"Complete"Unusual Entry on Census

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

"Complete"Unusual Entry on Census

Postby mumbles » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:12 am

1851 Census Angel St Oldswinford Stourbridge Worcs.
Charles Moreton Head 60 Lodging House Keeper born Bromsgrove Worcs.
Elizabeth Moreton wife 60
John Moreton son 26 Ag. Labourer
Job Moreton son 24 Ag. Labourer
Ellen Moreton dau 22
Charles Moreton son 21 Ag. Labourer
George Moreton son 20
John Stockhall lodger 38 Ag. Labourer
John Jones lodger 37 House Painter
Man N.K. 34 ? born N.K.
Woman N.K. 26 ? born not N.K.
These were two tramps no further information
Rest born Stourbridge Worcestershire

Surprised recorded as tramps and no details as I thought it was a legal requirement to fill details
Last edited by mumbles on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mumbles

Re: Unusual Entry on Census

Postby grangers14 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:49 pm

I have looked at the entry...if the enumerator could only get that info then I can not see what more he could do?
Many have unknown as birth place. Seems odd as tramps living in a lodging house? :?
grangers14

Postby rockyfowler » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:20 am

The census were all destroyed up to 1911 when the house holder filled it in so the info is very much second hand copied from the originals so caution is needed when looking at these copies the copier may have called the poor people tramps :cry: :roll:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby gardener » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:32 pm

grangers14 wrote:I have looked at the entry...if the enumerator could only get that info then I can not see what more he could do?
Many have unknown as birth place. Seems odd as tramps living in a lodging house? :?

It doesn't seem particularly odd to me. They could have been allowed to bed down in an outhouse or something. We can't tell. The forms were delivered ahead of census night and then collected a few days later. I imagine that many were completed the morning after census night, and by then the tramps may have moved on. And of course some forms were not completed until the enumerator turned up and asked for them.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby rockyfowler » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:36 pm

The enumerator copies do not exist they were burnt :wink:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:36 pm

Where's it say that Rockyfowler? I believe the Census records for 1851 in Ireland were destroyed but i can find no mention of the UK.
Rob

Postby rockyfowler » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:51 pm

The census were collected and copied on to what you see today and the originals were destroyed up to the 1911 when like modern census are filled in by the occupants so are the original census
rockyfowler

Postby grangers14 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:55 pm

gardener wrote:
grangers14 wrote:I have looked at the entry...if the enumerator could only get that info then I can not see what more he could do?

It doesn't seem particularly odd to me. They could have been allowed to bed down in an outhouse or something. We can't tell. The forms were delivered ahead of census night and then collected a few days later. I imagine that many were completed the morning after census night, and by then the tramps may have moved on. And of course some forms were not completed until the enumerator turned up and asked for them.

What I thought odd was added as "lodgers" ? Like people staying there? Not just as people there, some entries you see sleeping in a shed or something like that.
grangers14

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics