PLEASE ARCHIVE - Billingham/Ellis? Help needed

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

PLEASE ARCHIVE - Billingham/Ellis? Help needed

Postby mallosa » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:34 am

Copied over from Gideon Nelson Billingham Cradley Heath post cos it's getting too confusing :?

kdwoodie wrote:1911 Census
Name: Nelson Billingham
Age in 1911: 10
Estimated birth year: abt 1901
Relation to Head: Adopted
Birth Place: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish: Aston
County/Island: Warwickshire
Street address: 47 Miller St Bham
Registration district: Aston
Registration District Number: 385
Sub-registration district: Duddeston
ED, institution, or vessel: 18
Piece: 18248
Household Members:
Name Age
Betsy Foxley 68
Fredrick James Foxley 27
May C C Bashford 18
Nelson Billingham 10

Betsy Foxley is Charlotte Potters Mother who was supposed to have adopted George Nelson Ellis

1st Marriage
Name: George N Billingham
Registration Date: Oct 1919
[Nov 1919]
[Dec 1919]
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district: Aston
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Spouse: Violet Porter
Volume Number: 6d
Page Number: 1209

2nd Marriage
Name: George N Ellis
Registration Date: Jan 1948
[Feb 1948]
[Mar 1948]
Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration district: Birmingham
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Spouse: Florence E Meredith
Volume Number: 9c
Page Number: 326

From a tree on Ancestry his Marriage cert to Violet says father Nelson George Billingham Deceased Chain Maker. It gives his address as 47 Miller Street There is an image of the marriage cert but don't know if i am allowed to post on here

from marr cert...

https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... =222547994
Last edited by mallosa on Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Re: Billingham/Ellis?

Postby mallosa » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:46 am

This is where I've got to

https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... =912976133

...as you can see in 1901 census Bessie/Betsy says she is a widow but I've found her hubby William didn't die until 1911.

Betsy Foxley is Charlotte Potters Mother who was supposed to have adopted George Nelson Ellis

Where does ELLIS come into it?
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Re: Billingham/Ellis? Help needed

Postby kdwoodie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:29 am

I don't understand why Bessie says Widow on 1901

George Nelson Ellis Billingham was the adopted son of Charlotte Foxley and Albert Potter. His mother was supposed to be Edith May Ellis according to this

by mallosa » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:27 pm

billingham, I think It's worth looking at the message board on Ancestry

Here - https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surname ... ashx?pnt=1

Did you get the image of the Marriage cert, there was a declaration by Charlotte Elizabeth Potter in the right margin

ELLIS, GEORGE NELSON -
GRO Reference: 1902 M Quarter in ASTON Volume 06D Page 295
kdwoodie

Postby billingham » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:46 pm

Thanks for your feedback.
My grandfather George Nelson Ellis born 21/11/1901 reg 1902 Aston illegitimate son of Gideon Nelson Billingham and Edith May Ellis but only his mother's name is on b.cert. By 1911 Census, Edith May Ellis is not around (my grandad had no memory of her or Gideon N) someone, knowing that Gideon Nelson Billingham was George's father, and having been 'adopted' by the Folxleys at some stage, has had George's name recorded as Nelson Billingham. He used this name through WW1/1st marriage/ birth registration of first 3 sons until 1933/34 when he had the certificates legally annotated to show his legal registered birth name of George Nelson Ellis.
We've had our DNA results matched and we are absolutely descended from Gideon Nelson Billingham (along with Edith May Ellis and her father George). Gideon Nelson is not the Gideon (no Nelson) who married Amy Smith/Wellings who went to Warrington where he died - his father was William. He is not Nelson Billingham who died in 1951 - he was b.1895, was a grocer.
We have tried all kinds of permutations to find 1911 Census - he ceased his partnership with Thomas Grice in 1902...after that, no records for him anywhere, doing anything!

It's been an interesting journey for us using our DNA expert, especially as a result of the work, we find we have a new 1st half cousin as grandad George had an illegitimate son in 18930, that no one knew anything about!! But we still don't know where Gideon N and Edith May went to after 1901....
billingham

Postby mallosa » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:16 am

Did you get the image of the Marriage cert, there was a declaration by Charlotte Elizabeth Potter in the right margin

Sorry kdwoodie, I missed that!

It says....

In entry 188 col 2 for George Nelson Billingham, read George Nelson Ellis otherwise George Nelson Billingham and column 3 for "21" (mans age) read "17"
Corrected on the 5th May 1933 by me L E Hadfield Registrar in the presence of G N Ellis and V Ellis (parties married)
A Statutory Declaration as to the facts having been made by Charlotte Elizabeth Potter

mallosa

Postby mallosa » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:29 am

I think that's it - https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... =212283583

Can be archived please

mallosa

Re: PLEASE ARCHIVE - Billingham/Ellis? Help needed

Postby grangers14 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:40 am

Before this is archived would you please check that no living persons are on the tree and include dates of deaths for any born after 1920. :)
grangers14

Re: PLEASE ARCHIVE - Billingham/Ellis? Help needed

Postby mallosa » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:58 am

Yes Jo, I think I got carried away there and forgot about the rules! I'll sort it later ok?

mallosa

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics