No Death Record

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

No Death Record

Postby Dig » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:44 am

Hi all,

I am unable to find a death record for Emanuel Roberts, born about 1833 in Netherton, Dudley. His last appearance is in the 1881 census where he is living at 76 Northfield Road, Netherton. In the 1891 census, his wife Sarah is listed as a widow.

Any help with this will be appreciated.
If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree.
Dig

Re: No Death Record

Postby BC Wench » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Moved from Brick Walls section to see if we can get more help.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Jimmy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:49 am

I wonder if it this could be one, a bit of a mix up between is age and address.(76) Northfield Road, Netherton. There isn't another to fit this one.

ROBERTS, EMMANUEL 76.
GRO Reference: 1884 S Quarter in DUDLEY Volume 06C Page 54.

Dudley.
Burial date 06 Jul 1884.
Emmanuel ROBERTS. 76. Netherton.
Transcribed by Christine Pritchard.
File line number 2802.
Jimmy

Postby Dig » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Jimmy wrote:I wonder if it this could be one, a bit of a mix up between is age and address.(76) Northfield Road, Netherton. There isn't another to fit this one.

ROBERTS, EMMANUEL 76.
GRO Reference: 1884 S Quarter in DUDLEY Volume 06C Page 54.

Dudley.
Burial date 06 Jul 1884.
Emmanuel ROBERTS. 76. Netherton.
Transcribed by Christine Pritchard.
File line number 2802.

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for drawing my attention to this! I never considered that this could be an error.

Where did you find this transcript? Is it very likely he did not have a death certificate? Would you advise me to order this death certificate or look for a burial record at Dudley archives?
If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree.
Dig

Postby Jimmy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:01 pm

The burial date is what I have posted, 6 July 1884 died at Netherton, to be sure it is the right one to comfirm it.
I have also put the Gro register entry which you can use to order the record.
Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:02 pm

The burial record was from FreeReg. That is the burial record.
Jimmy

Postby Dig » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Jimmy wrote:The burial date is what I have posted, 6 July 1884 died at Netherton, to be sure it is the right one to comfirm it.
I have also put the Gro register entry which you can use to order the record.

Is it very likely they would use his house number as his age on both the death certificate and the burial record?
Dig

Postby Jimmy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Its a possibility.
Jimmy

Postby Dig » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Jimmy wrote:Its a possibility.

I think it is likely to be correct because this family had strong links to St Andrews church over many years. What is the best way of confirming that these are the correct records if they contain errors?
Dig

Postby BC Wench » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Can I jump in here please.

The burial transcription from FreeREG (St Andrew's Church) was originally done by The Friends of Dudley Archives & Local History Service which I was involved in. Where it mentions the "Abode" if it just says Netherton in the parish register, that's what would have been transcribed, if an actual address was stated, that address would have been transcribed.

Is this the baptism of the Emmanuel who you are looking for from FreeREG?

Baptism: 18 May 1834 St Thomas, Dudley
Emanuel - Parents: Thomas & Sarah Roberts - Abode: Netherton - Father's occ: Miner

Both the GRO Death Index and the burial from FreeREG which jimmy has found, give Emmanuel's age as 76, which is way out, but would family members have known when he was born as he wouldn't have had a birth certificate because they weren't introduced until 1st July 1837.

Personally, I would order the death certificate as this would give the address of where he died, age, occupation, cause of death and also the name of an informant of the death.
BC Wench

Postby Dig » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:35 pm

BC Wench wrote:Can I jump in here please.

The burial transcription from FreeREG (St Andrew's Church) was originally done by The Friends of Dudley Archives & Local History Service which I was involved in. Where it mentions the "Abode" if it just says Netherton in the parish register, that's what would have been transcribed, if an actual address was stated, that address would have been transcribed.

Is this the baptism of the Emmanuel who you are looking for from FreeREG?

Baptism: 18 May 1834 St Thomas, Dudley
Emanuel - Parents: Thomas & Sarah Roberts - Abode: Netherton - Father's occ: Miner

Both the GRO Death Index and the burial from FreeREG which jimmy has found, give Emmanuel's age as 76, which is way out, but would family members have known when he was born as he wouldn't have had a birth certificate because they weren't introduced until 1st July 1837.

Personally, I would order the death certificate as this would give the address of where he died, age, occupation, cause of death and also the name of an informant of the death.

Hi

Yes, that is the correct baptism record as I know his parents were Thomas and Sarah.

I have just ordered the death certificate and will let you know what is on it.

I usually only order certificates I am confident are correct. Have you found yourself ordering many certificates that turn out to be incorrect? My family tree is quite extensive now and I'm not sure if that is what will happen as I clear up the brick walls that remain.
Dig

Postby BC Wench » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 am

It would be good to hear what is on the death certificate.

In all the years I have been doing family history I have only ordered one birth certificate which was to be incorrect, which was for a Mary Ann Hill, but I think I can be excused with that one as there are so many Mary Ann Hills :-) This was the time when there was nothing on the internet, just having to trawl through the registers on microfilm at the local Archives.

It's such a bonus now having the GRO web site which gives mother's maiden name for births from 1837-1917 (FreeBMD gives the mother's maiden name from 1911 onwards) and age on the death index.

Hope the certificate is the correct one.
BC Wench

Postby 18chestnut » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Emmanuel Roberts was buried in the churchyard of St.Andrews, Netherton on 6thJuly 1884 age 76years
18chestnut

Postby Dig » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Just received death certificate and this is what is on it.

Emmanuel Roberts
Date of Death: 4th July 1884
Place of Death: 53 Northfield Road, Netherton
Cause of Death: Paraplegia
Informant: Jane Bagnall, daughter

It appears that this is the correct record because the road, occupation and name of daughter are all correct. For some reason, the house number and age were mixed up on both the death and burial records. Not sure how this could happen!

Paraplegia suggests some kind of spinal injury and I was wondering whether it may have been linked to his occupation as a coal miner. Not sure if anyone knows of a way to find out?
Dig

Postby grangers14 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Well that is interesting!
He could even have had a stroke or something similar for his condition. Could see if there was any disasters in nearby collieries?

We don't have much info on him on BCC
https://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/t ... onnections
grangers14

Next

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics