*Archived * -Jack Judge

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

*Archived * -Jack Judge

Postby ResidentPyjama » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:06 pm

anyone any information about Low Town Oldbury particularly Canal street, my interests are in the names Lockland, Hazelwood, incidentally My great aunt was saved from drowning in the canal by Jack Judge of It's a Long Way to Tipperary fame,
ResidentPyjama

Re: Jack Judge

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi Rp... :grin:

That sounds a great story you got the full info on it so we can add it to the History news section?

We have some members who lived in Oldbury and will know that area really well.
Where are you based?
Cos sandwell archives should have a load of stuff on the Oldbury area.
I have just searched this site

http://www.blackcountryhistory.org.uk/

but the only things coming up for Canal street are some wills
you can do a quick search on this site go to homepage put in "canal street" or "oldbury" and it will search for docs or images which ever you specify
It is info the 4 archives have put in.

:wink:
ps will copy your post to the surnames section
Northern Lass

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:46 pm

Low Town?
I had a school mate who lived in Low Town.This is 1959/60 and i was a member of the Christ Church Oldbury boys choir and after choir practice we'd walk down past Low Town to catch the 233 to go home.It always seemed dark and cold down there.
Later when i was about 16/17 we'd drink in the pub down there "The Malt Shovel"? Or was it "The Oddfellows" on the opposite side of the road?Sometimes we'd go in "The Perrott" opposite Low Town on the corner of Flash Road.Not long after that Low Town was demolished to make way for the Oldbury Ring Road.
There was a pawnbrokers down there as well i remember the sign.Also the River Tame used to trickle through there as a little stream.The things you remember when you think about it!! :lol:
Jack Judge lived there next to the Malt Shovel i believe.
Canal Street was off Halesowen Street and led to Church Square and Christ Church.Our doctors was on Church Square and i'd also go to The Parish Rooms when i was a member of Mrs Booth's Dance School.I went to tap dancing lessons there.
Walking down Canal Street you walk past London Steel Works where my dad worked.I'd stand against the fence watching the white hot steel coming over the rolling beds and watch the men working with their leather aprons and heavy work boots.
I can't recall any houses down there just waste land on the one side and London Works on the other.
I bought "Jack Judge The Tipperary Man" on Blackheath Market last time i was in England and a very good read it is as well.
I knew a Hazlewood at Albrights School 1960/61 he lives in Canada now.Just a thought. :-)
Rob

Postby ResidentPyjama » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks Rob,
ResidentPyjama

Postby ResidentPyjama » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:28 pm

Jack Judge and the Drowning story.

Jack Judge was getting ready to go off to work in April 1904 when he heard shouting from the back of their house from the canal , some ladies had gathered to witness some children who had fallen into the canal whilst playing there, Jack ran down to the scene to be told what had happened.
Seeing the two children (James Lockland and two year old Annie Locklan;his neighbours kids) he jumped straight in and headed for the children Jimmy (as he was called) was sinking fast under the dirty canal water,whilst Annie in her pram was under water, after some splashing he managed to grab Annie who was now out of the pram and he got her to the gathered crowd on the tow path.
There was no sign of Jimmy as he searched below the dark dank waters, he had to come up for a breather before again searching below the polluted waters, at last he saw the boy trapped below his sisters pram at the bottom of the canal bed, with great force the man got the child free and pulled him to the safety of the bank.

When they got Jimmy out he was unconscious and needed the kiss of life again Jack saved the boy.
The Strange thing about this is that one of the Lockland family had in 1876 saved a young Jack Judge from drowning in the same canal in Low town when he had fallen in himself and was drowning (I don't know if this was John Lockland - Jimmy's dad or one of his brothers).
My connection to this is Annie was my great Aunt.
ResidentPyjama

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:39 pm

That is a great story RP thank for putting that on I will add it to our memories book and I wonder if we can add more info on this Jack Judge and place him on the Connections tree

he needs to go in the famous people too......Mally!

If you would like to add your info to our Black Country Connections tree RP pm me and I will take you thru how to do that

So what can we find on Jack Judge dob etc etc
Northern Lass

Postby ResidentPyjama » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:45 pm

My Wife's Cousin David is related to the Carroll's one of whom Jack Married (I believe Jinny was his first wife).
ResidentPyjama

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:53 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Judge

apparently he died 1938 and is buried in Rood End Cemetary

so I will add him to connections

any more info ?
Northern Lass

Postby ResidentPyjama » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:23 pm

He is buried in Rood End Cemetery and the Head stone is still there to see, He also has a memorial tablet in Stalybridge Cheshire in his honour, (this is were they claim the song was written whilst Jack was appearing there---although Oldbury people say it was written in Lowtown that debate goes on)
There was talk by Sandwell Council of a memorial being put up in Jacks honour in Oldbury bus station but all has gone quiet on this now.

some more links bout Jack http://www.stalybridge.org.uk/jack_judge.htm
http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/02/2 ... gend-jack/

There is a Judge Close and Tipperary Walk just Off Canal Street Lowtown, Oldbury already named in his honour.
ResidentPyjama

Postby mallosa » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Northern Lass wrote:
he needs to go in the famous people too......Mally!

We already had Jack in there NL :wink:

RP, I have added your following links too :grin:

http://www.stalybridge.org.uk/jack_judge.htm

There is a Judge Close and Tipperary Walk just Off Canal Street Lowtown, Oldbury already named in his honour.
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:18 pm

It seems Jack was always falling in the cut or getting involved in accidents concerning water!!
He was swimming in Bromford canal locks(where was that?Bromford Lane Oldbury?) when a Bargee,without noticing Jack and his friends,opened the lock!
The water surged into the stretch of water where they were swimming like a tidal wave and only later when the water became calm did they notice that one of their friends was missing!
Jack without a seconds thought plunged into the water to look for his friend.Minutes later Jack emerged with his friend in tow!! Another life saved!! :lol:
Last edited by Rob on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Oh and Manny,Canal Street's not in Low Town!! :roll:
Rob

Postby mallosa » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Northern Lass wrote:That is a great story RP thank for putting that on I will add it to our memories book and I wonder if we can add more info on this Jack Judge and place him on the Connections tree

So what can we find on Jack Judge dob etc etc

could this be him? On Wiki it says : He was Christened John and was originally a fish-monger, and took to the stage after winning a talent contest

1901: 19 Low Town, Oldbury, Worcs

John T Judge 28 H M Fish Dealer Oldbury, Worcs
Jane A Judge 29 Wife Oldbury
John Judge 4 Son Oldbury
Jane A Judge 5 months Dau Oldbury
Harry Priest 13 Nephew S Horse Groom/Attendant Oldbury

Marriage:1895
JUDGE John T CARROLL Jane West Bromwich Register Office Sandwell Register Office WBRO/26/159

1891: 27 Low Town, Oldbury

Mary Judge 38 H Wid Oldbury, Worcs
John Judge 18 Son Iron Worker Oldbury
Jone(Jane)Judge 17 Dau Brickworker Oldbury
Mary Judge 16 Dau Oldbury
Nellie Judge 12 Dau Wolverhampton, Staff
Willm Judge 8 Son Moseley, Warwickshire
Edward Judge 5 Son Oldbury
Magio Judge 4 Dau Oldbury
Annie Judge 1 Dau Oldbury
Thomas MacGuire 36 Lodger S ? Brickworks Oldbury
Annie Macguire 32 Dau S Brickmaker Oldbury
Michael Macguire 25 Son S Brick? Lab Oldbury

1881: 20 Carribee St, Wolverhampton

John Judge 31 H M Warehouseman Ireland
Mary Judge 28 Wife
John T. Judge 8 Son
Jane A. Judge 6 Dau
Mary Judge 5 Dau
Ellen Judge 2 Dau
James M. Judge Son
Patrick Gallager 23 Boarder Iron ? Labourer Ireland
John Gallager 22 Boarder Iron ? Labourer Ireland
John Gallager 21 Boarder Iron ? Labourer Ireland

Birth: 1872
JUDGE John T Oldbury Sandwell Register Office OLD/48/280

Marriage: 1871
JUDGE John MCGUIRE Mary West Bromwich Register Office Sandwell Register Office WBRO/9/53

Birth: 1869
CARROLL Jane A Oldbury Sandwell Register Office OLD/43/288
Last edited by mallosa on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby ResidentPyjama » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:21 pm

According to the book of his life "Jack Judge the Tipperary Man" Jack Married Jinny Carroll at St Francis Xavier's Church in Simpson Street Oldbury June 9th 1895, He was however christened John Judge but called Jack as for Jinny I don't know her actual name it could have been Jane?
ResidentPyjama

Postby ResidentPyjama » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:28 pm

Just found it in the book page 269 , there is a reference to the marriage certificate of John T Judge and Jane Ann Carroll, and on page 266 there is a reference to a nephew of Jinny and Jack called Joseph Priest (maybe a brother to the 1901 census child).
ResidentPyjama

Next

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics