*Archived * Finding deaths

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

*Archived * Finding deaths

Postby danskitt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:29 pm

Can anyone tell me where I can find about deaths? I know by using the freebmd you can get the name and quarter of death, but how do you get enough information to be sure it's who you are looking for?

Dan
danskitt

Re: Finding deaths

Postby linell » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi Dan, you can find the Burial Record in the Church Register, or when ordering the certificate you can specify an age or address, adding that you only want that particular certificate if it corresponds with your requirments. HTH from linell.
linell

Postby danskitt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:25 pm

Is the only way to find it is to go to the records office or can it be done anywhere only as I live quite far away now. Also can you specify if you order from the GRO website or do you need to telephone the order/information through?

Thanks for the reply
Dan
danskitt

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Hi Dan who are you looking for?
What county and name, age etc.

You can either go via the church route as linell says if you know which Church they are likely to be buried at.

Or you can go via the GRO online or by post (think they do it by post) I go online.
Or you can go via a local registry office to where you believe you have found the death registered in.
Some of the local regis offices offer an online facility and they normally check 2yrs either side of the year you believe the person died( but you need to check that as different regis offices might operate differently)

As Linell says you can say that you only want it if the person is aged about 55yrs for eg .

Some of us have access to quite a bit of info so flag the name you are looking for and we might be able to help.

ps with the GRO they will charge £7 but if you specify a check on the ancestor ie I only want it if so and so...they will charge £4 if they then dont find it but you have given a particular GRO ref. So I prefer the local offices.

If it is a Dudley one the wmbsgh website is very good.

:wink:
Northern Lass

Postby danskitt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:40 pm

The reason I ask is because I have at least 25 deaths to find at present and I am only a short way into the reserch, so to order certificates for all of them with many being just guess's and possibly wrong it would get to be very expensive. Also I think it is to much to ask of other members to look for so many.
danskitt

Postby Carol » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi Dan, if you know the location you could check to see if the local parish church has an indexed MI list. These may help to link the departed to a particular family and sometimes mention wife,husband,parents and children etc.
Carol

http://www.southernlurcherrescue.org.uk/

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSSkhCu/]
[/url]
Carol

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:08 am

Ok Dan give us one to run with :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:45 pm

This is to be moved to archived section