Thanks :grin: will save my shells now- funny talking about the vaseline I used Vick on our flowers for the grave and they don't like that :idea: so may try put some around my plant pots some one said about wool pellets so I`ll see what b and q have got today for slugs (pension discount Wednesdays ) they may have a beer trap ? :wink:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby mjay » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:17 pm

Ive not heard of wool pellets and keep us posted on what works.
Researching: Yates,Hunt,Brookes,Artess,Sheldon,Thornton,Hooper,Crowley,Lacy,Downes,Weaver,Artess
mjay

Postby mallosa » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:50 pm

I've found this to be invaluable....

'Doff Copper Tape' I bought mine from B & M Bargains. Just googled it and they are doing a 2 pk for £3.99

Another name for it is called 'Slugs Be Gone' Copper Tape
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby rockyfowler » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:05 am

Thanks a lot for tips- the strulch seems to be working at moment :roll: but I will try the other ways as well, seems a waste to try and grow stuff and it feeds the slugs but I will persevere :roll: Best RF
rockyfowler

Postby grangers14 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:16 pm

I used dregs of can's and bottles of wine in a shallow dish, set to ground level.
I got a huge amount of slugs and snails! :shock:
Our neighbour called round and looking round the garden she asked what they were for, I told her. She said they had no problem with slugs or snails! :shock:
Probably because they were in our garden having a party! :lol:
grangers14

Return to The Snug