PLEASE ARCHIVE - William Thomas Davies

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Re: William Thomas Davies

Postby kdwoodie » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:44 pm

Do you know when William died as I found this

Deaths Sep 1977   (>99%)
DAVIES WILLIAM THOMAS 16 AU 1902 BIRMINGHAM 32 1534
kdwoodie

Postby mallosa » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:15 pm

Yes Kaye, that's the birth cert they sent me but its the wrong one, his father was Roger Davies. My William Thomas according to the 1939 register was born 5/10/1902. It's on freebmd but not on the GRO site. I'm doing this for my neighbour who tells me that the family believe he was born in Wales. He used to sing all the Welsh songs. So the one that you found (born Pontypridd) with ref 11a 634 looks like the only one that fits. He died 23/10/1963 Birmingham. Thanks for your help!
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby kdwoodie » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:18 pm

My Grandmother was a Davies from Wales , I don't envy you. They are a nightmare.
kdwoodie

Postby kdwoodie » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:25 pm

Just a thought would GRO search with year and fathers name
kdwoodie

Postby mallosa » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:07 pm

That's exactly what I'm gonna do tomorrow morning Kaye. I have been trying to get through for the last couple of days with no joy.
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby grangers14 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:27 pm

It will be interesting to see how you get on. I looked on local Ponypridd but couldn't see it there either? It's odd that FreeBMD have a record! And you can actually see the image!
grangers14

Postby mallosa » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:01 pm

It sure is a mystery!

mallosa

Postby grangers14 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:56 pm

Do you want this archiving Mally until you have heard more?
grangers14

Postby mallosa » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:44 am

grangers14 wrote:It will be interesting to see how you get on. I looked on local Ponypridd but couldn't see it there either? It's odd that FreeBMD have a record! And you can actually see the image!

I've filled in a 'report' on GRO, it's going to be investigated. So watch this space, it says it takes about 1 week

mallosa

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:20 pm

Recommend Local Register ?

Obtaining a certificate from a local Register Office
You need to find the Register Office that is relevant to the birth, marriage or death you are interested in. This can be found here where you can look up the registration district which then has a link (Registers now in...) to details of the local Register Office.
In order to obtain the actual certificate it is best to ring the office and find out what their process is for ordering certificates, as it does vary from office to office.

Note that the GRO reference, in particular the volume and page number, is not relevant to ordering from a local office. This can be seen as a benefit as it means that possible errors in the GRO reference do not impact getting a certificate, offsetting the extra effort in finding the right office.

A registrar in a local Register Office has advised "GRO will provide you with a photocopy of the actual entry but if you apply to the relevant register office in most cases you will receive a handwritten copy. This is useful if the original is difficult to read. The registration staff have had basic training in deciphering the writing and will also have access to many more records written by the same person and so can compare."
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby mallosa » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:45 pm

Thanks for that RF, that's very helpful!

I think it's probably best to ring Pontypridd General Register Office to start with, they may be able to help :wink:

mallosa

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:55 pm

I must congratulate your determination :clap: A true grit genealogist :grin:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby mallosa » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:22 am

Ah! That's nice :grin:

It's not even my family, it's for my neighbour :lol:

mallosa

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:14 am

True Grit Mally! :P
Northern Lass

Postby kdwoodie » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:47 pm

Don't know if this will help Done a search
https://www.rctcbc.gov.uk/EN/Resident/B ... Id=&Page=1
kdwoodie

PreviousNext

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics