Arc tbc....James Barker and Elizabeth Barker and relatives

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Arc tbc....James Barker and Elizabeth Barker and relatives

Postby Jayneh » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:17 pm

Starting an new thread for James Barker and Elizabeth Barker, possible children (in addition to James and William mentioned on the Florence Margaret Barker thread) and other possible relatives of their generation and older

Here is the transcript for their marriage - note that both their fathers were Barkers and were shoe makers. I'm thinking they might be cousins
30th October 1837. Oldswinford, Worcester
James Baker full age, bachelor, labourer, Coalbourn Brook, father James Barker Shoe Marker, married Elizabeth Barker, full age, spinster, servant, Coalbourn Brook, father John Barker shoe maker. Wit George & Harriet Barker.

West Midlands Marriage indexes for the years: 1837
BARKER James BARKER Elizabeth Oldswinford, St Mary Dudley Register Office 003/001/33

Jayne
Jayneh

Re: James Barker and Elizabeth Barker and relatives

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:22 am

Which one on Bcc is this can someone put the link on?
as this one
https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... i=78306538

looks a candidate will add in marriage as possible

was anything else needed on this thread or is info duplicated elsewhere
Northern Lass

Postby Jayneh » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi, yes thanks, that's the link to the James Barker and Elizabeth Barker whose marriage details I provided.

I'm planning to add information to this thread about where I believe they came from in Shropshire and their relatives, some of whom also came to the Kingswinford/ Dudley area, but sorry I got side tracked.
Hopefully, I'll get back onto it next week if not before.
Jayne
Also just thinking out loud - I'm still wondering why there were at least 3 Amos descents in their family but I can't find any Amos in James and Elizabeth generations in the family, so who were the Amos named after? Perhaps Thomas in the family? Or should I not get hung up on the naming pattern?
Jayneh

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:36 am

Added to Bcc the marriage info...can someone post Gro info on kids pls so I can add in
marriage as certain.
Northern Lass

Postby Jayneh » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:31 am

Thank you for adding the marriage certificate details for James and Elizabeth Barker.

Their children James and William - unfortunately I can't find a birth entry on GRO for William BARKER bn 1840, nor James listed as 1 year old on the 1841 census. Perhaps the parents didn't register them.

I ordered birth certificates for the following GRO entries for William Barkers born 1840+/- 2 years in the Dudley Union or Stourbridge union RD and none had a father called James BARKER (On Williams marriage certificate I emailed, James BARKER is mentioned as the father, Sarah Ann BAKER the bride):

1) GRO Reference: 1840 J Quarter in DUDLEY UNION Volume 18 Page 330, mother's maiden name GUEST
The birth certificate for this William born 10 Apr 1840 shows a father named Joseph Barker, Miner, Mother Sarah Barker formerly Guest resident at Puppy Green, Tipton
This William Barker and his parents Joseph and Sarah are on BCC site so you can add these these details to him (let me know if you would like image of his birth certificate).

2) GRO Reference: 1841 J Quarter in STOURBRIDGE UNION Volume 18 Page 466, mother's maiden name ATTWOOD
The birth certificate for this William born 3 May 1841 shows a father named Zachariah Barker Miner, with mother Hannah Barker formerly Attwood resident at Commonside, Kingswinford district

So I've dismissed these as my William Barker.

I think the William BARKER GRO Reference: 1838 S Quarter in CLEOBURY MORTIMER Volume 18 Page 36, mothers maiden name BLOUT, is the cousin of my William and the son of Thomas BARKER, the uncle and blacksmith who my William was living with on the 1861 census on Kingswinford High str

However, GRO had an entry for a BARKER boy born S QTR 1838 with no name (Volume 18 Page 431, Stourbridge), mother maiden name Barker, I ordered the birth certificate and he was born 16 Sep 1838 to a James Barker and Elizabeth Barker on Brettell Lane - the names on the 1841 census. This could be James (I emailed this certificate to RR on 31st Oct).

From FreeReg, burial which is already on BCC
James Barker buried 6 May 1842 age 3 of Brettell Lane at Holly Trinity Wordsley

As for other possible children of James and Elizabeth, these children who died could be theirs but I haven't got birth certificates for them, so not sure.
The GRO entries state mother BARKER (rather than '-', so I'm assuming father and mother both BARKER rather an illegitimate BARKER):

BARKER, SARAH 1844 J Quarter in STOURBRIDGE UNION Volume 18 Page 447, mother BARKER
BARKER, GEORGE 1844 J Quarter in STOURBRIDGE UNION Volume 18 Page 447, mother BARKER
BARKER, JANE 1845 M Quarter in STOURBRIDGE UNION Volume 18 Page 469, mother BARKER
BARKER, MARY 1849 J Quarter in STOURBRIDGE UNION Volume 18 Page 529, mother BARKER

on FreeReg found Burials
Sarah Barker buried 3 Apr 1844 infant of Brettel Lane at Holly Trinity Wordsley, died 1 Apr
George Barker buried 3 Apr 1844 infant of Brettel Lane at Holly Trinity Wordsley, died 1 Apr
Jane Barker buried 2 Mar 1845 infant of Brettel Lane at Holly Trinity Wordsley, died 1 Mar
Mary Barker buried 24 May 1849 infant of Brettel Lane at Holly Trinity Wordsley
Jayneh

Postby Jayneh » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:39 am

on Freereg I also found Baptisms for the last 2, but not for the twins Sarah and George - perhaps they died before being baptised.
Jane Barker bap 27 Feb 1845 at St Michael Brierley Hill to James and Elizabeth Barker Brettell Lane, Miner
Mary Barker bn and bap 21 May 1849 at St Michael Brierley Hill to James and Elizabeth Barker Brettell Lane, Miner

Looks like James and Elizabeth had a bad 10/11 years trying to have children. I'm thinking it might be because they were possibly cousins, as well as because of the living conditions at the time.
Jayne
Jayneh

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:33 am

That looks good info Jayneh :wink:

so have added marriage
and will add some notes.

if all done on this thread I will move to arc.
Northern Lass

Re: Arc tbc....James Barker and Elizabeth Barker and relativ

Postby Jayneh » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi, great, thanks for adding the info about their children who died as infants.
I believe I have found the baptism details for James Barker baptised 07 Aug 1808 Neen Savage,Shropshire,England, father James Barker, mother Sarah.
And for his siblings one of which is Thomas Barker who I believe was the Blacksmith who William Barker bn1840 lived with in 1861 on Brierley Hill high street - Thomas Barker baptised 03 Oct 1813 Ditton Priors, Shropshire, England, father James Barker, mother Sarah.
Another sibling I believe is Jesse Barker baptised on 03 Nov 1819 Ditton Priors, Shropshire, England, father James Barker, mother Sarah. I believe in 1861 this Jesse was running the pub next door to his brother Thomas Barker the blacksmith on Brierley Hill high street.

James’ wife Elizabeth Barker baptism details 08 Apr 1810 Stoke Saint Milborough,Shropshire,England, father John Barker, mother Elizabeth.
And I think this is her brother John Barker baptised 08 Jan 1797 Stoke Saint Milborough,Shropshire,England, father John Barker, mother Elizabeth who was lodging with James and Elizabeth in 1851.

The 1851 census info is already on BCC for James Barker bn 1808 and the 1861 details are on BCC for William Barker bn 1840. I can repeat this info but just on my iPad during the weekend, so it’s taking me a bit longer to add the info.
Although I have found baptisms for other siblings of James and Elizabeth, I haven’t worked out whether they also came to live in the Brierley area.

You are welcome to add to this info to the BCC tree if you have time, or leave it for now until I’ve worked further on the families.
Jayneh

Re: Arc tbc....James Barker and Elizabeth Barker and relativ

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:50 am

Added in notes most of that...

Best to start a new thread with a new query and person so it keeps it simple
so I will for the moment archive this
Northern Lass

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics