Who is his father?

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Who is his father?

Postby Silver surfer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi folks. I have the marriage record of Edward Foley to Rebecca Cooksey at St Thomas' Dudley 26 April 1779, witnesses John Cooksey and Mark Bond clerk, but it doesn't give a fathers name. I have his parents as Edward and Betty Foley, but someone has emailed with their tree showing his father to be Philip (1709) son of Paul Foley MP (1684-1739) and Elizabeth, he being the son of another Philip MP (1648-1716). If this is true it is the Foleys of Witley Court, who I have been trying to find a connection with since I first started researching 20yrs ago. This older Philip married Hon. Penelope Paget who descends from the sister of Anne Boleyn, so you can see why I want to prove or disprove it.

Where do I start? I suppose if there is a will from Philip 1709 (don't know when he died) leaving monies to a named son (namely Edward) that would be a help. Would Ancestry have that record and could someone have a look for me please? There may be a knighthood in it for you :lol:
Researching Foley, Burley, Dean, Danks, Smith, Pugh, Hughes, Shakespeare.
Silver surfer

Re: Who is his father?

Postby sp1 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:55 am

According to this site that Edward Foley (son of Philip) married an Elizabeth:

http://www.thepeerage.com/p47054.htm#i470531
sp1

Postby Silver surfer » Sun May 05, 2019 10:36 pm

Oh well, it was a good feeling while it lasted :wink: Didn't think it would prove to be, just shows you need to check other people's research. Twas put on my Heritage.
However Betty is another name for Elizabeth isn't it but Edwards birth year is different.
Silver surfer

Postby sp1 » Mon May 06, 2019 6:37 am

It might still be worth checking to see if there is a will for Philip Foley just to double check.
However by that time this branch of family had long moved away from Dudley (going first to Old Swinford - before the involvement with Witley Court).
There might still be a line back to Richard Foleys family though as earlier branches possibly left descendants in the Dudley area: I have a tenuous connection to him as a very distant uncle (as I recall) married his sister.
Last edited by sp1 on Sat May 11, 2019 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
sp1

Postby Silver surfer » Fri May 10, 2019 6:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Most of my later Foleys ie. 19th century ones lived in Cradley Heath for the most part.
Silver surfer

Postby Northern Lass » Sat May 11, 2019 8:02 am

Is this completed if not can move to brickwalls
Northern Lass

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics