Gideon Nelson Billingham Cradley Heath

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Re: Gideon Nelson Billingham Cradley Heath

Postby kdwoodie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:33 pm

1911 Census
Name: Nelson Billingham
Age in 1911: 10
Estimated birth year: abt 1901
Relation to Head: Adopted
Birth Place: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish: Aston
County/Island: Warwickshire
Street address: 47 Miller St Bham
Registration district: Aston
Registration District Number: 385
Sub-registration district: Duddeston
ED, institution, or vessel: 18
Piece: 18248
Household Members:
Name Age
Betsy Foxley 68
Fredrick James Foxley 27
May C C Bashford 18
Nelson Billingham 10

Betsy Foxley is Charlotte Potters Mother who was supposed to have adopted George Nelson Ellis

1st Marriage
Name: George N Billingham
Registration Date: Oct 1919
[Nov 1919]
[Dec 1919]
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district: Aston
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Spouse: Violet Porter
Volume Number: 6d
Page Number: 1209

2nd Marriage
Name: George N Ellis
Registration Date: Jan 1948
[Feb 1948]
[Mar 1948]
Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration district: Birmingham
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Spouse: Florence E Meredith
Volume Number: 9c
Page Number: 326

From a tree on Ancestry his Marriage cert to Violet says father Nelson George Billingham Deceased Chain Maker. It gives his address as 47 Miller Street There is an image of the marriage cert but don't know if i am allowed to post on here
kdwoodie

Postby mallosa » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Nice one kdwoodie :thumbup:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby mallosa » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:16 pm

1901 Census: 47 Miller Street, Duddeston, Aston
(says FOXEY)
Betsy Toxey 55 Head Wid
Clara E Bashford 33 Dau Wid
Arthur J Forey 25 Son S Bricklayer
Gertrude Forey 21 Dau S Laquerer
Frederick J Forey 17 Son Plumber
Leah Bayliss 19 Boarder S Laquerer

and a couple of doors away we have her married daughter Charlotte....
43 Miller Street
(says POTTER)
Alfred J Patter 26 Electro Plater
Charlotte Patter 27
(both born Birmingham)

NOTE: Miller Street runs into Shefford Road
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby mallosa » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:08 am

I haven't connected anything up yet, still trying to get my head around it all....

https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... =671964903

https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... i=62819053

mallosa

Postby mallosa » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:35 am

Started a new thread, see Billingham/Ellis? post

mallosa

Postby billingham » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks everyone for trying to help -
Anything you see on Ancestry for Ellis Porter is mine as George Nelson Ellis is my grandad, the illegitimate son of Gideon Nelson Billingham and Edith May Ellis b.21/11/1901 reg Q1 Aston 1902 at 9 Miller Street. His birth cert only refers to his mother Edith May. At some stage between birth & 18911, Edith May has left her son with the Foxley family at 47 Miller Street, and his name is being recorded as Nelson Billingham, suggesting that someone knew this story about Gideon Nelson being his father. He used this name through service in WW1, his marriage and the reg. of his first 3 sons (my dad being one). In 1933/34, he had the certificates annotated legally to revert back to his legally registered birth name of Ellis.
Gideon Nelson Billingham, son of Gideon, grandson of Jeremiah, all chain manufacturers in Cradley Heath. Father Gideon died 1899 (I'm awaiting a copy of his will), presumably leaving the business to son Gideon Nelson - the will confirm or deny. At some stage, Gideon N is in partnership with Thomas Grice, but which ceased (notice in London Gazette) in 1902.
There are umpteen Gideon Billinghams, chain manufacturers in Kellys etc, living at various addresses (further complicated by the fact that they're often shown as Mrs G. Billingham) - they are not Gideon Nelson. Gideon who married Amy Wellings/Smith and went to Warrington, is not mine either - this one's father is William. The one who is shown as nelson Billingham d.1951 and in various directories was born in 1895 and was a grocer. We can find no links after 1902. We have every cert you could think of, tracked every similar name - nothing. And as I've said, frustratingly, there is no trace of Edith May Ellis either, in any respect. I've been to Worcester Library and Dudley Archives - found a few docs relating to Jeremiah b.1789 and Gideon b.1822 which were very interesting and gave a good indication of how well off they were.

We have grown up with grandad telling us this story - my dad remembers being called Billingham one day and then going to school as Ellis on the next! - never really knowing if it was the truth. My cousin and 1 had had our DNA tests done by Ancestry and so we recently enlisted the expertise of a professional DNA 'detective'. She has matched us irrefutably with both the Gideon Nelson family and Edith May Ellis family; plus, into the bargain, having been shown a match on Ancestry for a close cousin, we find our grandad had fathered an illegitimate son in 1930 (no one knew!). When we saw the son's photo sent to us by his daughter...we didn't need a dna test to prove the link - he's a carbon copy of all the brothers and sister (his half siblings)! We have met our new half 1st cousin - what a gift!
If anyone does come across anything, we'd obviously be grateful to hear about it. Thank you all again for taking so much time in digging into the records. :grin:
billingham

Postby grangers14 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:29 pm

From find a will
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Ca ... 2#calendar

Billingham Gideon of Cradley Heath Staffordshire died 29 January 1899 Probate Lichfield 16 March to Kate Billingham widow and Thomas Grice fitter and turner Effects £3226 8s 10d
grangers14

Postby grangers14 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:03 pm

Sorry I didn't notice that on BCC :roll:
grangers14

Postby mallosa » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:11 am

No probs Jo :wink:

billingham, I've added what I can to BCC, would you please have a look & let me know if anything needs changing?

https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... =212743701

mallosa

Postby mallosa » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:56 am

Well,I've carried on where Sparkstopper left off :grin:

Think of you often Sparks! KRO :(

mallosa

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:45 am

Jo if those amendments have been done re dates of death over 1920 and NO living peeps
Can this be archived
Sorry not following topic
Northern Lass

Postby mallosa » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:26 am

I'm on to it Jan, gotta sort a couple of things. Will do this evening

mallosa

Postby mallosa » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:06 pm

All sorted, please archive :wink:

If that's ok with you Billingham? :oops:

mallosa

Previous

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics