Jane Dudley-Added

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Jane Dudley-Added

Postby Neville Bastable » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Surnames were a bit fluid in those days, but in this case what is generally accepted is that, although Sutton was the Barony of Dudley surname, so Edward 5th Baron was Edward Sutton, his illegitimate children were described as Dudley, so we have in this thread
Jane Dudley daughter of Edward Sutton.
Jane Dudley b abt 1589 (Dau of Edward Sutton Dudley 5th Baron of Dudley and Elizabeth Tomlinson)
who married about 1609 Richard Parkeshouse (sometimes called Parkes or even Pearsehouse ) of Sedgley.

To clarify matters a little Edward Sutton (1567-1643) 5th Baron of Dudley whose known ancestry can be traced back to the time of William the Conqueror did have a wife named Theodosia Harrington.
It was an arranged marriage and they had 4 (I think) Sutton children living in London from one of which Ferdinando, the present Earl of Dudley descends.
The title of Earl of Dudley wasn't created until the 19th Century.

Here we are concerned with Edward's subsequent meeting and falling in love with Elizabeth Tomlinson the beautiful sister of his gamekeeper's wife who bore him at least 11 children in Dudley to each of which was attached the surname Dudley.
These children were all acknowledged we believe, brought up well and mostly married locally.
It is likely that they have many descendants around here today and it would be nice to find out if you are one of them.
There are likely to be a number of people surnamed Dudley brought about by the liaison between Edward Sutton 5th Baron Dudley and a local girl Elizabeth Tomlinson.

There were four sons to the Baron's illicit relationship,
John and Edward dying young
but eldest son Robert Dudley (1587-1653) living and dying at Netherton Hall and his wife Margaret and youngest brother *Dud Dudley ( 1599- 1684) of iron smelting fame who married Eleanor Heaton (1606-1675), both I think produced families.

Note...About Richard Parkeshouse, *Dud Dudley another of Edward the 5th Baron's brood by Elizabeth Tomlinson wrote a book called Metallum Martis in 1665 describing his earlier experiments smelting iron with coal reather than charcoal.
He consistantly refers to Richard Parkeshouse his brother in law, who helped in some way as “Parkes.
This further variant of the family name might mean that some of us with ancestors of that name might be able to claim descent from thr Noble Lord, myself included as I have a 3 times great grandmother Phoebe Parks (1784-1834).
See bcconnections.
http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... =676251233

submitted
Jane Dudley or Sutton
Birth: About 1588 Of, Dudley, Stafford, England
Burial: Prob,Hurstmonceux Ch, , Sussex, England
Father: Sir Edward Sutton or Dudley
Mother: Elizabeth Tomlinson
Spouse: Richard Parkhouse
Marriage: 19 OCT 1609

It is understood that of Jane Dudley and Richard Parkeshouse Children,
daughter Margaret Parkeshouse(Persehouse) born about 1614 married a John Darby
Children are..
Jane born 1644,
Edward born 1645 (Carl's Higgs ancestor),
John born 1649 (Abraham Darby's father)
andThomas born 1653.
Interestingly the family I understand at this time became Quakers.

They were the grandparents of Abraham Darby of Coalbrookdale (1678-1717) who pioneered the use of coal for smelting iron.
Thanks to Carl Higgs for this info.
I believe Carl researches revealed he descends from Abraham Darbys uncle and therefore also from the ancient barony of Dudley.
The Parkeshouse (Persehouse) family is also quite interesting and apparently it is from them we have Parkes Hall, Woodsetton.

Jane Dudley and Richard Parkeshouse also had a son Edward.
All Saints Church, Sedgley has a carved pew commemorating Ricardus Parkshouse.
There is also a memorial tablet to Edward Pershouse who is actually Richard's son, demonstrating that either name seems valid.
Included on Edward's memorial are details of both his first and second wives.
These were Elizabeth Bradley and Margaret Asteley so presumably there would be Persehouse descendants in this line.
Neville Bastable

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics