*Arc * -Bowater connections

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

*Arc * -Bowater connections

Postby Pateason » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:50 am

Hi all :P

So here is my connection to the Bowater family of Clent and more accurately the family of William and Charlotte Bowater nee Rutter. As the will mentions several brothers came to New Zealand and Joseph Bowater was one of them.

He was born on 26 January 1841 in Cabbage Hall Dudley, he and his brothers came to New Zealand in the 1860 aboard the Coleroon. While aboard the ship he met Mary Ann Hills daughter of Charles and Harriate Hills nee Jenkins from Guernsey and after arriving in Wellington were married on 13 April 1867.

He worked as a carpenter/joiner and they had 7 children, their daughter Annie Deibitah Bowater was born on 01 August 1869.

Annie Bowater married Andreas Hans Thompson son of William Thompson (Wilhelm Tomasen) and Catherine Thompson nee Yorston 05 August 1890. Joseph had died in Wellington on 07 January 1883.

Andreas and Annie had 5 children, one whom was Robert Yorston Thompson who was born on 01 October 1897, he would marry Frances May Edkins on 07 April 1917 daughter of Sydney James Edkins from Birmingham and Emily Maude Edkins nee Cook from Johannesburg.
Robert and Frances were my Great grandparents, there are a few second marriages and generations if anyone is interested, also any on researching these lines should consider getting access to "Bowaters to the Antipodies" by Louise Bowater.
Darren Russell
NZSG No 23112
Pateason

Re: Bowater connections

Postby linell » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi Pateason, I only have a couple of Bowater families, William born about 1854 RR Married Ann M Pearson, they had two daughters Eliza born 1887 and Lucy 1892. Also have an Elizabeth born about 1785 RR, her parents were John and Sarah. By the way I thought Cabbage Hall was in Lye not Dudley :?: Linell.
linell

Postby peterd » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:57 pm

i thought i put this link on ?

bcc William and Charlotte Bowater nee Rutter

http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... =124949797
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby peterd » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:59 pm

1881 Clent, Worcester, England

William BOWATER 79 Bellbroughton Farm Labr
Charlote BOWATER 76 Bellbroughton
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

peterd

Postby peterd » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:04 pm

all extracted

HARRIOT BOWATER
Birth: 31 MAR 1826 Holy Cross Baptist, Clent, Stafford,

Father: WILLIAM BOWATER
Mother: CHARLOTTE

siblings

PHILLIP BOWATER
Birth: 05 SEP 1834 Holy Cross Baptist, Clent, Stafford,

GEORGE BOWATER
Birth: 22 MAR 1831 Holy Cross Baptist, Clent, Stafford,

HENRY BOWATER
Birth: 18 MAY 1836 Holy Cross Baptist, Clent, Stafford,

WILLIAM BOWATER
Birth: 08 MAY 1832 Holy Cross Baptist, Clent, Stafford,

JAMES BOWATER
Birth: 23 MAY 1827 Holy Cross Baptist, Clent, Stafford,

peterd

Postby peterd » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:09 pm

added to bcc

http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... =954581216

anyone find any more census please

peterd

Postby Pateason » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:56 am

:P Hi all and thanks

The Cabbage Hall birthplace is taken directly off Joseph's birth certificate, I wasn't sure if it was a place name or a street name. I also seem to remember coming accross mention of a Cabbage Hall mine in Dudley, but am not totally sure on that.

I appreciate the links to bcc and might be able to help those lines a little more,

1 Another brother and his wife arrived in New Zealand although I have little information on him he seems to be Charles Bowater.

2. William Bowater's parents I believe to be Richard and Martha Bowater and he was baptised in St John's Church, Halesowen on 31 December 1802. Richard was born to Richard Hill
and Typhena Bowater on 9 July 1775 and was a baker, he died on 12 July 1863 in Clent, William being present, Martha had died in 1855.

I'll try to keep these short so here is a few more pieces of information for those seeking some information, but a point of interest about this family tree is somewhere along the line the name Bowater comes from a maternal line and it is the husband who takes the name Bowater, Richard Hill in about 1777
More late

Darren
Darren Russell
NZSG No 23112
Pateason

Postby linell » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:36 am

Darren wrote < but a point of interest about this family tree is somewhere along the line the name Bowater comes from a maternal line and it is the husband who takes the name Bowater, Richard Hill in about 1777>

That's fascinating Darren. I have come to realise that our Ancestors could call themselves what they liked. My friend has an Ancestor who changed his name from one Census to the next depending on who he was living with at the time :!: Linell.
linell

Postby Pateason » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:10 am

:lol:

Linell know what you mean, I believe this came about as the Richard Bowater who was born to Thyphena and was the father of William Bowater, was baptised in 1775, yet his parents Richard Hill and Typhena Bowater married in 1777, this may answer that question.

Also have an ancestor who has arrived in New Zealand with his "wife" and daughters, married another woman as a "batchelor", while his first "wife" married again in 1917 claiming to be a widow in 1915...husband died in 1932 married to a third woman :? , his name being Sidney Alfred....., Sidney James..... or Sidney James Alfred......, oh and did I mention also a naval deserter to boot.

My ancestors didn't need Neighbours, Home and away or Coronation Street they had their own little soap operas :lol:

Lastly one more question seem to have a place name simillar to Wombourne, Staffordshire becoming prominant in the Bowaters is this in the area covered by Black Country Forum

Thanks as always
Darren Russell
NZSG No 23112
Pateason

Postby linell » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:58 am

Hi Darren yes any BC Connections whether they start there or finish there are welcome in the BC Tree. Best Wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby linell » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:11 am

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1456

This link is from our Local History section, if you scroll down to 'Lye's First Wesleyan Chapel,' there is quite a bit in there about Mr and Mrs Bowater from Cradley, think he was James Bowater. Linell.
linell

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:51 am

Pateason wrote:.....Lastly one more question seem to have a place name simillar to Wombourne, Staffordshire becoming prominant in the Bowaters is this in the area covered by Black Country Forum

Thanks as always

Hi Darren

Wombourne is just near Wolverhampton nice little place...probably classed as just outside of the Black country area
but we have a bit of a rubber boundary and will stretch it a little
So that is fine add them.

and yes post in here that is fine too!

As Linell says as long as one of your ancestors or descendants is from the BC area then wherever his/her line weaves
can be added.
:wink:
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:34 am

peterd wrote:all extracted

HARRIOT BOWATER
Birth: 31 MAR 1826 Holy Cross Baptist, Clent, Stafford,

Father: WILLIAM BOWATER
Mother: CHARLOTTE

siblings

PHILLIP BOWATER
Birth: 05 SEP 1834 Holy Cross Baptist, Clent, Stafford,

GEORGE BOWATER
Birth: 22 MAR 1831 Holy Cross Baptist, Clent, Stafford,

HENRY BOWATER
Birth: 18 MAY 1836 Holy Cross Baptist, Clent, Stafford,

WILLIAM BOWATER
Birth: 08 MAY 1832 Holy Cross Baptist, Clent, Stafford,

JAMES BOWATER
Birth: 23 MAY 1827 Holy Cross Baptist, Clent, Stafford,

I have to add Darrens info to connections re his 4 ancestors he has posted on another thread.

But if any of this connects to BCC and can be added please do as flagging now to archive this and shame to lose info

:wink:
Northern Lass

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics