world war I

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

world war I

Postby juls » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:25 pm

Hi, hopefully i'm posting to the correct forum and with any luck someone might be able to give me some advice.

Right!! I have been asked by my father to try and find out what happened to his Grandfather after he apparently went AWOL during action in WW1.

All i have to go on is his name and address and that he might have been in the Artilliary.

Due to family rumours some men in buzbies/hats came to get him after 6 weeks AWOL. He was never heard from again.

My dad said that all he knows is that some time after they came to get him his wife received a bible and a cigarette case.

All my dad wants to know is whether he was shot for desertion or went missing in action.

Does anyone know where i can access this type of information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Juliette
[/img]
juls

Postby scorpio » Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:45 pm

Hi Juliette,

The first place to check would be the Commonwealth Wargraves Commission website:-

http://www.cwgc.org/

It sounds pretty likely that he was forced to go back and fight, and may have been killed in action. If that's the case, you should find him listed on the CWGC site. If not, let me know and I'll dig out the book I've got on WW1 records to see if I can give you some more pointers.

Dominic
scorpio

Postby juls » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:48 pm

Thanks Dominic, i've tried the site you suggested and found quite a few results for his name. Hopefully someone in the family will know a bit more about his parents names. Anyway at least its a start.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Juliette
juls

Re: world war I

Postby Rondeb43 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:59 pm

Hi Juliette

If you list the details you have I can check the ww1 pension records as these akso contain info such as attestaion and medical matters or discharge details.

Regards

Ron
Rondeb43

Postby Alec » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:17 pm

:D Hi

You could also try NATIONAL ARCHIVES http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
Alec

Forums need to be visited regularly and should be living things full of lively members not absent strangers!
Alec

Postby Iamme! » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi Juliette

Go to the "Great War Forum".

It's constantly active and full of knowledgable, helpfull people.

Howard
Iamme!

Return to The Archive