*Archived * -James & Ann Nock

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

*Archived * -James & Ann Nock

Postby nocky1972 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:34 am

Hi there,
could someone please help me as i'm starting to lose all hope !!! :cry:

I have a marriage certificate for my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather Thomas Nock and his wide Mary Ann Law dated 1845 (St Martins, "Pepper-pot", Tipton); Thomas's father is down as James Nock (occupation: Nailor). I have searched IGI online for Thomas Nock with James Nock as father and have come up with Thomas Nock Christened 1823 St Thomas, Dudley, Worcestershire. James's wife is down as Ann...I have then searched for all children of James & Ann Nock in both Staffordshire (Tipton & Rowley Regis) and Worcestershire (Dudley). The eldest being William Christened in Rowley Regis in approx 1804. The others being : John : 1806, Samuel 1807, Benjamin 1810 & Eliza 1812. My attentions then turn to St Thomas Dudley and Ann Maria 1815, James 1818, Elizabeth 1820, William 1821, Thomas 1823, Joseph 1826 & Edward 1828... My first question is can anyone substantiate these finding for me as sometimes i feel i may be jumping the gun somewhat !..
I have also looked at marriages on the IGI system for James Nock and Ann and have come up with 4 possibilities as follows : -

1/ James Nock & Hannah ????? married: 1802 Rowley Regis

2/ James Nock & Ann Priest married: 1803 Lichfield

3/ James Nock & Hannah Purton married: 1805 St Thomas, Dudley

4/ James Nock & Ann Freeman married: 1806 Halesowen

If the aforementioned children are correct from both Rowley and Dudley Christening then am I right in assuming (hate that word) that I can eliminate the last two mariages (Hannah Purton and Ann Freeman) ?.. I have found a census return for 1841 for James & Hannah Nock living or possibly owning Nock's W.House. James is down as 'IND' and is the first person listed at this address. There is a women called Mary Purton listed as daughter which is strange... Maybe this is Hannah's sister ? .... Going back to the marriage certificate I have for Thomas Nock; James Nock was a Nailor by profession so does this rule out this couple in the census return as the James nock here is 'IND' ????

Confused Yet ? I certainly am... If there is anyone who can break down this wall for me I would be eternally grateful. I thought when I started that my name was uncommon but how wrong I was. I would love to be able to find out which Ann or Hannah James Nock married and if possible where and when he was born.

I look forward to hearing from someone soon

many thanks in anticipation

Simon Paul Nock
nocky1972

Re: James & Ann Nock (Dudley/Rowley Regis/Tipton)

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:14 am

HI nocky and welcome to the forum :grin:

We have a dedicated section called the Black Country Genealogy section and I have now moved this post to here :wink:
If we are still stuck on it I will move it back to the brick walls section

You could well have 2/3 James and Ann Nocks or Hannah having some of those kids
You need to look at that marriage and see who the witnesses are for Thomas and Ann any clues for sibs?

The info in the parish registers dont show abode and occupation of father until about 1811 ( think it is that date need to check)
so before that you dont get much more than the info on IGI.
unless the vicar has made his own notes which is very rare

Have you got Thomas on the 1841 census at all?
where is he living?
who is he living near?
he doesnt marry until 1845 so might be near parents or sibs.

where are you based cos that dudley bapt might hold info on where living etc 1823
at Dudley archives for Thomas and family.

I would have thought this lot more likely maybe later marriage than those above not all is on IGI
or could be that earlier one.

St Thomas Dudley and Ann Maria 1815, James 1818, Elizabeth 1820, William 1821, Thomas 1823, Joseph 1826 & Edward 1828...

looking at those bapts would give you an idea if the same family as abode and occup of father would be on
and see if they all match and what the mother is actually called Ann or Hannah
Northern Lass

Postby nocky1972 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:44 am

Hi there, thanks for your speedy reply.

With regards to the certificate i'm going off memory, it has been misplaced recently when I moved house.. eek !

I have found a Thomas Nock on an 1841 census living with brother William and elder brother James. They are living with the Raven family in All Saints, West Bromwich, North East, District 22.. Is it best to look at the surrounding areas on the census returns ie: District 21, 23 etc ?

I'm based in Telford, Shropshire.. Dudley is about 30 minutes away from here. If I were to go there what is the procedure to follow ?

Many thanks

Simon
nocky1972

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:55 am

Hi nocky sending you a pm :wink:

I tend to just look at the info where they are living ie neighbours and perhaps the census pages either side of the entry.
Its amazing what you pick up on the next page or page before etc.

The marriage can be easily looked up at Dudley so if you post under the Look up requests someone may go to Dudley
and can look up that marriage and get the witnesses names.

But if you are at Telford you are as well to look up the bapts yourself as you get more of a feel that way for if it is the correct couple
The marriage stick it on the list-so look up requests then there is a thread called Dudley archives and Sandwell look ups.

Bear in mind re look ups it is only if people are going and if they are able to look info up -so if you need the info quicker
then wise to go yourself.

I don't know if you are aware of a Black Country Connections family tree that my cousin and I set up and quite a few of the members on here are involved in

It is called Black Country Connections and can be seen here.....

http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/

have a look you may find some familiar names

:wink:
Northern Lass

Postby nocky1972 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi ya,

many thanks again for your help.. I may well post a lookup if thats ok with you as with my kids I don't get much time to travel having to keep them occupied ha ha !

I've just had a look at the site you mentioned - Brilliant !!! the best geneology site i've seen !!!

Will keep on looking at the census returns and see what i can come up with

Thanks again

Simon
nocky1972

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:12 pm

okedoke :-)

Be good to get the witnesses would give us somat to work with.
As I say those bapts need to be looked at the later ones certainly
and find them on the census perhaps too.
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:49 pm

nocky do you want that marriage looked up to see who the parents are?

If so post under the Dudley archives look up thread under the Look up requests section.....the boat leaves shortly!

the witnesses may be clues to his sibs!
Northern Lass

Postby nocky1972 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi ya, have posted a lookup request for the marriage of Thomas & Mary Ann Law.

I know i'm being a bit thick here but as I know that Thomas's father was James Nock do I now have to do a lookup for the birth of Thomas to establish his parents names followed by a lookup on their marriage ? Does the parish register give much detail in 1823 when Thomas was born ?

Kind Regards
Simon
nocky1972

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:03 pm

Hi nocky you are unsure you said previously which parents it is for Thomas James and Ann or Hannah.

So the marriage may have witnesses that are sibs for Thomas so that should help tie down James and which lady he married.

The baptism record is up to you but as I said it is better to get the info from the later bapts ie abode and occupation and then go thru any possible sibs and see how they check out re parents info.
You will only get the abode and occup from bapts after I think 1811 cant remember off top of my head

Now not sure when anyone is going to Sandwell where Tipton ones are re the marriage so if you need it sooner might be an idea to go yourself or ask them to send you details not sure of the cost.
if you do get the info please let us know so we dont look it up unecessarily at the archives.

The bapts at St Thomas are at Dudley

hope that helps
Northern Lass

Postby FarSide » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:22 am

Nocky, just trying to get my head around your family, is this them on the 51
Lyne?, West Bromich
Thomas Nocks 27 - Coal miner - b Rowley
Mary Nocks 25
Joseph Nocks 5
Ann Nocks 3
Thomas Nocks 8 Mo
William Brooks 25 - Lodger - Coalminer
Eliza Brooks 23
others b Bromwich
I live in my own little world. But it's ok....they know me here!
FarSide

Postby nocky1972 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi there Farside,
thanks for looking at this for me - Yeah they are my Nock family, I have them listed on my Ancestry.co.uk tree.
The problem I have is finding out who Thomas Nock's mother was so I can pinpoint their marriage and hopefully go further back with the Nock line

Kind Regards
Simon Paul Nock
nocky1972

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:22 pm

rite nocky have looked that bapt/christening up and entered the info here

http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... =995310712

I also you will notice looked up the other child of a James and Ann you flagged a Joseph and they to me have the same parents.

So based on that I would suggest looking up the others at St thomas dudley

Northern Lass

Postby nocky1972 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi there, that's brilliant !

I have all of the line from Thomas Nock and his wife Mary Ann Law back to myself (quite sure I have the correct information). Would you be interested in this info ? If so I will add a post to this forum.

Regards
Simon
nocky1972

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:21 pm

nocky1972 wrote:Hi there, that's brilliant !

I have all of the line from Thomas Nock and his wife Mary Ann Law back to myself (quite sure I have the correct information). Would you be interested in this info ? If so I will add a post to this forum.

Regards
Simon

If you would like the others looked up Simon add them to the look up requests Dudley thread and I will look for you.

As regards your info your research would be very welcome to be added....but better still send me a pm and I will let you know how you can join! then you can add it yourself.
Bet you connect with loads of us!
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 am

Simon just flaggin this to see if we can move it to the archived section
If you need the other bapts looked up then post on look up requests
same with the marriages....
this topic can always be brought back to the boards on request.
or indeed if not finished here and you have more to add then let us know.

So unless otherwise advised this topic will be moved to archived section within 24 hrs
Northern Lass

Next

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics