Please archive - Stephen Rolinson/Alice Rose

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

Please archive - Stephen Rolinson/Alice Rose

Postby mallosa » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:13 pm

England, Pallot's Marriage Index, 1780-1837
Alice Rose
Spouse: Stephen Robinson
Marriage Date: 1790
Parish: Rowley Regis

Alice Rose - Stephen Rolinson.jpg
Alice Rose - Stephen Rolinson.jpg (33.13 KiB) Viewed 687 times

Staffordshire, England, Extracted Church of England Parish Records, 1538-1839
Alice
Maiden Name: Rose
Record Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 3 Aug 1790 Rowley, Staffordshire
Spouse: Stephen Rolinson

England, Select Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991
Alice Rolinson
Marital Status: Married
Burial Date: 30 Sep 1802
Burial Place: Stafford
Spouse: Stephen Rolinson
FHL Film Number: 328836
Reference ID: 328836
Last edited by mallosa on Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Re: Stephen Rolinson/Alice Rose

Postby mallosa » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:24 pm

Following a story on FB, I believe that the above are the parents of this Stephen...

https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... i=48695740

I have omitted some of the story (too long)

Alice Roleson worked in a nail making shop in Rowley; before attending work each day, she would take her baby son, Stephen to a relative’s house who would mind the baby while she went off to work. Alice’s husband, was also named Stephen
However, the 20th September 1802, would prove to be anything but a normal and mundane day in the lives of the Roleson family

James Smith was, as reported by witnesses, extremely angry and agitated after he had been pushed by a fellow male worker. He seized up a red hot iron nail rod from the forge and, with all his might, hurled it like a spear at his male opponent. However, the red hot rod, missing his intended target, struck Alice Roleson full in the chest. Her terrible screams of pain and agony were heard around the village and cries of Murder! Murder! from within the workshop brought people running to the scene of the fatal incident.
James Smith was arrested at the scene of his heinous crime

At the Coroner’s Inquest, a verdict of “Wilful Murder” was returned with villagers fully expecting James Smith to feel the full might of the law and face the hangman and hanged by the neck until dead.
The villagers were to suffer disappointment and shock however, when at the conclusion of his trial in Stafford, James Smith was found guilty of the lesser crime of “Manslaughter” and to the further vexation and outrage of the villagers, he received a fine of just one shilling for his evil deed that had deprive a husband of his wife and a son of his mother. But such was the ill feeling towards James Smith by the villagers and in fear for his life; he left the area never to return.
On a brighter conclusion to this awful tragedy, in 1825, Stephen junior, married Anne Parsons from Kingswinford, they had five children together
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby kdwoodie » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:22 pm

Found this but its a different name to James Smith
Rollason.PNG
Rollason.PNG (177.2 KiB) Viewed 665 times

The Times (London, Greater London, England)11 Oct 1802, Mon
kdwoodie

Postby mallosa » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:50 pm

Mmmm strange Kaye :? I can see his surname was BISSELL

I wonder what the result of the Coroner’s Inquest was on that?

mallosa

Postby kdwoodie » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:09 pm

I've searched and cannot find anything else apart from what you have.

Interestingly in the Parish reg for Rowley the witness to Stephen and Alices marriage was David Law, David Law married Mary Rose on 4 Dec 1790 the witnees' were Stephen Rolinson and Samuel Danks junr.
kdwoodie

Postby mallosa » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:08 pm

kdwoodie wrote:I've searched and cannot find anything else apart from what you have.

Interestingly in the Parish reg for Rowley the witness to Stephen and Alices marriage was David Law, David Law married Mary Rose on 4 Dec 1790 the witnees' were Stephen Rolinson and Samuel Danks junr.

Yes we've got those on BCC, both couples married in 1790 -

https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... i=36903749

https://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/brows ... =647040686

I wonder if Alice & Mary were sisters :think:

mallosa

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:15 am

are you still working on this or do I archive?
Northern Lass

Postby mallosa » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:59 am

Might as well archive please Jan

mallosa

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics